Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Talk about yarns reviewed in Knitter's Review
 Quince & Co.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Clara
queen bee

USA
4403 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2010 :  6:11:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As many of you know, Pam Allen has started her own yarn company. It's called Quince & Co., and the site went live on Tuesday of this week. A new yarn company is always an exciting thing in our little world, so I dedicated this week's newsletter to Quince and its initial four yarns. I hope you enjoy!

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher

sprboston
New Pal

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2010 :  7:01:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit sprboston's Homepage  Send sprboston a Yahoo! Message Send sprboston a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, My Goodness, I want to work with this ALL! Such a delicious yarn, such a wonderful approach. I love it and wish them lots of success!

Sean
Go to Top of Page

frenetic@charter.net
Permanent Resident

1386 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2010 :  04:36:41 AM  Show Profile Send frenetic@charter.net a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am cross posting, but I am very excited to see this yarn! I love Pam Allen's patterns! I ordered 5 skeins of Lark in Winesap to knit the scarf Isla. I can't wait to get my yarn and try it!
Sharon
Go to Top of Page

jaxie985
New Pal

9 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2010 :  05:25:17 AM  Show Profile Send jaxie985 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got 2 skeins of the Chickadee wt yesterday at KnitWit in Portland and I'm really impressed--it's bouncy, soft, and the colors are amazing. I'm so pleased at the quality; the prices are very reasonable! When I get a minute I'll investigate the patterns.
Go to Top of Page

knitree
Seriously Hooked

688 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2010 :  05:51:54 AM  Show Profile Send knitree a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What a yummy post for first thing in the morning! The yarns look wonderful, I absolutely love Castle Pullover (short or long-sleeved versions are dancing in my head), and all of the Chickadee patterns have wonderful details - have to use the zoom feature to really capture that though. (Using zoom, does anyone else see a miss-crossed cable on the bottom of the Kilkenny Cowl- last picture?) Really, all of the patterns look great, and the model is a beautiful peaches-and-cream girl. I'll be showing these to my daughter, whose knit-wear style is changing to a more sophisticated look as she enters middle-school.

Clara, will you please express our thanks to Pam Allen, and also let her know that curious minds would like to know the type of sheep's wool being sourced for the yarn? It makes a difference, you know!

edit: when you download a pattern, keep in mind a couple things: there are 3 downloads per pattern but they expire within a few days (at least for me), once you hit download the pattern showed up but did not print until I went to a save file - this extra step is mentioned but I missed it and could result in losing your 3 downloads if you aren't mindful, and finally, it would be really nice if I could save to my Rav library pattern... will have to check that out from the Rav site and see if it is possible....

Tree
Taking simple patterns and complicating them...
Go to Top of Page

frenetic@charter.net
Permanent Resident

1386 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2010 :  06:19:37 AM  Show Profile Send frenetic@charter.net a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jaxie, what color did you get?
Go to Top of Page

cgknitters@canoemail.com
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2010 :  06:30:49 AM  Show Profile Send cgknitters@canoemail.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm really happy to hear of this venture. Pam certainly has an excellent base for founding a successful knitting yarn venture.

However, as a Canadian, I'm disappointed that all the terminology is American -- no metric needle sizes, and the sts are given per inch, not per 4 inches. Perhaps this company isn't interested in marketing to the 'northern neighbours'.

Cynthia
Go to Top of Page

ikkivan
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
542 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2010 :  06:39:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit ikkivan's Homepage Send ikkivan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd like to know from those who already are knitting with this yarn how it feels for next-to-the-skin wear (from the review, I do understand that the Puffin may not be suitable) ... when I'm told only that the content is "wool," that doesn't give me enough information. I'd like to try some, but would like to know more before ordering.

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time.
Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4403 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2010 :  06:43:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All the yarns except Osprey are made with varying grades of Territory Wool - That's the wool that comes from sheep that graze on the western ranges. Usually Columbia. To my touch, they're on par with Cascade 220 or softer. Nowhere near as hearty as, say, a Romney or even the Icelandic in Reynolds Lopi. Osprey is a little finer, probably on par with adult Merino (i.e. not the superfine or fine stuff, but not really prickly).

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page

marfa
Permanent Resident

USA
2024 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2010 :  06:44:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit marfa's Homepage Send marfa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How do.

How yummy!

Clara, thanks for writing about Pam's new venture & all these cool, wonderful items that are so tempting!

Martha

http://marfasmewsings.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

NutmegOwl
Gabber Extraordinaire

581 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2010 :  06:53:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit NutmegOwl's Homepage Send NutmegOwl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you dig around on the site, there are more patterns than are displayed in the original patterns tab ... go to the blog and look at the free patterns - then see the other suggestions that show below. I enjoy being about to see more of what's in store. And I confess to finding the yarn names alone rather joyous.

-----
Nutmeg Owl
Quaecumque sunt vera
http://www.owlwaysknitting.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Carol Metzger
New Pal

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2010 :  06:59:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Carol Metzger's Homepage  Send Carol Metzger a Yahoo! Message Send Carol Metzger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was all set to be outraged at the "pattern" for a garter stitch scarf . . . . Then I downloaded it (FREE!) and read through all the helpful and encouraging text. Hats off to Pam. She has made a very welcoming project for new knitters.

For years I have longed for a return of Brunswick Germantown. I might have to get a skein of Osprey to compare with my vintage skeins.

http://cfmdesigns.net/
Go to Top of Page

Lanea
Permanent Resident

USA
5190 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2010 :  07:42:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lanea's Homepage Send Lanea a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am so very excited about this new yarn. The huge variety of colors they've chosen for the four initial yarns is fantastic, and I think the pattern support looks great. I'm surprised they've been able to keep the yarn so affordable, as well. It gives knitters a great opportunity to buy wonderful yarn while also supporting American farmers and designers. Kudos to Quince and Co.

I love their site design too, but I wonder about the lack of contrast between the white text and light blue background on a few of the pages. I predict some complaints about that. Other than that, I think it's one of the most beautiful knitting sites that's shown up on the web in a while. I think Twist and Quince and Co. are really raising the bar for web design on knitting sites, and I love to see that. We knitters love beauty, after all, hence all that knitting.

See proof of insanity: http://crazylanea.com/
Read my audiobook reviews: http://booksforears.com/
Buy handmade sock knitting bags: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5031570
Join the KR Webring: http://www.crazylanea.com/fiberarts/2006/07/the_knitters_re.html
Go to Top of Page

PainterWoman
Chatty Knitter

USA
143 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2010 :  09:58:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit PainterWoman's Homepage Send PainterWoman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Two reads about KnitWit in two days! Lovely memories of a trek to Portland from Texas. Thanks for your tasty writing on the yarns (reminded me of wine-writing!! poetic sensations). And I am so glad that Ms. Allen is supporting business development in Maine. I'm off to look at patterns and sample cards.

http://Journal-to-a-muse.blogspot.com
The witty woman is a tragic figure in American life. Wit destroys eroticism and eroticism destroys wit, so women must choose between taking lovers and taking no prisoners. --Florence King
Go to Top of Page

Martheme
Sustaining Member

USA
1565 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2010 :  07:50:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Martheme's Homepage  Send Martheme a Yahoo! Message Send Martheme a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its here! Its here!

Wednesday night, moments after Clara posted the links, I ordered 3 hanks of Chickadee in Delft to knit a sweater for my daughter. Having a 2 year old is great for trying out new yarns ;)

I received a confirmation email immediately and an email confirming that it has shipped by the next afternoon. The yarn arrived with Saturday's mail! Granted, I live in New England so it didn't have to travel far but its very exciting that it has arrived already!

I have not knit with it yet but I can't wait to swatch it up! Its light and springy and squishy and soft and all around yummy! The strands have a nice amount of twist, and I'm predicting will not pill easily and will wear well - important factors when knitting for a child. Its also soft enough that I don't anticipate any "scratchy" comments from the little one . . .

I'll post again after I have a chance to swatch it up . . .

Blog: http://www.afewsheepshyofafarm.com/
Go to Top of Page

frenetic@charter.net
Permanent Resident

1386 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2010 :  09:52:55 AM  Show Profile Send frenetic@charter.net a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I placed my order on Friday and it arrived Monday (I live in AL)! It is just as Martheme described! I was really surprised by it's softness and cannot wait to order more. I'm sure Quince is going to be very successful! Anxious to try one of the sweater pattens and yarns!
Sharon
Go to Top of Page

minh
Permanent Resident and Destasher Extraordinnaire

USA
3460 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2010 :  5:10:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit minh's Homepage Send minh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another happy customer here! I got Lark to knit the Castle pullover and Chickadee to knit the Welcome hat.

I wonder if Quince and co will make the color card shown in Clara's review available for purchase. That would be really helpful when ordering online, especially for colorwork projects.

http://minkyknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

jaxie985
New Pal

9 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2010 :  07:22:29 AM  Show Profile Send jaxie985 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by frenetic@charter.net

Jaxie, what color did you get?

I got Bird's Egg and Twig. I'm about halfway through a cowl using a wave stitch pattern I made up and it's really lovely.

I made the comment the other day that I can look out the window and see many of the Quince yarn colors in the landscape...
Go to Top of Page

frenetic@charter.net
Permanent Resident

1386 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2010 :  08:48:43 AM  Show Profile Send frenetic@charter.net a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I emailed them and asked them if they are going to have color cards available--this from Pam Allen:

"And, yes, color cards and yarn samples are in the works. As soon as they're available, we'll be posting the news on our blog and in our e-letter, so stay in touch!"

I started on my scarf and am loving the yarn!
Sharon
Go to Top of Page

frenetic@charter.net
Permanent Resident

1386 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2010 :  09:08:19 AM  Show Profile Send frenetic@charter.net a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wouldn't you love to see some fairisle patterns with all these pretty colors?
Sharon
Go to Top of Page

Luann
Permanent Resident

USA
2670 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2010 :  09:36:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Luann's Homepage Send Luann a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mine came yesterday! It's going to be my vacation knitting next month - the Kilkenny cowl in Chickadee, color Winesap. I am dearly hoping that those sample cards make it into the goodie bags at the retreat...

Knit and let knit!
http://www.luannocracy.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.72 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by