Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Machine Talk
 Standard Gauge Machines
 singer 560 vs 700
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

biesta
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2010 :  11:04:59 AM  Show Profile Send biesta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, I am a non hand knitter, but have used the Bond Sweater machine the last 3 years to make blankets, hats and scarves. I am looking for a machine that reduces the hand manipulated stitches as much as possible; be able to create different designs and patterns, baby things, etc.

I am looking at a couple of knitting machines on ebay to purchase. One being a Singer 560 and the other a 700 memo matic; both come with ribbers. What would be the difference between these two. I have done some research on line but am unsure of the main difference between the two Which one would you buy? Is there a better model I should look for? All opinions and suggestions is greatly appreciated. Thanks

justinaknits
New Pal

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2010 :  7:25:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit justinaknits's Homepage Send justinaknits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi,
First of all, both of these machines are for fine yarns, you cannot use the yarns you used on the Bond. You will need to buy cone yarns, 2/24 or 2/15 are good yarns to buy.
I would say the 700 would be best for a beginner, has lots of room to grow with, will do many things, but is very easy to learn. The 560 is an electronic machine, lots more complicated to use, and lots more that can go wrong with it, and expensive to get fixed if it does.
I have the 700, and you can do fairisle (2 color design knitting), intarsia (picture knitting), tuck stitch, knitweave, slipstitch, punch lace, or if you add a lace carriage, real lace called fashion lace.
With any machine, you have to do certain things by hand, like cables,decreases and such.
Here is a group you can join to learn more.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Singer-Studio360-700knittingmachines/
If you want to use heavy yarns, then you would need to get a Singer SK155 bulky machine. It does most of what the 700 does, except for fashion lace.

Justina
http://justinaknits.com
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Singer-Studio360-700knittingmachines/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by