Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitting Needles and Security
 Wah! Wah! They confiscated my needles!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mathiemom
Chatty Knitter

USA
242 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2010 :  12:44:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit mathiemom's Homepage Send mathiemom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, after many years of frequent flying while knitting, I finally did have an unpleasant encounter. I was traveling on Gol Airlines on a domestic flight within Brazil. After x-raying my bag, the security guard unceremoniously ordered me to hand over my #6 Addi Turbo, despite the fact that it was at the time attached to the partial front of a sweater. I just took the knitting off the needle and handed it over. I explained to the guard that needles are allowed on US flights (where I've NEVER had a problem), and he proceeded to demonstrate that the needle was "sharp" by running his fingertip over the point. (No, no blood was drawn.)

It pained me to lose an expensive Addi Turbo, but it's the first time that has ever happened to me, and it's worth noting that I was in a foreign country on a domestic flight.

What was really weird is that, overall, Brazilian airport security is much more lax that in the US. Bottles of liquids? No problem! Shoes? Leave 'em on your feet! Surgical hardware that triggers the US alarms every time? Not a peep from the metal detector!

I figure it was bound to happen sometime, and I still bring my needles on planes.

Wendy

Clara
queen bee

USA
4400 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2010 :  12:48:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
GASP!

You have my utmost outrage and sympathy.

It's all weird and highly inconsistent, but alas, we must nod and smile and do what people with guns and badges ask. But... size SIX Addi Turbos?! They're duller than a PEN. I realize that logic doesn't get us anywhere, but still.

As I said, you have my sympathy.

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page

dschmidt
Permanent Resident

3935 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2010 :  1:47:48 PM  Show Profile Send dschmidt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I certainly hope you didn't have a sharpened pencil or a ballpoint pen with you. Both of those could do more damage than Addi Turbos size 6!

Donna in VA

The Honor Roll? It's easier here than in school. Scroll up to "Want to Make Betty Happy?" and be an Honor Roll member.
Go to Top of Page

mathiemom
Chatty Knitter

USA
242 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2010 :  6:19:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit mathiemom's Homepage Send mathiemom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the sympathy! It helps me heal my wounded inner knitter. Luckily I had another project in my checked bag for the long flight back to the US (which got on the plane without incident), but my hands did get awfully itchy on the intra-country flight without my trusty knitting.

Wendy
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2010 :  7:46:40 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
With circulars, the points are not what concerns security. That lovely little cable between the needles could be used to restrain someone.

Far fetched, I know but that's an option.

Brought to you by the tongue in cheek-y monkey
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Go to Top of Page

knittingrunner
Seriously Hooked

USA
799 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2010 :  3:32:42 PM  Show Profile Send knittingrunner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wendy, I'm sorry for your loss.

Usually my knitting keeps me well enough occupied that I can ignore the individual in need of a good garroting (sp?).
So far the tiny circs I use for socks have been left in my posession.

Run, Bike, Knit, Repeat!
knittingbiker on Ravelry
Go to Top of Page

Luann
Permanent Resident

USA
2661 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2010 :  6:40:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Luann's Homepage Send Luann a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of course, you could also use the yarn to restrain (or garrote) someone... or your shoelace, belt, purse strap, scarf, etc.

Luann

Knit and let knit!
http://www.luannocracy.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Punctuatedknitter
Seriously Hooked

819 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2010 :  8:53:37 PM  Show Profile Send Punctuatedknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Like Luann said, they can't restrict everything someone could be strangled with. Shoelaces, belts, even bare hands (well, not my hands, they are tiny).

The restrictions on knitting needles and people thinking of creative ways Knitting Ninja MacGyver could hijack a plane with them, is all so much security theater. It is supposed to make us feel like the authorities are being vigilant, but who carries most of the knitting needles? And who does most/all of the violence? Like some terrorist is going to count on sitting next to a knitter on a plane and being able to grab the needles and strangle someone important before they get their rear end kicked.

Drunk and disorderly is much more disruptive to air travel than an extra bottle of hand lotion that doesn't fit in your quart zippie, but no one has stopped alcohol in the airport or on the plane.

Rant aside, my carry-on knitting is always on bamboo sock needles. Like knitting biker, it helps me stay calm, and I don't want to lose them.

Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1731 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2010 :  8:54:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is why I always take socks on bamboo needles. Addis are too expensive to lose.

Ceil

Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
Go to Top of Page

PBELKNAP
Permanent Resident

USA
1133 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2010 :  05:29:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit PBELKNAP's Homepage Send PBELKNAP a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've always heard that it's better to bring cheap needles you don't mind losing...

I blame that episode of NCIS last year where the murderer grabbed a sleeping knitters needles and stabbed a guy in the neck...the airlines probably saw the episode, too...LOL.

Seriously, though, people are right. What about pens, which everyone is allowed to bring on board without incident???

WIP = Socks (k), Owls Sweater (k), Hooded Duck Blanket (k)

Done this year: Sheep-Go-Round Sweater (k), V-neck pullover for Afghans for Afghans (k), Ladybug Afghan (c)

Twitter Name = WildKnitter

Blog: http://wildknitter.blogspot.com

If I could only do this for a living...
Go to Top of Page

jtamsn
Permanent Resident

USA
1681 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2010 :  11:09:47 AM  Show Profile Send jtamsn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, my! I would mourn my Addi's (like I did when the dog chewed the cable on my 8's). Such inconsistency!
judy
Go to Top of Page

Wen
Permanent Resident

Australia
3244 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2010 :  3:28:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Wen's Homepage Send Wen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was told by someone who works in airport security that passenger safety is not their primary concern. It is maintaining the integrity of the plane. This means that they are looking for things that people could use to damage the plane, not things that can be used to harm people.

Wen

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wen1965/sets/72157623175907664/show/ 2010 FO
http://wenswoolgathering.wordpress.com/ My blog
Go to Top of Page

mathiemom
Chatty Knitter

USA
242 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2010 :  10:03:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit mathiemom's Homepage Send mathiemom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wen, that sounds right. What they don't seem to understand is that, if I have my knitting to keep me busy in flight, I'm a lot less likely to gouge their plane with my pens or deface them with my markers.

On the garrote thing: I once heard something about that from a flight attendant (who was admiring my knitting). She said that there was chatter about disallowing circs over 32" for that reason, but that a shorter cord would be virtually impossible to use for that purpose.

Whatever. I agree that drunk and disorderly passengers are a lot more disruptive than knitters. And if there's one think we learned from 9/11, the shoe bomber, etc., is that someone intent on terrorizing a plane will figure out a way to do it regardless of the specific objects that are forbidden. Sad, but true.

In the future, I'll stick to wood or bamboo for situations involving security screens. I don't agree with the paranoid state of affairs, but annoying the screeners is obviously not going to help.

Wendy
Go to Top of Page

grannyjannie
New Pal

10 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2011 :  06:11:25 AM  Show Profile Send grannyjannie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is so sad! I was chatting with another knitting friend the other day, and she told me of her experience a while back coming BACK from Mexico. She'd gone into the country with her knitting no problem at all, but when she was leaving the country, the airport security tried to take her needles. Well, this woman is pretty outspoken, and she told them they could NOT have her expensive needles. She made them find her checked bag and put them into it! Not sure how well that would go over (or if it would even be possible for all of us), but wanted to share that was one person's solution to the problem.

I have only flown between Chicago and Boston with my knitting, (always circular needles) and have never had even a slight problem. Thank heavens! I NEED my knitting to keep me calm in the Friendly Skies.
Go to Top of Page

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2042 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2011 :  2:48:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have some Signature dp's and there is no way I would try to take them on a plane, any plane, in any country!

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!

Go to Top of Page

indigokitty
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2011 :  8:38:03 PM  Show Profile Send indigokitty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i recently had a (pair of?) size6 or so clover bamboo circs confiscated by Mexican security on a flight back to the US. They also confiscated my crochet hook, but let me keep the size 9 Harmonies that I had on separate, longer, cables. I think they weren't sure what all those things were for, and felt that they had to confiscate something, so they chose what looked less critical. There were stitches on the Clovers, a hat-in-progress that wasn't progressing very well, but I was much happier pulling off those stitches than I would have been pulling the stitches of my lacy shawl off my Harmonies! Just because they were nice enough to let me keep them I refrained from garroting anybody.
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9712 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2011 :  5:44:04 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lol!

Well, there is International Relations and all that to be considered, too. teehee

Lella

Zippiknits

The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.
Go to Top of Page

Cecioboe
Seriously Hooked

USA
824 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2011 :  4:21:10 PM  Show Profile Send Cecioboe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We can't have knitting needles on flights from Mexico or Belize either. :-(

Ceci

Aw, gee, c'mon and see: http://knittinreed.blogspot.com

Cecioboe on Ravelry
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.41 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth