Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 Incorporating another dye lot
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1699 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2010 :  9:07:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm knitting a sweater with Cascade 220, and made a significant enough design change that used more yarn. I bought the yarn several months ago and the dye lot is long gone. The project may have to be finished with yarn in another dye lot (it's still too early to tell). I would incorporate the yarn of a different dye lot in a place that isn't so obvious, like going from sleeve to cuff.

The trick is that I would like to get the shade of the new dye lot close to what I already have. The shop I bought the yarn from has three skeins in two different dye lots on the shelf at this time. I know I'd be able to tell how much difference in shade there is by knitting a swatch, but then I wouldn't be able to return the yarn if it doesn't work out. Is there a way to compare the shades of different dye lots without knitting their respective skeins?

Thanks for anyone's help!

Ceil

Time is never a factor when joy is involved.

Coolj
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2010 :  1:55:13 PM  Show Profile Send Coolj a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have alternated the two dye lots in rows as though I'm knitting stripes. If I'm knitting straight, I'll do two rows. If I'm knitting circular, I'll knit one round and switch. It's a pain, but it can be done. As my knitting teacher, Marian, used to say, "It'll never be noticed on a galloping horse!"
Juanita
Go to Top of Page

Milinda
Permanent Resident

USA
3817 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2010 :  2:15:17 PM  Show Profile Send Milinda a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My grandmother used to say the same thing, Juanita. And I would handle the dye lot difference in much the same way.

M L
Go to Top of Page

KathyR
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
2969 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2010 :  4:04:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit KathyR's Homepage Send KathyR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would do the same, too. Another suggestion, though, is that if you belong to Ravelry to do a search of the yarn and dye lot on there. Quite often you will find people willing to sell some of their yarn off depending, of course, on how much you will need.

KathyR

If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got.
My Blog
http://www.flickr.com/groups/kr_members/ (Roselea Fibres)
Go to Top of Page

minh
Permanent Resident and Destasher Extraordinnaire

USA
3457 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2010 :  6:45:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit minh's Homepage Send minh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is there a way to wrap yarns from the various skeins onto the same pencil (just a short length, without cutting the yarn of course) to compare the dyelots? I find that it sometimes help to see the difference in yarn colors when several strands are close by, mimicking knitted fabric.

Otherwise, I second (fourth?) the recommendation of alternating skeins.
Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4398 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2010 :  07:13:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's exactly what I'm thinking, Minh. You need to be able to evaluate the yarns on the same terms - comparing knitted stitches to a smooth skein will not give you the real picture. I'd try wrapping yarns from various skeins onto the same pencil, or even onto a ruler if you want to see more of the yarns side by side.

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1699 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2010 :  10:14:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, everyone. Clara and minh, I think I'd go one easier on your idea and simply twist strands of both yarns together.

I'm on Ravelry, so I will post there--and here!) to see if anyone has that dyelot. Over at Rav, the LYS I bought the yarn from has a group, too, so that would be the first place to ask. Keep it local!

Ceil

Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
Go to Top of Page

McKennaO
New Pal

4 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2010 :  04:44:09 AM  Show Profile Send McKennaO a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have you checked with other LYSes as well as Cascade proper? I once went from an elongated vest to an oversized poncho - please don't ask, but suffice it to say there was no way to 'hide' a different dyelot - and managed to get another ten balls of the dyelot required from the producer.
No guarantees, and my heart goes out to you. The yarn-round-the-pencil/ruler would be an excellent option; you may be pleasantly surprised at the similarities among lots, especially those from the same year.
Good luck!

"Never doubt that a group of concerned citizens can change the world - indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead
Go to Top of Page

Catlady2
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2010 :  05:29:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Catlady2's Homepage Send Catlady2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When I worked at a yarn store, what I would do for customers would be to take a strand of the yarn they had, and lay it into the outer wraps of the ball of yarn (or hank or skein). I would then hold it in the sunshine (whenever possible, if not then any good bright light) and ask them to find the strand. Sometimes it would stick out like a sore thumb, other times it was impossible to tell.

This also works for two balls of different dyelot on the shelf, since you can unwind the outermost strand without causing too much "damage" to the whole ball. I realize this is harder in the skeined yarns, such as Cascade 220, but it can be done by untwisting the hank, then separating one strand. Again, done carefully and gently, won't tangle the skein.

If you do have a difference, the other suggestions to knit two rows of one dyelot, and two of another, work fine. Or, if you haven't gotten that far in the project, you could, as you mention, do things like cuffs and button bands and collar with the different yarn. A final suggestion is to go with a contrast colour, and don't bother to try to match it at all.
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9712 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2010 :  10:16:47 AM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I sort of ply the two together by hand, and look at them in natural light and in artificial. If I can't see the difference, I know that there are few others who will see it either. With the new digital cameras, it's a good idea to take a photo in good light and see if you still can't tell.

"At 40 miles an hour on a galloping horse..." was my grandmother's saying. hehe.. so true!

Lella
Zippiknits
Go to Top of Page

NMSue
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2010 :  10:20:48 AM  Show Profile  Send NMSue a Yahoo! Message Send NMSue a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To get the best match, take a skein of your yarn and a skein of the new dye lot and compare them in different lighting situations: outside in sunlight, inside in incandescent light, and fluorescent light and choose the one that is closest in all situations. The colors from different dyelots will appear different depending on the lighting situation.

You might also try some of the on-line discount yarn shops since they often carry remainders from older dye lots. Also, try regular on-line yarn shops because they might just have the dye lot you want. When you find the yarn you want, email them about dye lot. You might just get lucky.
Go to Top of Page

ayinhara
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2010 :  12:27:43 PM  Show Profile Send ayinhara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I cannot comment on how to use two different dyelots on a single garment, but I wanted to add to KathyR's comment. If you cannot find somebody with the dyelot that you need on ravelry.com, I would do a google search for the colorway and dyelot. I had a similar situation and was able to fine a single skein from another ravelry member and also find additional skeins from an online yarn store that I had never used before.
Go to Top of Page

kbshee
Permanent Resident

USA
4152 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2010 :  2:38:31 PM  Show Profile Send kbshee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My SIL works at an LYS and that LYS belongs to some giant online database of LYSes that share information about yarns and dyelots...you might ask at your LYS to see if they are part of that?

kim in oregon
http://kbshee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

claudiasawyer
New Pal

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2010 :  3:19:53 PM  Show Profile Send claudiasawyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When I have run into that problem my LYS has an option of ordering things from a knitting "consortium" on line. When all else fails the stripes method works too.
Go to Top of Page

eldergirl
Permanent Resident

USA
1784 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2010 :  4:03:26 PM  Show Profile Send eldergirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In tune with the "galloping horse" nostrum, there is a line in "The Mikado" by Gilbert and Sullivan, recommending an older lady to a suitor: "She may very well pass for forty-two in the dark with the light behind her!"

Love G&S! : ) Advice on changing dyelots also includes working the changes on the back only which would let the quotation apply!

Wouldn't that be hard? Usually we discover our need for more yarn as we are ending a project. A bit late for the custom of starting with the back. : (

Kim's LYS in Oregon sounds like a good place, with that link to an online LYS database!

Anna

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.45 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?