Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Reader's Corner
 Talk about books reviewed in Knitter's Review
 Knitting Brioche
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Clara
queen bee

USA
4403 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2010 :  7:46:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll come straight to the point: This is a fantastic book. Truly.

OK, now you don't have to read the review! But I urge you to anyway.

Does anyone else have a copy yet? Are you as fascinated as I am? Or was my copy spiked with Magic Happy Reviewer Powder?

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher

minh
Permanent Resident and Destasher Extraordinnaire

USA
3459 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2010 :  8:05:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit minh's Homepage Send minh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Boy, oh boy, I'm excited about this book! I saw it at my local bookstore and was thrilled to see a great techniques section as well as numerous projects. The only reason I didn't buy it is... I've never tried brioche stitch so I wanted to try a small brioche hat from IK before getting the book. OK, lame excuse, I'll go and buy it this weekend ;)
Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4403 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2010 :  8:09:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, that's not lame! What if you tried brioche and, I don't know, your hands suddenly spontaneously combusted? Better to find out in a small hat before you invest in a whole book.

But if your hands don't spontaneously combust, I have a feeling you might really enjoy having this book as a reference. Just, you know... in case you wake up on a Sunday morning and crave some brioche.

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page

Martheme
Sustaining Member

USA
1565 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2010 :  9:17:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Martheme's Homepage  Send Martheme a Yahoo! Message Send Martheme a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Clara Thank you for the review!

I actually have not bought many knitting books recently (running out of shelves!) but your review made me want to run out and buy this one! I'm already working on a plan to get to the bookstore after school drop off in the morning. ;)

Martheme

Blog: http://www.afewsheepshyofafarm.com/
Go to Top of Page

kjelenfy
New Pal

11 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2010 :  06:24:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit kjelenfy's Homepage Send kjelenfy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can't wait to see this one!
Go to Top of Page

knitz2
Permanent Resident

USA
1800 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2010 :  07:01:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit knitz2's Homepage Send knitz2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I recently got the book and at a glimpse it looks great but it is sitting over in that corner with the other 3 new books I have that I haven't had time to explore yet. A few months ago I did a small sampler of brioche stitch from a "how to" I found on the net somewhere and decided it has real possibilities for inclusion in my future projects. Also, I now believe it was the stitch used to make a scarf that a customer once brought to me asking if I could identify the stitch pattern and help her execute it; at the time I was clueless about brioche.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass ...
.....it's learning how to dance in the rain!
Come visit me at http://yarnbasket.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2599 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2010 :  08:38:00 AM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love brioche stitch and have swatched several of the Barbara Walker variations. I've also looked at the brioche projects from Weekend Knitting (2-color, circular, etc) but have been put off by the errata and some of the comments on the explanation of technique.

So I think this book may be just the thing I need.

By the way, if anyone wants a sample of Marchant's style, take a poke around her website:

http://www.briochestitch.com/home.HTM

Aside: I think it's an insult that my spell-checker flags "swatched" as misspelled. How rude!
Go to Top of Page

arizonaknitter
New Pal

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2010 :  09:27:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit arizonaknitter's Homepage Send arizonaknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I saw this book last weekend at Barnes and Nobles - I came very close to purchasing it but was unsure. After your review Clara, I'm buying it!

Tina
Go to Top of Page

marjotse
Permanent Resident

Sweden
1018 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2010 :  12:03:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit marjotse's Homepage Send marjotse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your review! I finally mastered Brioche lat year, even though I am dutch and Fishermen's stitch sweaters were indeed very popular I never tried to knit one.... I love her web-page and the book on my "very much desired" right away. It's just a bit higher up the list now!

Marjolein

my photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/98299499@N00/
www.ravelry.com/projects/marjotse
Go to Top of Page

La galloise
Chatty Knitter

France
162 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2010 :  3:16:22 PM  Show Profile Send La galloise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't know you could knit it .......here in France we eat brioche
Go to Top of Page

cpknits
Chatty Knitter

USA
300 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2010 :  3:20:27 PM  Show Profile Send cpknits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the great review. I was looking at it the other week and was on the fence as I have many, many knitting books. I had also read somewhere (was it in the book maybe) brioche stitch uses twice as much yarn for an item. Does anyone know if this true? I think I am going to get it anyway as (1) a thick, warm sweater sounds good at this time of year and (2) one can never have too many well researched technique books.

Carol, Wisconsin
Go to Top of Page

jco582001
New Pal

13 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2010 :  08:06:11 AM  Show Profile Send jco582001 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had already purchased the book prior to the review and I absolutely love it. I have never tried Brioche before and within 20 minutes I was swatching away. I really want to do some of the multi-color patterns she shows in the book and there is a sweater in there I love!
Go to Top of Page

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2010 :  02:46:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes. I bought it! It's mind boggling.

what I want to know is .... how many swatches did you knit?

I think I'm going to have to do a whole swatch library - there are so many different patterns. It's like a Barbara Walker for a single stitch. Staggered.

I have an enormous library of knitting books and my purchasing has slowed down to a molassas like crawl over the past year or two - but this one was truly worth the money. Thanks for the review.

Bess
http://likethequeen.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

purlgin
Chatty Knitter

109 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2010 :  06:59:19 AM  Show Profile Send purlgin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was looking through this book at Barnes and Noble last week and was so enthralled that my husband insisted I buy it.(!) What could I do? I had to buy it. Have never knit brioche and haven't swatched yet, but it is one beautiful, spirit-lifting book! Great for browsing, inspiration, etc. even before you pick up a needle. Thanks, Clara, for alerting us.
Go to Top of Page

minh
Permanent Resident and Destasher Extraordinnaire

USA
3459 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2010 :  8:18:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit minh's Homepage Send minh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
cpknits, this book does mention that brioche requires twice as much yarn.

I sat down with the book on Friday and swatched several stitch patterns. As Clara mentioned in her review, I had to slow down before casting on (something I'm not used to doing when I get a new book!) but the bark and burp stitches came naturally after a while. Selvedge stitches were really helpful to me, otherwise I would totally mess up the first stitch in the row! Despite the warm weather, I'm thinking of knitting a two-color brioche hat soon.
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2010 :  04:28:20 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I absollutly adore brioche, both the knit and the baked variety.

fran

http://martianmischief.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

cpknits
Chatty Knitter

USA
300 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2010 :  1:21:41 PM  Show Profile Send cpknits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Minh, Thanks. I think I'll have to try it. Eventually I want to start working on another warm sweater for winter. I'm getting tired of looking at myself in the two I have.

Carol, Wisconsin
Go to Top of Page

donnawatk
Seriously Hooked

765 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2010 :  08:58:12 AM  Show Profile Send donnawatk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Knitpicks has this book on sale $16.99
Go to Top of Page

ikkivan
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
536 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2010 :  6:22:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit ikkivan's Homepage Send ikkivan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was on the KnitPicks waiting list for this book; I wanted it mostly to see if it would help me learn how to identify and pick up dropped stitches (better just not to make mistakes; ha)! Brioche stitch is one of my favorite stitch patterns for scarves, especially for men. And it is definitely a heavy feeder on the yarn, but is just so very plush. I hope to knit a hat from the book.

When I was younger, I collected and read cookbooks like they were page-turner novels. Now it's knitting books. At one time I collected and devoured quilting books, but never really got into quilting; daughter has those now and she does quilt. But I DO cook and knit!

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time.
Go to Top of Page

mathiemom
Chatty Knitter

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2010 :  11:08:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit mathiemom's Homepage Send mathiemom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Love this book, too! I got it from the public library (after waiting my place in the reserve line) and immediately decided that I had to buy it. I've done a brioche sweater before, but this book has so much information to get those creative juices flowing . . .

Wendy
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.89 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?