Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Tool Talk
 Needles
 KR Review of Addi Lace Click Interchangeables
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Clara
queen bee

USA
4400 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2010 :  7:12:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They're almost here! I just got my hands on a prototype set of the new Addi Lace Click interchangeables. They are so lovely, and the case is so much more ingenious than the big one they used for the early Clicks. And the only real drawback I identified - a slight "hop" in the join - is something they already acknowledged was getting fixed before anything goes out the door.

But still, they're a hefty investment - which is why I tried to give them an honest look in this week's review.

Has anybody else tried the prototypes yet? Any other Addi Lace fans chomping at the bit for the interchangeables? Any bah-humbuggers?

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher

bridget99air@hotmail.com

Posted - 04/15/2010 :  01:16:27 AM  Show Profile Send bridget99air@hotmail.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Clara,

First, I've been a reader of Knitter's Review since the beginning, but never have posted. Keep up the good work.

Second, although you say the price is high for the Addi-Lace Clicks, I'm shocked at the prices for sock yarn, especially the hand-dyed skeins. I look at it this way, buying the best tools possible is a long-term investment that ends up costing less in the long run. For interchangeable needles, I have a set of the Hiya-Hiya, the Addi-Clicks, the Denise, the Knit Picks (both wood and metal). My favorite to knit lace right now is the Knit Picks wood. However, if you don't put some 'uncle' on those joins, you end up with the proverbial four letter scream as the join falls apart and you are left with a mess of loops.

For sheer engineering brilliance (I'm an engineer), I love the Addi-clicks and will be purchasing a set of the lace-clicks when they come out (although I currently live in Germany and may purchase them here instead of the States). My least favorite are the Hiya-Hiya because they are even worse than the Knit-Picks for falling apart at the join and finding a way to tighten it is difficult (the Knit Picks have the mini-torque wrench mechanism). However, for packaging, the Hiya-Hiya is the best - it is small, very portable and beautiful (the Asian silk 'envelope').

I used the Denise needles a lot, however, with the nature of plastic wearing down, some of the joins of those needles have gotten too loose (and there was an earlier batch that had a defect I think with the size 11 tips - of course, I have that set :-)). Lastly, I am eagerly awaiting the Signature circulars. Those needles are heaven to hold and have beautiful tips as well - I usually knit my lace on higher size needles because I knit fairly tightly, so the lack of smaller size needles doesn't affect me (I do use size 1's for my socks and use metal dpns - to me, a tight knit for socks is required to longer wearing).

So, with regard to price, it's all relative - some people like spending money on yarns and some on tools. For me, I balk at $25 a skein for washable merino wool that will be a pair of socks - if you purchase 6 skeins, you are close to the same amount for the needles.

Also, if you look at any tools for any craft, the good ones that are of excellent quality are expensive, but because they last longer, it is cheaper over the lifetimes of the tools - spinning wheels, wood-working tools (The New Yankee Workshop used to make me drool - I counted one time he used over 20 different tools on one object - most of them electric and large - I can't imagine how much his workshop cost), tools for auto mechanics, plan mechanics, etc. Heck, what about your computer - that's a tool.

Go to Top of Page

mkseftel@yahoo.com
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2010 :  02:30:49 AM  Show Profile Send mkseftel@yahoo.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Clara, Very interesting to read about the new addi lace clicks because I am an addict of interchangeables! However,I measured my Addi Turbo Lace (5mm) circular from tip to cable and it measures 3 1/2" (so does my Hiya Hiya (4mm)) and the KnitPicks wooden interchangeable (4.5mm) measures 4 1/2 from tip to end of needle (where cable joins) so I don't understand the measurements you got??? Thanks for your great on line mag and for all your hard work!!!
Go to Top of Page

Lanea
Permanent Resident

USA
5189 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2010 :  04:51:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lanea's Homepage Send Lanea a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am so freaking excited about these! I am a bit sad to see that they've shortened the needle tips for the interchangeables, though. I really like long needle tips. Still, I can't wait to try these in person and I'm excited to see what changes from Beta to Alpha. I have a sneaking suspicion I'll be asking for either or both sets of Addi interchangeables for my birthday this year--the question is whether I'll be asking myself to buy them or someone in my family.

See proof of insanity: http://crazylanea.com/
Read my audiobook reviews: http://booksforears.com/
Buy handmade sock knitting bags: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5031570
Join the KR Webring: http://www.crazylanea.com/fiberarts/2006/07/the_knitters_re.html
Go to Top of Page

bdegar@earthlink.net
New Pal

3 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2010 :  05:10:45 AM  Show Profile Send bdegar@earthlink.net a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks to Clara for reminding us that inexpensive products come at a price including poor working conditions and salaries, and for reminding us that our LYS's have overhead. I really appreciate your social conscience.
Go to Top of Page

Lanea
Permanent Resident

USA
5189 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2010 :  05:47:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lanea's Homepage Send Lanea a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bdegar@earthlink.net

Thanks to Clara for reminding us that inexpensive products come at a price including poor working conditions and salaries, and for reminding us that our LYS's have overhead. I really appreciate your social conscience.

Hear hear! It's so easy to only think of our own bank accounts, but we really do have the opportunity to support good working conditions, real living wages, respect for intellectual property, and a caring community for the people who make our knitting and spinning habits possible.

Join the KR Webring: http://www.crazylanea.com/fiberarts/2006/07/the_knitters_re.html
Go to Top of Page

knittinggal
Chatty Knitter

USA
296 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2010 :  05:58:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit knittinggal's Homepage Send knittinggal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I bought 3 sets of the lace addi's when they first came out. I thought I'd found heaven. They had the perfect tip and the cord was flexible without being limp. Unfortunately, the needles themselves started 'turning' because of some chemical makeup in my skin. I had a few other friends who had the same problem. Pick up those needles after awhile and the tarnish comes off on your yarn while knitting. Has anything been done by Skacel to fix this issue in the click set?
Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4400 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2010 :  06:18:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Knittinggal, YES! My Lace ones did that too, and I know it even happened to Karin Skacel. Which is why the new Lace Clicks have a new finish that doesn't react this way. I gave my needles a good workout and didn't experience a thing.

Also, as for the short needle length? All is not lost - we may have alternatives. That's all I know right now.

And for mkseftel, as for your needle measurements, that's very interesting. I didn't know the Addi Lace needles came in different lengths. What I measured was the actual length of an actual pair of needles from my stash - the others I checked are all of a similar length. Does anybody else have shorter Addi Lace needles?

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page

BlueStocking
Sustaining Member

USA
945 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2010 :  06:26:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit BlueStocking's Homepage Send BlueStocking a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WANT.

That's all I'm sayin.

(ok, not quite all. I WILL have them. SOON.)

That is all.

Jennifer

"What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail?"

Yarns and Rare Spinning Fibers from Spirit Trail Fiberworks: http://www.spirit-trail.net
Blog: http://TheSpiritTrail.blogspot.com
"SpiritTrail" on Flickr and Ravelry

Go to Top of Page

Lanea
Permanent Resident

USA
5189 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2010 :  06:34:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lanea's Homepage Send Lanea a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe the 16" fixed sets have shorter tips than the longer fixed sets? That was my first guess.

Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2010 :  06:40:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I measured 3.5" on the tips but that was on a regular Addi Turbo in the 16" length. My 24" Addi Lace measures 5 1/8".

GFTC of NYC
my knitting photos on Flickr or Ravelry
Go to Top of Page

ikkivan
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
524 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2010 :  06:57:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit ikkivan's Homepage Send ikkivan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by knittinggal

Unfortunately, the needles themselves started 'turning' because of some chemical makeup in my skin. I had a few other friends who had the same problem. Pick up those needles after awhile and the tarnish comes off on your yarn while knitting. Has anything been done by Skacel to fix this issue in the click set?

I have only a few pair of the Addi lace fixed circulars, and also noticed the "tarnishing," although I have not noticed it coming off on my yarn (yet). I do admit that I haven't used these much, mostly because I object to the very metallic smell. I think I have enough of the interchangeable sets in several brands; I really prefer the fixed circulars and will buy only those in the future.

However, I've learned never to say never! The interchangeables are great to take on a trip for unexpected opportunities.

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time.
Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2010 :  06:59:38 AM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Me want. I have the Denise, Knit Picks and the Addi. I want these

Wanda
My Blog
Ravelry - gwtreece
Go to Top of Page

jumbuck
New Pal

9 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2010 :  07:08:45 AM  Show Profile Send jumbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Still with the stinky nasty brass though ---- ugh! I do have some Addi lace circs but I do hate that nasty brass smell --- I wish they would change it.
That aside -- I love my regular addi clicks --- I've been using knit picks and just hate the way they come undone all the time --- that constant checking of the join makes for a feeling of tension and paranoia while knitting. I recently took up an old project with some addi clicks and the relief of not having to keep checking the join was palpable. I think the addi click technology is superb and it might even entice me to buy the lace clicks even with the stinky brass.
The only other thing I think they should think about is incorporating a hole in the shaft to allow a life line to be placed while knitting.
cheers
Cathy

For as little as $25 you can help an entrepreneur in a developing country with an interest free loan. Learn how at www.kiva.org
Go to Top of Page

Marin
New Pal

21 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2010 :  07:25:33 AM  Show Profile Send Marin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm off the wagon on this one.

I pre-bought the Addi Clicks when they first came out. As a longtime fan of Addis, I figured it couldn't get any better than that.

Unfortunately, something in the way I knit unhooks the tips from the cables with alarming frequency (and always in the worst possible spot in my knitting, natch). So I'm specifically out of the Addi interchangeable market.

In general, I'm not happy with Skacel right now for what they did with the Addis. I don't like the new cables on the non-interchangeable needles (the blue ones that are way too stiff for my taste and never relax). I mentioned it at my LYS and she said she sent a whole shipment back because of the cables, but the replacements were the same stiff, unforgiving blue plastic.

I've moved on to different needles for this reason. I tried - I really did. I've loved the Addis for years and years and it was like betraying a friend to stop buying them, but they just drive me crazy with the new materials.
Go to Top of Page

jcappenberg
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2010 :  07:30:58 AM  Show Profile Send jcappenberg a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have had a problem with the joints of KnitPicks' circulars coming undone from the very beginning. Since I do love working with them though I have made it a habit to put a precautionary drop (eenzy-weenzy)of crazy glue on the spot right where the cable disappears into the metal joint. Alas, free sailing from that moment on.
Go to Top of Page

Sasse
New Pal

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2010 :  07:41:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sasse's Homepage Send Sasse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oooops!!! Too expensive for me.....Maybe the price will come down later - they look gorgeous,
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2010 :  07:56:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To all those knitters who want this set but consider it pricey......if you are an Elann customer you can use your $50 credit towards this set once Elann starts offering it. With their new lower$ shipping policy & no tax this would be a good way to buy the set at a 30% discount. In addition you are covered by their 30 day return policy if you find the needles not to your liking or if there are any unresolved issues with the quality or specs.

GFTC of NYC
my knitting photos on Flickr or Ravelry
Go to Top of Page

alc13
New Pal

3 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2010 :  08:06:04 AM  Show Profile Send alc13 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great review.

It triggered a question in my mind. Since you can extend cables with a cable connector, why couldn't manufacturers make needles with permanently attached cables that end a few inches from the needle? You would then connect a pair of them using the cable connector to make a circular needle. It would get past the problem of any bump at the join (which I find bothersome), and probably be more secure.
Go to Top of Page

Irish Red
Warming Up

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2010 :  08:25:44 AM  Show Profile Send Irish Red a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Knittinggal, I had the same problem. The residue from the tarnish was significant. I also couldn't abide the VERY strong brass smell emanating from them. It was really bad...made my yarn, tote bag, everything smell just awful.. I contacted a Skacel rep in Germany, who told me the smell would diminish and basically 'get over it'. It didn't, I didn't. I have been using Addis forever, but I hate the brass ones and will never buy another pair. Maybe it's just my body chemistry, but we are not friends. It makes it a little harder without those great finer tip points, but I have adjusted. Hopefully, Knittinggal and I are of the very few with this wacko reaction.

The Industrious Bee
Go to Top of Page

Kelly B
Permanent Resident

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2010 :  08:44:44 AM  Show Profile Send Kelly B a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Definitely try before you buy. I really expected to like their Lace line for the slight grippiness and pointier tip, but for me, the finish is even worse than aluminum for my issues with metal on metal. I get the same goosebumps you might get from fork tines on a plate. Fingernails on a blackboard. Shudder. I'm weird, I know, but I bet I'm not the only one in the universe with that reaction.
The set looks gorgeous, though, and I agree with the principles that lie behind the cost.

My pictures
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.92 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.