Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitting as Therapy
 Stress Relief
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

71Bear
Chatty Knitter

USA
130 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2010 :  8:37:48 PM  Show Profile Send 71Bear a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I started knitting a couple of months ago to help relieve stress.
I have an auto-imuine desease and also several other health issues (that seem to keep on adding up each and every week) and was told that stress made it worse.
I have a VERY stressful job and of course I cannot look for a new job so someone suggested knitting.
I have taken toxic people out of my life (or working on it)
So now knitting is helping me out with stress relief.
I bring my knitting everywhere and when I start feeling a little stressed I pull out my needles and yarn and knit.
I knit during conference calls, I knit while waiting in doctors waiting rooms.
I knit at nite when I cannot sleep.
Becky

"Works to support her new hobby of knitting and old hobby of mandolin playing"

mertle
Permanent Resident

USA
1734 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2010 :  02:32:14 AM  Show Profile Send mertle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great coping plan, Becky! When your mind in on the knitting, there's little room for unhappy thoughts. You go, girl!

Marilyn
My Bags
Go to Top of Page

71Bear
Chatty Knitter

USA
130 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2010 :  06:41:43 AM  Show Profile Send 71Bear a Private Message  Reply with Quote
the only problem is, I end up staying up very late into the nite knitting.
i cant believe it took me two years to find knitting to help cope.
thanks

Go to Top of Page

minh
Permanent Resident and Destasher Extraordinnaire

USA
3464 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2010 :  5:56:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit minh's Homepage Send minh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Becky, how about reading knitting books or looking at pattern books before going to bed? I find that this soothes me and helps me fall asleep (and dream of knitting) instead of tossing and turning.

I'm glad you have found knitting to help relieve your stress! Knitting has been successfully used as part of therapy in many circumstances.
Go to Top of Page

71Bear
Chatty Knitter

USA
130 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2010 :  6:44:10 PM  Show Profile Send 71Bear a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do have some pattern books to read next to bed. My problem is once i start knitting I dont want to stop, I find it so relaxing and fun.

Go to Top of Page

Lanea
Permanent Resident

USA
5192 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2010 :  05:37:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lanea's Homepage Send Lanea a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey--I know this Becky! Hi Becky! I'm so glad you're here.

I think knitting is a great stress reliever too.

See proof of insanity: http://crazylanea.com/
Read my audiobook reviews: http://booksforears.com/
Buy handmade sock knitting bags: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5031570
Join the KR Webring: http://www.crazylanea.com/fiberarts/2006/07/the_knitters_re.html
Go to Top of Page

71Bear
Chatty Knitter

USA
130 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2010 :  05:42:17 AM  Show Profile Send 71Bear a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WOOHOO hey Lanea!
happy to be here, thanks for directing me here

Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9714 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2010 :  09:51:10 AM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm? I think we know who suggested you knit, Becky! Welcome to Knitting Central, the beautiful KR! Knitting is very good stress relief, true!

Lella
Zippiknits
Go to Top of Page

molly-o
New Pal

Canada
12 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2010 :  03:20:04 AM  Show Profile Send molly-o a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hi becky! welcome! knitting is a terrific way to relieve stress but probably staying up too late at night isn't! something i do when i'm trying to fall asleep is 'virtual knitting'. i envision a project i would like to make, start to think about particulars - yarn, what type of needles and so on, and then just start knitting in my brain. the beauty of this is many-fold: i can use any type of yarn whatsoever, there's no cost!; mistakes are easy to fix; and somehow, the rhythm of 'in, over, out and off' lulls me to sleep. it's a form of auto-hypnosis, i guess, but it works for me. kind of like counting sheep but not quite so far back in the knitting process! good luck with your stress relief. it sounds like you're doing everything right! cheers! remember: keep calm and carry yarn!
Go to Top of Page

susan@beeberrywoods.com
New Pal

11 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2010 :  03:39:52 AM  Show Profile Send susan@beeberrywoods.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Knitting and stress - let me count the ways! 16 years ago, when I was still a relatively new mom (aged 40) my then 3yo son had clearly had it with me. "Why don't you just sit down and knit somethin'?" he said in the same tone I used when I suggested a relaxing bath to him. I also teach kids at my high school to knit - it relieves MY stress when they are more focused in class. So other people's knitting can be good for your stress, too! One of my fellow teachers said that me without my knitting is like watching a kids after the school issued laptops were reclaimed at the end of the year - and we sill had 3 days of school left.
Susan Dewey (in Maine on MDI)

Susan - on MDI
Go to Top of Page

scarfitup
Chatty Knitter

192 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2010 :  03:40:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit scarfitup's Homepage Send scarfitup a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome, Becky, to KR and to knitting! De-stressing through knitting (and crochet) is SOOOOO good for you. It's carried me through MANY stressful days of hospital-sitting during DH's various heart issues, and I know it will continue to do so. But sleep is important, so try to limit the knitting - even though it's addictive! I find that looking at knitting books and patterns only inspire me to get up and look through my stash to see what might work, but a cup of camomile tea and just sitting on the couch staring at the TV often puts me to sleep.

Relax and enjoy! I really like Molly-o's "Keep calm and carry yarn!"

Scarf It Up!
http://scarf-it-up.blogspot.com
http://flickr.com/photos/scarfitup
http://scarfitup.etsy.com
Become a Scarf It Up! Fan on FB: http://www.facebook.com/scarfitupwilmington
Go to Top of Page

needler
New Pal

27 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2010 :  05:30:12 AM  Show Profile Send needler a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Becky, Glad you've discovered our secret! One thing that helps me in my most stressful times is to get up a few minutes early and immediately pick up my needles and knit for a while. To get up "earlier" seemed insurmountable to me at first because of the exhaustion, but I started with just 10 minutes. No fiddling with coffee or anything, just knitting. Soon I was more eager to fall asleep because (I guess) the sooner I went to sleep the sooner I could be back up knitting again. It has made a huge improvement in the start of my day!!
needler
Go to Top of Page

jaxie985
New Pal

9 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2010 :  05:39:29 AM  Show Profile Send jaxie985 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I started knitting this Spring for stress management and quickly became addicted to how terrific it makes me feel. I so love to knit, I do what others here do - pick it up after walking the dog and before making breakfast, when I get home (before and after dog walking - I've even taken it with me on beach dog walks). I used to have a fairly early bedtime as I wake early... now I knit later in the evening and still rise early!!
Go to Top of Page

Sasse
New Pal

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2010 :  06:11:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sasse's Homepage Send Sasse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ahhhh - knitting!
Go to Top of Page

MindyO
Permanent Resident

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2010 :  08:07:23 AM  Show Profile Send MindyO a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yep! plain and simple.
OTOH it's also a cause of stress at times when I'm learning something new or screwing things up. Luckily that doesn't happen much anymore. A few years ago I'd say, I'm going to learn something new! Happily sit down with my needles, and DH would say uh oh mama's knitting new things, we better leave the room.

My Ravelry
My Flickr
My Facebook
Go to Top of Page

knitcro
New Pal

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2010 :  09:49:40 AM  Show Profile Send knitcro a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I find knitting such a comfort and stress-reliever and it's good to read everyone's thoughts and find so many of us share this feeling. I've particularly needed my knitting since the loss of my youngest daughter, in 2008. Often I have trouble sleeping, and I love Molly-O's ideas for self-hypnosis or soothing, planning a knitting project in my head with whatever yarn I choose. I'm going to try it. I'm also giving up my old habit of thinking of knitting as something like dessert, something to do when other "important" things are done. Not any more. Knitting first thing in the morning is one of the best ways I can think of to start my day. Stay calm and carry knitting. I probably don't have that quote down exactly but I love the spirit of it. Thanks all.
Go to Top of Page

NancywithNeedles
New Pal

Canada
4 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2010 :  7:31:21 PM  Show Profile Send NancywithNeedles a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I forget where the stats come from - but I've heard that the brain waves of knitters (especially when we're knitting something relatively simple - which depends on your knitting level may be garter stitch or lace!) are comparable to the brain waves of people who have been meditating for years (I'll try to track this down and post)

I know I use (and teach) knitting as a self-care strategy to promote and maintain wellness. I work with people suffering from various levels of mental health distress and many many people - in all stages of wellness - often enjoy this activity (especially with low key help and lots of company) Knitting groups are one of the best therapies going

I even often knit when I'm in staff meetings (as long as I'm not needing to take extensive notes and I'm not facilitating the group)
Not only do I find it helps me concentrate, but others have stated that it often helps them focus as well

Keep it up - but remember that too much of anything isn't always good for us!

Nancy

Toronto Knitting Lady

I may be slow, but I'm persistent
Go to Top of Page

71Bear
Chatty Knitter

USA
130 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2010 :  7:32:31 PM  Show Profile Send 71Bear a Private Message  Reply with Quote
am doing pretty good about not staying up too late
thanks for the harrahs and harrah to all of you

saw one of my doctors today and told him I was knitting and he said a great way to relieve stress, I do it (and he was my cardio dr)

Go to Top of Page

bjrosendale@earthlink.net

USA
Posted - 06/24/2010 :  8:36:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit bjrosendale@earthlink.net's Homepage Send bjrosendale@earthlink.net a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I learned to knit as a small child and grew up in the 60s when knitted sweater, crocheted vests, and embroidered denims were all part of the flower child rage.
Life intervened as did other art styles but for the last several years knitting has saved me from many tears. I work as an advocate for families in violence crisis. My work is partnered with our child protective services.
Without knitting, I sometimes think I would come home in a catatonic state from my daily work life. Knitting is truly my "zen" and my positive addiction. The repetition and the focus on creating each item one stitch at a time is so orderly and so opposite of my days of crisis intervention that without it, sleep would be impossible. Knitting and chocolate my self-medicating drugs of choice!

Zen-Knitter
Go to Top of Page

fiddlerbird555
Permanent Resident

USA
1429 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2010 :  11:16:26 PM  Show Profile Send fiddlerbird555 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So someone I read has the tag line on her blog "Yarn. It's cheaper than drugs (probably)"

The other thing about knitting to reduce stress: Eventually you have a lovely finished object and don't have to think about "wasted time" from fretting.

I can go loopy, or I can knit. Your choice.
Go to Top of Page

rfmezzy@aol.com
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2010 :  07:41:42 AM  Show Profile Send rfmezzy@aol.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For years I have knitted during meetings at work. It helps me to pay attention and to keep my mind from wandering, but the best part is that it also keeps me from reacting and responding too quickly. It has saved me from many arguments!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.94 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?