Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Knitter's Review Retreat details and Sheepshow
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Favorite Yarns
 Skeins with Long Yardage: Your Favorite Brands?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2010 :  11:32:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since the poll topic this week is about yarns with short vs. long yardage I thought it would be informative if we listed the yarns with long yardage that we've used and liked.

Here are mine:
Cascade 220 Superwash - 220yds
Cascade EcoWool - 478yds
Woolpak formerly Baabajoe's - 400+yds
Berroco Ultra Alpaca - 200+ yds
Frog Tree Alpaca Fingering - 215yds
Paton's Classic Wool - 200+yds
Trekking XXL - 400+yds
Noro Kureyon Sock Yarn 400+yds(I've been lucky not to find knots)
Opal Sock yarn - 400+yds
various "indie" sock yarns that are 400+yds

I used Beaverslide worsted which has over 200yds per skein. I liked the yarn a lot but the knots in each skein negated the long yardage.

Malabrigo Worsted has 200+yds but it's banned from my yarn choices.

GFTC of NYC
my knitting photos on Flickr or Ravelry

jtamsn
Permanent Resident

USA
1681 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2010 :  12:25:38 PM  Show Profile Send jtamsn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
a couple of my favorites are : Encore Worsted (200ish yds), the already mentiones Opal Sock yarn, OnLIne sock yarn, Sirdar Snuggly baby and dk.
judy
Go to Top of Page

2totangle
Permanent Resident

1212 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2010 :  1:10:29 PM  Show Profile Send 2totangle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Many of your faves are on my list as well.

I've recently begun a love affair with yarn on cones, especially lace weights. I bought 5 oz of Jaggerspun Zephyr at Webs last year, and I expect to get three scarves/small shawls out of it. I've been hunting Colourmart for the right colors of some heavier-weight yarns as well.

I'm also attracted to some of the longer yardages of undyed skeins, but haven't yet worked up the gumption to try home dying.

Suzanne

Flickr pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/2totangle/
Ravelry project page: http://www.ravelry.com/projects/2totangle
Go to Top of Page

cpknits
Chatty Knitter

USA
300 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2010 :  1:42:21 PM  Show Profile Send cpknits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great question, I'll have to take notes. I like all the ones listed. In addition, Austermann's Step and Jameson's wool and wool on silk on cones. I really try not to buy sock/fingering wt that does not have at least 400 yds. I have a LOT of the Step which I am mixing and matching for a sweater (this yarn is so soft, I would use 1's for socks). I have two cones of the Jameson's and am looking forward to using it, no joining, weaving ends...fingers crossed. I wish Rowan and Katia had larger skeins. Love the yarn but when you only have 10 skeins (all the LYS had and can't find more) I may be forced to join mid-row in order to get 3/4 sleeves for a project.

Carol, Wisconsin
Go to Top of Page

NutmegOwl
Gabber Extraordinaire

576 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2010 :  8:54:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit NutmegOwl's Homepage Send NutmegOwl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My vote goes to AslanTrends Invernal - a worsted-wt merino/angora blend with a hint of nylon for durability - 295 yards per skein. I recently finished 2 pair of adult mittens from the same sk with long cuffs and still plenty to spare.

Other faves: (going for something other than sock skeins per se)
Mountain Colors Bearfoot - 350 yards and not "socky" for shawls
Ultra Alpaca was also really nice.

-----
Nutmeg Owl
Quaecumque sunt vera
http://www.owlwaysknitting.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

sandyt
Permanent Resident

USA
3101 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2010 :  07:18:15 AM  Show Profile Send sandyt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Schaefer Anne
Go to Top of Page

Solaris
Permanent Resident

Canada
4159 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2010 :  09:20:22 AM  Show Profile Send Solaris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In order from most to least yardage:

Yarn Treehouse Bloom (Laceweight) - 880 yds
Kauni Wool 8/2 Effektgarn - 438 yds
Blue Moon Socks That Rock Medium Weight - 380 yds
Elann Silken Kydd - 232 yds
Knit Picks' Essential Kettle dyed - 231 yds
Rowan Kidsilk Haze - 229 yds
Easy Knit Wool - 220 yds
Yarn Treehouse Melody - 220 yds
Sirdar Blur - 208 yds
Go to Top of Page

elizh
Permanent Resident

USA
1248 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2010 :  10:46:26 PM  Show Profile Send elizh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not even listing the little 200 yard ones!

Lion Brand Fisherman's Wool worsted (465 yards)
Schaefer Anne fingering (560 yards)
Valley Yarns Colrain worsted 250g hank--545 yards
Jamieson & Smith Soft spun worsted 500g Cones -980 yards
String Theory Caper Sock 400 yds
Louet Gems Sport 512 yards
Go to Top of Page

marjotse
Permanent Resident

Sweden
1018 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2010 :  03:06:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit marjotse's Homepage Send marjotse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just some more additions:
Dream In Colour Classy (250 yards)
Dream in Colour Smooshy (450 yards) and it is so nice for other things than socks, little sweaters etc.
Lorna's Laces Shepherd worsted (225 yards)

When in Australia just a couple of weeks ago I bought some Bendigo yarn. I bought Rustic 8-ply (DK-weight, 436 yards) and Luxury 4-ply (787 yards). I have not knit with these yet but they come in nice yardages anyways and they look and feel very nice.

Marjolein

my photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/98299499@N00/
www.ravelry.com/projects/marjotse
Go to Top of Page

Wen
Permanent Resident

Australia
3244 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2010 :  10:21:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Wen's Homepage Send Wen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My favourite for yardage is Bendigo. It is all in 200g balls so 4plys are ~800m and 8plys are around 400m. Classic is my go to basic wool for kids/men's clothing as it lasts and doesn't pill.

Marjolein I used Rustic for my son's elephant hat and it is lovely knitted up, I haven't tried Luxury yet.

Wen

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wen1965/sets/72157612251840708/show/ FO 2009
http://www.flickr.com/groups/kr_members/
http://wenswoolgathering.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

purlgin
Chatty Knitter

109 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2010 :  04:30:57 AM  Show Profile Send purlgin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
GFTC, why is Malabrigo banned?
Go to Top of Page

eldergirl
Permanent Resident

USA
1799 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2010 :  4:49:00 PM  Show Profile Send eldergirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I second purlgin's question, GFTC.... I didn't jump on the Malibrigo bandwagon (actually , I missed it), but what is not to like?

Anna
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2010 :  6:06:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shrinks, pills, and felts. Does not like water. Bad experience.

GFTC of NYC
my knitting photos on Flickr or Ravelry
Go to Top of Page

Consuelo
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
582 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2010 :  7:45:04 PM  Show Profile Send Consuelo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lamb's Pride

Consuelo
"Travel is fatal to prejudice" Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

jaymeKnits
Permanent Resident

USA
1346 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2010 :  10:46:10 AM  Show Profile  Send jaymeKnits a Yahoo! Message Send jaymeKnits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like Eco wool for large worsted projects. Colormart cones are great too. I love not having a ton of ends to weave in. Lacy Lamb has great yardage for a lace yarn, 1 ball can make a really good sized shawl.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Signature? Who needs a signature?
Go to Top of Page

PBELKNAP
Permanent Resident

USA
1135 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2010 :  11:50:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit PBELKNAP's Homepage Send PBELKNAP a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GFTC

Shrinks, pills, and felts. Does not like water. Bad experience.

I feel so much better now, not being one of the sheep (no offense to the lovable sheep who provide us all with much wool!).

WIP = Socks (k), Ladybug Afghan (c), Owls Sweater (k)

Done this year: Sheep-Go-Round Sweater (k), V-neck pullover for Afghans for Afghans (k)

Twitter Name = WildKnitter

If I could only do this for a living...
Go to Top of Page

dschmidt
Permanent Resident

3943 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2010 :  12:02:57 PM  Show Profile Send dschmidt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is a great list of yarns. Thanks, everyone.

Donna in VA

The Honor Roll? It's easier here than in school. Scroll up to "Want to Make Betty Happy?" and be an Honor Roll member.
Go to Top of Page

jreiz
New Pal

Canada
15 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2010 :  10:54:00 PM  Show Profile Send jreiz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have several skeins of BFL from Fleece Artist - I just discovered that the skeins are 1000 yds - good grief, I might have enought to do several (!!!) sweaters, instead of the one that I thought I was collecting all these skeins for!!! BFL is so ooooooo nice to touch - I might just leave them in the petting area! No, sometime I will actually knit them up, really, I will!
Go to Top of Page

Sasse
New Pal

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2010 :  07:22:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sasse's Homepage Send Sasse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fisherman's Wool by Lion Brand is over 400 yds a skein. I did a nice throw and only used 4 and a small bit of the fifth skein. The throw is 64" x 48". My sister loved it. I used Cascading Leaves - a free pattern from Lion Brand - it is composed of 48 7" squares - you start in the corner and increase up - decrease down. I used index cards to set up the pattern - I followed two rows then flipped the cards. It was easy that way. The Fisherman's Wool blocked very nicely. When I knitted the squares they were 5"x5" and blocked to 7"x7" easily. The pattern called for Jiffy - a fluffier yarn - but Fisherman's Wool made a nice, light, comfortable throw. I definitely recommend Fisherman's Wool not only for the length of it's skein put it's flexibility and elasticity.
Go to Top of Page

mathiemom
Chatty Knitter

USA
242 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2010 :  08:18:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit mathiemom's Homepage Send mathiemom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fleece Artist yarns in general have generous yardage, and their BFL 2/8 is not only, hands down, one of my very favorite yarns, but it contains a whopping 1090 yds per skein. Delicious!

Wendy
Go to Top of Page

Louiselydia
New Pal

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2010 :  08:24:39 AM  Show Profile Send Louiselydia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cascade EcoWool (478) is too, too fabulous in a worsted weight yarn. I have used it several times, its become my 'default' never fail, worsted yarn choice. LB Fisherman's Wool is great also. I am reading of some other yarns that I have not tried, but would like to now.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.89 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?