Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Stash management
 want to join me in this?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

dschmidt
Permanent Resident

4014 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2010 :  11:20:46 AM  Show Profile Send dschmidt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have many of those single & partial skeins in my stash. Y'all know the ones I mean - too big to toss but too small also. Instead of knitting a sweater for the Knitting Olympics, I decided I'd use those "only child/orphan" skeins to knit hats for charity. As of today, I've knit 32 hats. They can be seen here
http://tinyurl.com/27wc6w5

I still have more of those only child/orphan skeins and am curious how many hats I'll end up with. It's good to have that yarn out of the stash and fun to figure out how many different ways I can design the hats. And the local shelters and social services organizations will receive warm hats. Everyone wins IMHO

Want to join me?

Donna in VA

The Honor Roll? It's easier here than in school. Scroll up to "Want to Make Betty Happy?" and be an Honor Roll member.

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2607 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2010 :  1:19:18 PM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is a fabulous idea. I'm going to look around and see what I've got.

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Go to Top of Page

minh
Permanent Resident and Destasher Extraordinnaire

USA
3469 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2010 :  7:14:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit minh's Homepage Send minh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Single skeins in my stash?! What are you talking about Donna?

Seriously, it's a great idea! It will give me a jump start on the charity hats for the KR retreat. I might also combine yarns of similar weights for the Red Scarf project.
Go to Top of Page

Coolj
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2010 :  05:22:52 AM  Show Profile Send Coolj a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kudos to you, Donna! You've inspired me to look through my stash and earmark orphans and leftovers for charity.
Juanita
Go to Top of Page

dschmidt
Permanent Resident

4014 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2010 :  05:59:28 AM  Show Profile Send dschmidt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hope everyone posts pictures of what you knit, too. It blew me away when I realized how much yarn there is in those odd balls and it was just sitting in my stash because I couldn't get rid of perfectly good yarn, could I? I wonder how many hats & scarves (that's a good idea Minh) we collectively knit.

Donna in VA

The Honor Roll? It's easier here than in school. Scroll up to "Want to Make Betty Happy?" and be an Honor Roll member.
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2010 :  7:24:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I did the same thing last Fall with one and two skeins of stash yarn that were each enough for hats. I knit a dozen hats and sent them up to the KR Retreat (I didn't go) for Clara's charity project. Hats are fun to knit but I rarely wear them so it was a good opportunity for knitting, stashbusting, and do-gooding. Picture here

GFTC of NYC
my knitting photos on Flickr or Ravelry
Go to Top of Page

jtamsn
Permanent Resident

USA
1688 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2010 :  3:53:54 PM  Show Profile Send jtamsn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have done this to some extent for several years. I also make mittens with mine. Sometimes (I must confess) I go buy skeins of varigated yarn to mix with my solid colors. I'm not always sure how well it wittles down the orphan stash, but it satisfies my need to go the yarn shop, and for a good cause.

judy
Go to Top of Page

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2010 :  04:19:17 AM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't do it for charity - I did it for family! A couple years ago, I knit up all those orphan skeins into hats and other one-skein projects and put out a basket on Christmas day for people to help themselves. Made me feel good, and made a small dent in the stash.....which I promptly and effortlessly filled.

Jan
Go to Top of Page

cpknits
Chatty Knitter

USA
300 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2010 :  6:36:13 PM  Show Profile Send cpknits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the reminder. I had set aside a very large bag of odd skeins for chemo caps. I think these and socks will make up my summer knitting.

Carol, Wisconsin
Go to Top of Page

scarfitup
Chatty Knitter

193 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2010 :  04:07:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit scarfitup's Homepage Send scarfitup a Private Message  Reply with Quote
GFTC, these are wonderful hats! The colors and textures are so lovely, and what a fab idea, Donna! I wondered if you all would be willing to direct us to patterns for these cute hats?

Thanks,
Louise

Scarf It Up!
http://scarf-it-up.blogspot.com
http://flickr.com/photos/scarfitup
http://scarfitup.etsy.com
Become a Scarf It Up! Fan on FB: http://www.facebook.com/scarfitupwilmington
Go to Top of Page

granny purple
New Pal

22 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2010 :  05:18:11 AM  Show Profile Send granny purple a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Last fall I started my "3 sock yarn" hats. Those small amounts left at the end of a pair of socks work well if you use 3 at a time on a 5mm circular needle. When one yarn runs out, add in another. When you have at least one patterned sock yarn in the mix, it makes an interesting tweedy effect. And being sock yarn, they're mostly wool, and very washable. And as an easy way to design on the fly, they're a lot of fun. I think I ended up with a couple of dozen for a couple of local charities, and now when I finish a pair of socks, if there's more than a yard or two of yarn left, it goes into a bag of similar colours for the next foray, probably during the summer. 88 sts seems to be just right!
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2010 :  06:01:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Louise!

In answer to your request for patterns, if you click on my Ravelry link at the bottom of this post it will take you to my project page. On the top of the page is a tab for hat/scarf which will pull up the hats. On the individual project page for each hat you'll find the link to the pattern, the amount of yarn I used, needle size, #of stitches cast on, etc. Where I made several hats in the same pattern they are all on one page. Several of the patterns are free online.

Hope that helps.

GFTC of NYC
my knitting photos on Flickr or Ravelry
Go to Top of Page

Mirl56
Chatty Knitter

USA
123 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2010 :  06:06:18 AM  Show Profile Send Mirl56 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
GrannyPurple - I love that idea!

I, too, am using odd ball stash (a lot of it I inherited from my Mom who recently moved to an Assisted Living facililty and no longer knits/crochets) to make baby hats for charity. They'll be donated on behalf of my SIL who likes her Christmas gift to be charity related.
Go to Top of Page

savvy_C
New Pal

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2010 :  07:16:25 AM  Show Profile Send savvy_C a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Count me IN! I've got 'sit' time on airplanes, and more than enough oddballs in my stash! Local groups always grateful when finished ART-wear arrives!
Go to Top of Page

kcknitnut
New Pal

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2010 :  07:27:27 AM  Show Profile Send kcknitnut a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Most of our charities here have definite types and color of yarns for donated items. Our Guild "KNOTTY GIRLS" does a lot for Corpus Christi. What I did this winter was gather patterns for afghans. The first was a diamond 'square' which is facinating when done. The second was done in strips of 7 blocks of different patterns ineach square. The third one was done in hexigons. No color was repeated,no pattern repeated. All are college graduations gifts for DGD.
Go to Top of Page

scarfitup
Chatty Knitter

193 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2010 :  4:00:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit scarfitup's Homepage Send scarfitup a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you, GFTC! That helps a LOT! In between other things, I may give it a try. Believe it or not, I have NEVER made a hat! I've done felted bowls, so I know the process is the same. I look forward to my first foray into hats!

Scarf It Up!
http://scarf-it-up.blogspot.com
http://flickr.com/photos/scarfitup
http://scarfitup.etsy.com
Become a Scarf It Up! Fan on FB: http://www.facebook.com/scarfitupwilmington
Go to Top of Page

crafty1mjw@comcast.net
Seriously Hooked

USA
912 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2010 :  07:04:23 AM  Show Profile Send crafty1mjw@comcast.net a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've knit hats for charity in the past, but haven't done so in awhile. They were chemo caps, as a tribute to my mother, who passed away from small cell lung cancer several years ago.
Donna, you've re-inspired me! Count me in as well!

craftymjw

Keep on knittin'!
A balanced diet is a peanutbutter cookie in each hand!
Go to Top of Page

dschmidt
Permanent Resident

4014 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2010 :  4:08:23 PM  Show Profile Send dschmidt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd love it if everyone keeps a count of how many hats you knit using up the orphans and post them here. I'm now up to 38 hats. Also, thanks GrannyPurple - that will help with the sock leftovers considerably.

Donna in VA

Go to Top of Page

Martheme
Sustaining Member

USA
1565 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2010 :  06:47:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Martheme's Homepage  Send Martheme a Yahoo! Message Send Martheme a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I too have a stash of leftovers, mostly partial skeins . . . I've been using them to make hats & mittens for my kids, my nieces and nephews and several other kids we know that just "need" a winter hat each year . . . I find the kids really like the creative mix of colors that go into the hat & mittens sets and the Moms appreciate having a ready supply of hats & mittens so they can play outside as much as possible. Esp. since I follow EZ's suggestion and knit the mittens in 3s . . .

good luck with the oddball projects.

Margaret

Blog: http://www.afewsheepshyofafarm.com/
Go to Top of Page

minh
Permanent Resident and Destasher Extraordinnaire

USA
3469 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2010 :  08:43:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit minh's Homepage Send minh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the latest issue of IK, there's an article by Clara about knitting toys. That too would be a good way to use leftover yarns and toys could be donated to charities along with the hats.
Go to Top of Page

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2607 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2010 :  1:29:50 PM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Donna and other NoVa's - There are of course many charities, local and global, that can use hats, but if you want a local recipient, Uniquities in Vienna VA has on their website a notice that they are collecting hats, mittens and scarves for an elementary school in Alexandria. They would like to get 100 items by Labor Day. So if any of the "locals" who are joining Donna in hat-making want to drop off some of their hats at Uniquities, Brenda will find them a very appreciative home.

Here's a link to the notice:
http://uniquitiesyarnshop.com/?page_id=11

GFTC: Thanks for the links to some great hat patterns. And your project page always inspires me!

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.5 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?