Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Lighting Comparison Question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Panhandle Jane
Seriously Hooked

USA
607 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2010 :  2:17:11 PM  Show Profile Send Panhandle Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now that I'm retired, I want a good floor standing craft lamp to put by my chair. I have an excellent Ott Lite on my sewing machine, and I have one of the little portables that I use with a quilting machine I take to class. I notice, however, that there is also a brand called Daylight that has a lamp that I really like the looks of. How do the two brands compare? Do you have any suggestions as to what has worked well for you?

Blog--http:\\www.panhandleknitandsew.blogspot.com
Ravelry--panhandlejane

lella
Permanent Resident

9714 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2010 :  4:10:49 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The one Daylight Ott light I have is next to my sewing machine, and is portable, like yours. So, I just took an old Bridge lamp and put a "Daylight" tri-level fluorescent bulb in it, and that is what I use by my chair for knitting or, cough, spinning (whenever that little miracle happens). The Ott light I have is fluorescent anyway.

Lella
Zippiknits
Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2010 :  6:07:53 PM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love my stand alone ott light. I have used it for yrs and it and me are still going strong. Haven't use the other one. My light is on wheels so it is easy to move wherever I want it. I highly recommend the ott.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

Catlover
Gabber Extraordinaire

396 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2010 :  10:32:17 AM  Show Profile Send Catlover a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have two floor lamps, one an Ott and the other a Verilux. I love both of them but prefer the Verilux because it is a little less bright and easier on my eyes. Both are full spectrum and are great for both knitting and reading.
Go to Top of Page

prixby
Chatty Knitter

USA
156 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2010 :  8:21:02 PM  Show Profile Send prixby a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a standalone Ott floor lamp and a couple of portable Ott table lamps. Love them all, and have used them for years.

Life is what happens while we're listening to music.
Go to Top of Page

yarngourmet
New Pal

4 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2010 :  04:26:45 AM  Show Profile Send yarngourmet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Definitely Ott Light. I have 3 and have given them as gifts. A touch expensive, but wort every penny.
Go to Top of Page

jlpanecki
New Pal

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2010 :  04:46:55 AM  Show Profile Send jlpanecki a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a table top version- and it's wonderful. I like that I can do hand sewing, embroidery or beading, and knit with dark colors - at night.

Worth the cost, definitely!
Janet

Go to Top of Page

suzsmile
New Pal

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2010 :  04:58:13 AM  Show Profile Send suzsmile a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have 2 Ott Light floor lamps, one for my sewing machine and one to use at night when I knit. I also have a Verilux floor lamp. I like both of them. They are definitely a great help when you want to work at night or in low light. I bought both the Ott Lights when JoAnn Fabrics was having a sale, so they were much more reasonable.

Suzanne
Go to Top of Page

nalind@juno.com
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2010 :  04:59:35 AM  Show Profile Send nalind@juno.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i use ott and daylight compact flourscent bulbs in my existing floor lamp. i have a couple different kinds to mix the light color and i have increased the wattage from 60 to 75 and 100...it helps too.
Go to Top of Page

cathy moore
New Pal

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2010 :  05:33:42 AM  Show Profile Send cathy moore a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I definitely love my Ott lights. My husband even uses one to tie flies for fishing. I got an add on magnifier for my floor lamp - comes in really handy for those tiny stitches or frogging fine yarns.
Go to Top of Page

sockjoan
Warming Up

Australia
60 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2010 :  05:46:36 AM  Show Profile Send sockjoan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a portable Ott lamp - an extremely useful accessory. It can be moved to wherever I need it; I like to hang it above my knitting-machine, for instance.
Go to Top of Page

scarfitup
Chatty Knitter

192 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2010 :  06:17:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit scarfitup's Homepage Send scarfitup a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have 2 small Ott Lites - one by the couch where I do most of my fiber work at night, and one in my studio on the counter where I often do bead and wire work and some photography. Both work beautifully and provide just the right light! You can't go wrong with Ott.

Scarf It Up!
http://scarf-it-up.blogspot.com
http://flickr.com/photos/scarfitup
http://scarfitup.etsy.com
Become a Scarf It Up! Fan on FB: http://www.facebook.com/scarfitupwilmington
Go to Top of Page

theatreknitter
Warming Up

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2010 :  06:22:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit theatreknitter's Homepage Send theatreknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm with most of the others, love my ott light. I got it for a great deal at Micheal's the day after thanksgiving. Keep an eye out for sales, they are pricey. Mine is a table top, which I prefer because I can move it from room to room. I hope to have a designated craft room soon, so maybe I will get a floor one then. Also, mine has an outlet in the base. I find this EXTREMELY useful for charging the iphone so that I can listen to my podcasts and such. not sure if they make it anymore.

one piece of advice, be careful with the bulb. they are expensive to replace.

Betsy
http://theatreknitter.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

cox@sewkis.com
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2010 :  06:24:58 AM  Show Profile Send cox@sewkis.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a Verilux I received as a gift for an Oreck purchase. It's good because of of high and low light switch. However, I have two OTT floor lamps (a fancier one over my recliner), a basic one by my desk, a small task lamp on top of my dryer -- can't sort laundry or check for stains without it, table lamps on each nightstand (excellent for reading) and a large one on my desk at work. I gave the small task lamp to a friend as a birthday gift and she said it was the best present ever, I also gave her husband a nice desk lamp for his birthday (and he also loves it). In other words, I should own stock in this company. Also, their customer service is terrific -- my original task lamp quit working -- I sent it back (several years old, no receipt) and was only charged shipping for the repair.
Go to Top of Page

stitchellen
Warming Up

60 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2010 :  08:07:28 AM  Show Profile Send stitchellen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have two of the portable Ott lights; I take one of them with me when I travel. My Ott floor lamp lives with my sewing machine. All three are wonderful "couldn't live without" possessions.
Go to Top of Page

KathleenR
New Pal

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2010 :  08:57:33 AM  Show Profile Send KathleenR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since I am losing my sight due to Macular Degeneration at age 71, but am an avid knitter and needlepointer, I have four craft lights in my home. Two are floor models with magnifiers and LED lights that are supposed to last for 100,000 hours (the equivalent of ten years of constant use)! I purchased them online from the 'Gold Violin' Company, which specializes in products for people with difficulties. These lamps are placed where I do most of my knitting, one next to my bed and the other next to a sunroom chaise, and find they are the next best thing to being outdoors on my shaded swing where the light is perfect!

Secondly I have a small tabletop Ott Light that I purchased while on vacation as I wanted to do some paperwork crafts- it was small enough to tuck into my suitcase. Increased lighting is always welcome! While on vacation I sat on the porch outdoors to do my knitting...

Finally I have a floor Verilux with no magnifier but is 'broken'- even though it has a new bulb, it still won't work. Must get it into some shop soon and hope they will fix it- I really detest the 'disposable society' we are currently living through! When I can get my Verilux repaired I will get a magnifier for it.

Oh, I have two small lamps with magnifiers that hang around my neck via adjustable cords. They come with several increasingly strong magnifyiers that can be attached on top of the light. They are called the 'Beam n' Read' with magnifiers. They are good for reading but also for fine or complicated knitting or use with dark yarn. I purchased them online from one of the popular yarn shops.

Good luck to all of us who have vision problems. Good lighting especially with a magnifier really helps.

KathleenR
Go to Top of Page

dichroinfusion
New Pal

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2010 :  10:07:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit dichroinfusion's Homepage  Send dichroinfusion a Yahoo! Message Send dichroinfusion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Panhandle Jane

Now that I'm retired, I want a good floor standing craft lamp to put by my chair. I have an excellent Ott Lite on my sewing machine, and I have one of the little portables that I use with a quilting machine I take to class. I notice, however, that there is also a brand called Daylight that has a lamp that I really like the looks of. How do the two brands compare? Do you have any suggestions as to what has worked well for you?

Blog--http:\\www.panhandleknitandsew.blogspot.com
Ravelry--panhandlejane

Leeann Puleston
Go to Top of Page

dichroinfusion
New Pal

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2010 :  10:10:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit dichroinfusion's Homepage  Send dichroinfusion a Yahoo! Message Send dichroinfusion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Jane I've tried Ottlights and Verilux unfortunatly the Ottlight transformer blew up just days after the warranty expired the same happened with my Verilux the difference is that Verilux sent me a new lamp Ottlight just said tough toenails basically. I've used other lights in different situations but keep going back to Verilux. Good luck with your hunt.

Leeann

Leeann Puleston
Go to Top of Page

Whoopdedo
New Pal

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2010 :  11:16:03 AM  Show Profile Send Whoopdedo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi all...my question regarding knitting lamps, Do they run hot like a regular light bulb? My reading lamp puts off so much heat it's uncomforable. Thanks..
Go to Top of Page

Kyrstellaine
New Pal

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2010 :  11:17:05 AM  Show Profile Send Kyrstellaine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love both of my Ott lights, especially the one that came with both floor and table clamp bases.

Ravelry: Kyrstellaine
Go to Top of Page

JMatGam
New Pal

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2010 :  2:37:10 PM  Show Profile Send JMatGam a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a floor Ott and a travel Ott. I actually take the travel one when we travel. The lighting in hotel rooms is horrible, so the Ott is great for reading or knitting.

Knit happy! Janet
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.81 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.