Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Stuck on a Pattern
 Picking up stitches for sweater band
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HilaryL
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
360 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2010 :  10:30:06 PM  Show Profile Send HilaryL a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am knitting a Jo Sharp "Bridget" cable cardigan that ties shut and has two wide bands - no buttons or buttonholes. The directions (for all sizes) say

"Bands: With RS facing ... pick up and knit 94 sts along right front from base to neck shaping ... Work left side as for right side."

I have tried this three times now, and I can't pick up more than about 75 stitches even when I pick up every single stitch along the way - and even jam in a few extra at the corners. Is that going to be enough? Or do I need to increase up to 94 -- or do something different?

(The pattern called for me to knit 47 cm from the base of the ribbing to the neck shaping - and that's the largest size.)

Thanks in advance for any help!!!

Picture of the sweater here:
http://www.calyarn.com/close-ups/js_book2_bridget.htm

http://hilaryknitstoo.blogspot.com/

socks4all
Permanent Resident

USA
1461 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2010 :  05:31:59 AM  Show Profile Send socks4all a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The general rule of thumb is to pick up 3 sts for every 4 rows. Count your rows and multiply by 0.75. If that comes close to 94 then you should try to get that number. From what you've said, (picking up a sts every row plus extra = 74)there may be a typo. I would try with the 3 st to 4 row pick up and see how it looks/feels. If it flares out redo with fewer sts. If it puckers in alot, redo with more. You do want a the band to be slightly shorter than the edge. This will block out. A band equal to or slightly longer than the edge will flare over time.

Good luck.
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2010 :  06:57:42 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The ribbing pattern of the band will cover a miltiple of mistakes and problems. Pick up the stitches as you wish checking only that the number of stitches fits the ribbing pattern and then rib it. If it tends to flare out, pulling on the ribbing horizontally will correct it. If it is too short, the ribbed pattern will stretch to fit. Relax and go for it.

fran

http://martianmischief.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2010 :  07:30:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You might not get 94 stitches for any of the following reasons:

you achieved stitch gauge but not row gauge (easy to happen if you did not use the yarn suggested in the pattern)

you made the sweater shorter or longer than the pattern

you began the neck higher or lower than the pattern

I generally ignore the suggested # of stitches and always use Nancie Wiseman's The Knitter's Book of Finishing Techniques.

GFTC of NYC
my knitting photos on Flickr or Ravelry
Go to Top of Page

HilaryL
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
360 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2010 :  08:45:30 AM  Show Profile Send HilaryL a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you thank you for this good advice. I could not figure out how to pick up MORE than one stitch per row.

socks4all - I did not realize the band should be slightly shorter than the edge - that's very good to know.

fmarrs - thanks (as always!) for the reassurance.

And GFTC, great points. I did use the suggested yarn and thought I was following the pattern exactly ... but never checked my row gauge. It was only because my number seemed so far off that I worried ...

Thank you all - I will carry on! :)

http://hilaryknitstoo.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2010 :  12:49:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I made several pu&k swatches recently. You don't say how the bands will be knitted. If ribbing the bands K1P1, pu&k 4 out of 5 would be a better strategy, according to my swatches. This could change again with K2P2 (which I haven't done). If you have some extra yarn in your project, I'd swatch first and find out.

(Sigh....wouldn't it be more helpful if the directions gave us a pu&k ratio instead of a hard number?)

Ceil

Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2010 :  2:23:35 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message  Reply with Quote
no, a pu and k ratio may work for one knitter and not another, for instance you like 4 out of 5, socks4all likes 3 out of 4. The best way is to get confidence in your own knitting and find what ratio works for you. I just look at my picked up stitches and line them up neatly on the needle. It works for me. That is the whole problem with writing patterns, the same directions don't work for everyone.

fran

http://martianmischief.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

stitchmd
Seriously Hooked

716 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2010 :  07:01:28 AM  Show Profile Send stitchmd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you know how to use a crochet hook you can work slip stitches along the edge. They'll be easier to pick up from and will form a stronger base for the ribbing and reduce the appearance of the holes that can form as your knit row edge has stitches worked through it.

You can't have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
Go to Top of Page

needler
New Pal

27 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2010 :  05:46:35 AM  Show Profile Send needler a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So many good tips here already, I don't have any to add for this situation, but here is something to try for next time (when one can plan ahead for it):
http://www.scribd.com/doc/13684414/Picking-Up-Stitches-on-the-FlyTutorial
This is a very well documented tutorial on working neckline/armscye stitches. It requires planning ahead and may take a little longer, but it eliminates so much of the guesswork and results in very professional finishing.
needler
Go to Top of Page

terpsfan
Warming Up

65 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2010 :  09:05:33 AM  Show Profile Send terpsfan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by needler

So many good tips here already, I don't have any to add for this situation, but here is something to try for next time (when one can plan ahead for it):
http://www.scribd.com/doc/13684414/Picking-Up-Stitches-on-the-FlyTutorial
This is a very well documented tutorial on working neckline/armscye stitches. It requires planning ahead and may take a little longer, but it eliminates so much of the guesswork and results in very professional finishing.
needler

Working a row of slip stitch crochet (and then picking up sts behind it) around the neckline is a great way to conceal those little gaps created by neck shaping, especially with cotton yarns.
Go to Top of Page

EdieC
New Pal

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2010 :  5:01:33 PM  Show Profile Send EdieC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another suggestion you might try which I did.....knit the band separately, then sew it on to fit. That way you can fit around the neck. Just a thought.
Go to Top of Page

kbnature
New Pal

New Zealand
20 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2010 :  9:35:55 PM  Show Profile Send kbnature a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another trick I've used is to divide the total piece in half, put a marker, then in quarters, put two more markers. Then divide the total number of stitches you need to pick up by four and work by section. I tried this when doing a ruffled edge around a baby blanket, and it works really well. Hope this makes sense and works for you.

kbnature
Go to Top of Page

kbnature
New Pal

New Zealand
20 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2010 :  9:39:10 PM  Show Profile Send kbnature a Private Message  Reply with Quote
p.s. I have had lots of issues getting gauge with Jo Sharp patterns, I just can't do it, consistently, usually have to regroup and redo all the math until I can come up with what works for me. Are you knitting to the row and stitch gauge specified? Just another random thought....

kbnature
Go to Top of Page

potknitz@juno.com
New Pal

4 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2010 :  04:39:07 AM  Show Profile Send potknitz@juno.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi,
You musst ick up stitches BY EYE with a crochet hook-- NOT sliding them on your needle. If youy picck up to many it will ripple, if you pick up too few, there will be holes, but of the two, too many is preferable. Then decrease in your first row. Any good instruction book will help you with this. Good luck!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.89 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe