Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 So what do you do with it?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2010 :  2:35:33 PM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are you an organized person, who always has a planned recipient for your knitting? Or do you make things because they're fun, interesting, pretty, etc?

I confess that I often fall into the second category. There is nothing wrong with this - knitting is supposed to be enjoyable, so if I enjoy making these things, there's no problem, right?

The problem is that I end up with a lot of knitting with no home. I have two lap blankets (neither of which I needed) so there's no point to make another, right? Well, there is one OTN.

I'm a sucker for baby projects, even though I've no idea where they'll end up.

I LOVE to make hats, but rarely wear them. I just keep making them, hoping that someone in the family will want one.

Socks are a different story. They are all mine, with very few exceptions. No one else will care for them and appreciate them like I do. (Or darn them when they get a hole.)

I was digging through some storage containers and found a large felted bag. It's really cute, but I've never used it since I made it 3 or 4 years ago. I'm going to give it away to be used as the "basket" for a basket raffle. (It will be filled with quilty goodies)

A lot of my stuff ends up on display at the LYS. I got my fun out of it, and now it's being "used".

Am I the only one with lots of homeless projects?

Jan

Trina
Permanent Resident

USA
1871 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2010 :  3:57:48 PM  Show Profile Send Trina a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I doubt it! I knit things and have no one to give them to either. I am a shawl & scarf knitter & they could use homes. At least your things are being "used" at the LYS. If I had some yarn stores closer to me I might do the same as you!

Begin doing what you want to do now. We are not living in eternity. We have only this moment, sparkling like a star in our hand- and melting like a snowflake.
Marie Beyon Ray
Go to Top of Page

minh
Permanent Resident and Destasher Extraordinnaire

USA
3457 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2010 :  5:57:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit minh's Homepage Send minh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another knitter with no recipient in mind here!
The way I see it, scarves, hats, and socks can go to charity organizations that need "warm clothes".
Baby things can also go to charity or wait for a baby to be born to coworkers.
Washcloths go with extra toiletries to a shelter.

http://minkyknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

mathiemom
Chatty Knitter

USA
240 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2010 :  11:04:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit mathiemom's Homepage Send mathiemom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, Minh, you are so right! The key is to find one or more charities that need the kinds of things that you like to make. But (at least here in chilly Boston) that doesn't seem to be a problem. My knitting guild knits for a battered women's shelter where the residents' kids live, too. They're delighted to receive our knitted gifts, and even give us a list of the ages & sizes of current residents so that we know that our particular projects will be used soon. I think it's great to give brand-new handknitted items to folks who are having a hard time . . . donations of used clothes are good, too, but something that's nice and new and knit with care is even nicer. So keep knitting, everybody, and share your riches!

Wendy
Go to Top of Page

Evergreen
Warming Up

54 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2010 :  10:02:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Evergreen's Homepage Send Evergreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another place for those extra warm things is the local nursing home or hospice.
Go to Top of Page

Martheme
Sustaining Member

USA
1565 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2010 :  11:09:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Martheme's Homepage  Send Martheme a Yahoo! Message Send Martheme a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow! I have the opposite problem - I simply can't keep up! I have 2 small children who always seem to be outgrowing something . . . and even with my son's godmother and their grandmother knitting for them we always seem to be a few pairs of socks or mittens short come winter . . . and then knitting hats and mittens for the nieces and nephew . . . and the other relatives that want things. . . and then the things I want to knit for myself . . .

I am also trying to break into doing some knitwear design, so most of the things I'm knitting I'm also designing, which slows down the process a bit.

For those knitting without recipients, might I suggest putting yourself out there as a sample knitter? You can still pick and choose projects, often have the yarn given to you, and get to try out new designs before they are really out there . . . I know there are many new designers out there (including myself) who can always use an extra set of hands getting things done on time!

Blog: http://www.afewsheepshyofafarm.com/
Go to Top of Page

jtamsn
Permanent Resident

USA
1673 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2010 :  7:42:08 PM  Show Profile Send jtamsn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm in the group of folks who is always knitting something for someone other than myself. Occasionally I may make something up to have on hand for an extra gift, but almost always I have a recipient in mind.
judy
Go to Top of Page

agnesgooch
Gabber Extraordinaire

573 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2010 :  8:54:35 PM  Show Profile Send agnesgooch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My husband had this crazy idea a few years ago that he was going to rent a table at some craft fair or flea market or whatever and sell my hats. I made a bunch of hats, but he never got around to selling them. A few weeks ago a supervisor in another department at work asked me for some hats. I had given her department some hats (18 in all). She liked them because they were wool and would be warm even when wet. She wanted some for her church to give to the homeless and said she would go to the church board to request money to buy me wool to make them hats. I said getting me yarn would be no problem, I have plenty. I gave her 39 hats out of my hat stash. It was win-win as far as I'm concerned. I have more space in my apartment and the homeless have hats. Some of them are really crazy and colorful, so it would be cool to see some homeless person wearing one of my hats (it would be cooler if we didn't have a homeless problem, though).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24181181@N07/
Go to Top of Page

lawlerjb@comcast.net
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2010 :  9:44:04 PM  Show Profile Send lawlerjb@comcast.net a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am one of the knitters who is always making something with no idea where it will end up. It is always a thrill to me when I hear of a need and can offer a box of warm hand knitted things. It is great for me to hand over 100 or more sometimes and see the shocked look on the face of the person I offer them to. I combine leftover yarn and always make a different pattern so no two things are ever the same.
Go to Top of Page

granny purple
New Pal

22 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2010 :  03:17:35 AM  Show Profile Send granny purple a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My weakness is shawls, which go into a box after being testdriven once. Now & then one will go on display at the LYS. But it's easy to get on a roll--last year I made hats out of leftover sock yarn, using three strands--swap in as yarn runs out. Those hats were so quick to make, and such fun to see, mainly wool and machine washable. They went to a couple of charities, one of which came looking for them again this year, so I think they must have been a success. Baby hats can be quick the same way--one strand, just bump the needle size down. And a few years ago, it was 50 pairs of mittens out of leftover weaving yarn. Again, wooly, not necessarily matching, more like fraternal twins. Would work well with 2 strands of sock yarn. If you're a process knitter, then all of this is very satisfying. But the shawls, when they are of really special yarns, I keep for friends who need a hug.
Go to Top of Page

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2010 :  03:41:33 AM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow. Fifty pair of mittens! One hundred hats! I probably have a dozen hats, and I thought THAT was a lot! The most I've ever had in my stash was when I had over 100 dishcloths - they're finally gone, and this year I had to make more. I'll put out all my "one skein" projects again this year at the family Christmas and let everyone help themselves. That worked well the last couple years.

Do you try to use washable yarn for charity projects? I hesitate to donate 100% wool things that will be ruined by a trip through the wash machine.

Jan
Go to Top of Page

scarfitup
Chatty Knitter

191 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2010 :  05:28:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit scarfitup's Homepage Send scarfitup a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I have to admit that I am constantly making things that might not have a final destination. After starting out by gifting and/or donating all my knitting and crochet projects, I finally had to try to sell them. I am pleased to say that I have successfully done that and still do - at several galleries, boutiques, and the local museum store. I feel blessed. I often donate pieces to local charities, either one at a time or a collection for non-profit organizations. All that yarn (and my stash is outrageously our of control!), and I really can't afford to stop or to give it all away.

I simply can't stop producing, so I do love all the ideas generated above! I like the idea of the family giveaway at the holidays too!

Scarf It Up!
http://scarf-it-up.blogspot.com
http://flickr.com/photos/scarfitup
http://scarfitup.etsy.com
Become a Scarf It Up! Fan on FB: http://www.facebook.com/scarfitupwilmington
Go to Top of Page

ishka789
New Pal

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2010 :  06:31:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit ishka789's Homepage Send ishka789 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I usually knit for fun. I have made socks and felted purses for my sisters. I knit alot of simple caps for the homeless.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/ishka789

Pam
Go to Top of Page

jcappenberg
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2010 :  06:49:05 AM  Show Profile Send jcappenberg a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a 'treasure box' which holds all my finished projects. They range from socks to cardies and toys. When time for gift giving comes around, I root through there. Usually I find something that will suit the recipient.
Go to Top of Page

materavis
New Pal

40 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2010 :  07:03:56 AM  Show Profile Send materavis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm definitely in the "can't keep up" category. But I have 2 suggestions:
1)Freecycle--online communities of people who share locally
2) Cradle of Hope Adoption Center--families who travel overseas are asked to take a humanitarian gift (usually just a duffle bag full). Shoes are a much-needed item, but gloves, mittens, hats, sweaters, blankets, etc. are all welcome.
Go to Top of Page

Marg in Mirror
Permanent Resident

Canada
3205 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2010 :  08:05:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Marg in Mirror's Homepage  Send Marg in Mirror a Yahoo! Message Send Marg in Mirror a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jtamsn

I'm in the group of folks who is always knitting something for someone other than myself. Occasionally I may make something up to have on hand for an extra gift, but almost always I have a recipient in mind.
judy

Me too! Most of my UFOs are things I began pour moi and have set aside as time arrived to knit Christmas gifts, or to answer a call for knitted items for charity (Church mitten tree, prayer shawls, that sort of thing). So my stuff always seems to have a home, even if I don't know the home-owner!

TLWKOTB
http://knitsonthebus.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Evergreen
Warming Up

54 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2010 :  08:36:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Evergreen's Homepage Send Evergreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the Christmas idea. In fact, I have a sister and a niece who also knit and weave. This year I will suggest that we each knit or weave something, wrap it up, and we will open them at Christmas, then we will donate them to a charity.
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9712 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2010 :  11:44:53 AM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jan, great topic!

I knit for people, so that's what I buy yarn for and plan projects around. I will confess, though, that I've got a lot more sock yarn than feet to knit them for, since partway through my buying spree for sock yarns, we found out one of the DDs, and my sister, are allergic to wool, really allergic to it. So, the lovely hand knit socks are for me and DH, or the other DDs. DH loves his hiking boot socks, and so do I. There is no commercial sock that fits for hiking boots like the hand knit ones have. Very comfy!

I've never knit for babies other than my own or for charity, but baby things are lovely to knit, I agree. Very enjoyable to make. Hats? Hats always have a home. Happy knitting!

Lella
Zippiknits
Go to Top of Page

Sara Sue
Permanent Resident

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2010 :  12:54:38 PM  Show Profile Send Sara Sue a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lella

I'll gladly donate my feet to your sock yarn and knitting talents. Let me know where to send the measurements. !!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

mkfromKansas
Chatty Knitter

339 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2010 :  1:30:40 PM  Show Profile Send mkfromKansas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm so glad to hear you all tell of your no-want-abees. My kids wouldn't be caught dead in any of my shawls, are too young for lap robes, and a lot of friends would's be receptive to anything made of bargain store acrylic. And I can't afford to mail things to the overseas needy. BUT I have found I can dump my things at the Senior Center store, or a local church funded give-away place for the poor. They are amazingly grateful. You know I'd rather give away a shawl I spent six months making than put it in a garage sale and have someone try to bargain down my $10 price tag.
Go to Top of Page

PBELKNAP
Permanent Resident

USA
1127 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2010 :  04:24:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit PBELKNAP's Homepage Send PBELKNAP a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I find I tend to like to knit or crochet things that really send me. I'll look at a pattern and say "Oooooo, I must do this!" I used to despair over whom to give the finished product, but I find that the recipient materializes before I'm done with the project. One time, I was smitten with a crochet afghan pattern and just HAD to make it. We are overrun with afghans here, so I had no idea where it was going to end up. As luck would have it, a couple we know announced their engagement...voila! Instant wedding present!

Also, like someone said, there are always charitable destinations, too. I've made several Project Linus blankets, scarves for veterans, etc. Our knitting group each knit a long strip, put them all together, and donated the final afghan to the local senior center.

WIP = Socks (k), Owls Sweater (k), Hooded Duck Blanket (k)

Done this year: Sheep-Go-Round Sweater (k), V-neck pullover for Afghans for Afghans (k), Ladybug Afghan (c)

Twitter Name = WildKnitter

Blog: http://wildknitter.blogspot.com

If I could only do this for a living...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.71 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth