Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitting Needles and Security
 Wood needles with metal fittings
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

notmuch2say
Chatty Knitter

147 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2010 :  09:41:50 AM  Show Profile Send notmuch2say a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Giving this suggestion so anyone flying with needles that are wooden but have metal fittings where the cord joins...have them out and ready to be physically inspected. They will be allowed on the plane with you.

I was told that some of the fittings do look similar to metal shell casings...live and learn!

So to save you the additional time delay...have them out and ready to be seen by a TSA agent. I made two new knitting friends this way!

minh
Permanent Resident and Destasher Extraordinnaire

USA
3460 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2010 :  8:53:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit minh's Homepage Send minh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hadn't thought about the joins, thanks for the info!

The TSA searched my backpack the other day: I thought it was because of my Addi needles but what prompted the search was my "pattern tamers", the magnet strips I use for my lace charts.

http://minkyknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

miele
Chatty Knitter

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2010 :  04:14:51 AM  Show Profile Send miele a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you. I am packing for Scotland now, and bringing my rosewood circular which has that type of join. Thanks for the heads-up!
Go to Top of Page

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2046 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2010 :  06:17:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm leaving next Tuesday, on Continental. Going through security will be a breeze to begin my trip, as I am leaving out of a very small airport. Returning will be interesting, since I will have my Knitpicks binder with with all my cable needles and a leather holder with 3 sets of dp bamboo needles. It won't be surprising if they ask to see in my carry on, as I've been asked before, by security, if they can look in my bag. I just smile and say "Of course!". I always carry knitting in progress, so they can see what is going on.

The last time I flew out of this very small airport the security reminded me I had a lighter in my pocket and that was a no no! Oops! This time I won't have that problem, since I have quit smoking since then!

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe