Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Talk about yarns reviewed in Knitter's Review
 Malabrigo Twist
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Clara
queen bee

USA
4406 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2010 :  8:40:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, they've done it. At the January TNNA, Malabrigo unveiled its newest yarn called Twist. Picture a longer-wearing, lower-pill, full-bodied worsted-weight made from the same buttery soft and intensely dyed Merino as in the classic Malabrigo Worsted. It's such a thick, plump yarn that I was worried the stitches wouldn't hold together - that they'd behave rather like giant tubes of spaghetti, only with ply shadows.

But it's lovely, lovely stuff. I invite you to check out the full review.

And has anybody tried Twist yet?

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4399 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2010 :  07:15:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't tried it yet, but I think I need to make a nice, warm hat (not a tam, though!) with it. I love your description of the yarn's construction and the knitted fabric.

Jane

Betty needs a warm hat: Support KR
Blog: Not Plain Jane
Photos: My Flickr Album
Go to Top of Page

Coolj
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2010 :  10:41:01 AM  Show Profile Send Coolj a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A friend bought a skein of Twist in Indiecita colorway to use in a hooked rug. (A hooked rug? There has to be a sin in there somewhere!) I tried to buy it from the same shop, but they were sold out. I found it online this morning and ordered two skeins in Indiecita and two in Plena. I have no clue what I'll use the Twist in, but I can finally stop obsessing over them.

I should also say the online pictures don't do justice to Indiecita in person. I haven't seen Plena, but I was intrigued by it.
Go to Top of Page

Pema
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2010 :  11:00:42 AM  Show Profile Send Pema a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have just begun reading the reviews, and WOW!! I learned so much about yarn with this one!! Hey, why isn't the article signed? Who wrote it? I'd love to see their names and any other articles or books they wrote as part of these reviews.

Wonderfully informative! thanks!
Go to Top of Page

jmaggiore2004@yahoo.com
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2010 :  11:30:29 AM  Show Profile Send jmaggiore2004@yahoo.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Clara,
I'm wondering if Malabrigo Twist would be a good choice for the Allegan Cardigan in your latest book. Any other yarn ideas for this project?
Thanks,
Judy
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4399 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2010 :  12:50:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pema

I have just begun reading the reviews, and WOW!! I learned so much about yarn with this one!! Hey, why isn't the article signed? Who wrote it? I'd love to see their names and any other articles or books they wrote as part of these reviews.

Wonderfully informative! thanks!

Clara Parkes, our own Head Yarn Whisperer, writes almost every Knitter's Review article (it's her website). She's written many, many articles for magazines and online publications, as well as two of the best books about yarn: The Knitter's Book of Yarn and The Knitter's Book of Wool.

Welcome to Clara's living room the KR Forums, Pema!

Jane

Go to Top of Page

kkehrig
New Pal

7 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2010 :  12:54:11 PM  Show Profile Send kkehrig a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I made some fingerless gloves with Twist and they pilled a lot.
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2010 :  1:02:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think Malabrigo translates to pilling in English. Or maybe shrinking. Or maybe it's like one of those double meaning words like Aloha and means both pilling and shrinking. Yeah, that's it. I won't buy anything that says Malabrigo. Why not? Don't get me started.........

Maybe the Malabrigo Twist is the answer but I'll never know.

I apologize for being negative on the yarn review two weeks in a row. I really do refer back to these reviews quite often and have made good decisions based on the info given.

GFTC of NYC
my knitting photos on Flickr or Ravelry
Go to Top of Page

rosir
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
442 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2010 :  2:20:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit rosir's Homepage Send rosir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well THANK YOU Jane & Clara. I have been so good for almost three months. No new yarn purchases until today. First Jane and her Sundara post on FB, now Clara with yarn I loved, but stopped buying because of limited usefulness. Oh sure, I have Foxfire Sheep Shares and Spirit Trail subscription, and the tail end of Embrace the Lace from Wool Girl, who is closing up her online shop.....boohooo, but still, you know me and yarn. Imagine, I almost made it an entire 3 months. I'm just a weak willed spend thrift, but at least the diet is going well.

Rosi,
who really loves Clara and Jane lots, even though they are evil sirens
Go to Top of Page

Luann
Permanent Resident

USA
2678 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2010 :  2:34:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Luann's Homepage Send Luann a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rosi, that sound you hear is the collective cheering of all yarn sellers around the globe.

And those of us who frequent the stash lounge at the KR Retreat...

Luann

Knit and let knit!
http://www.luannocracy.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4399 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2010 :  3:01:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Atta girl, Rosi!

Jane

Go to Top of Page

Martheme
Sustaining Member

USA
1565 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2010 :  4:16:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Martheme's Homepage  Send Martheme a Yahoo! Message Send Martheme a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lol! Hanging out at KR and being on a yarn diet is rather like being on a regular diet and deciding to work next door to an Italian bakery. Disaster written all over it.

;) Love you guys!

Margaret

Blog: http://www.afewsheepshyofafarm.com/
Go to Top of Page

NutmegOwl
Gabber Extraordinaire

582 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2010 :  08:27:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit NutmegOwl's Homepage Send NutmegOwl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jane, you know where to send all unwanted tams!
And Rosi, you know where all that unloved yarn that's begging for attention belongs ...

-----
Nutmeg Owl
Quaecumque sunt vera
http://www.owlwaysknitting.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4406 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2010 :  09:14:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rosi, I am here to serve.

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page

marfa
Permanent Resident

USA
2085 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2010 :  4:54:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit marfa's Homepage Send marfa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How do.

All this talk of the Stash Lounge is making me miss you all!

Martha

http://marfasmewsings.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.38 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.