Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 any cure for messy edges?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

chem
New Pal

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2010 :  09:41:21 AM  Show Profile Send chem a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am knitting knitspicks column scarf http://www.knitpicks.com/cfpatterns/pattern_display.cfm?ID=50544220 and the edges are messy. Not that my son will ever notice but my eye is drawn to those edges. I have already knitted about 5 ft. Is there anything I can do? can I add an I-cord edge? thank you all. I hope I put this in the right place. marianne

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2010 :  10:02:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Applied icord would be very nice. Good tutorial: applied icord

If you know how to crochet, crab stitch makes a nice edge and doesn't look feminine like a regular crocheted border could.

GFTC of NYC
my knitting photos on Flickr or Ravelry
Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1699 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2010 :  1:10:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have posted here about avoiding ladders, and the same is true for selvedges. Do a KR search on ladders; I'm sure you'll find them!

Ceil

Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
Go to Top of Page

flicka
Seriously Hooked

867 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2010 :  10:18:06 PM  Show Profile Send flicka a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Blocking might make the edges seem tidy enough so that they don't bother you.

flicka
Go to Top of Page

Black Sheep
New Pal

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2010 :  03:27:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Black Sheep's Homepage Send Black Sheep a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, he's a boy, right? Perfect for the ruff and ragged, manly look. I say keep the rough edges and glory in them. Now, when you knit your next scarf, you might try slipping the first stitch of every row to run a tidy chain up the edges. The way you slip (purlwise, or knitwise) depends on several factors, so what I do is pick one, then check it after my second stitch. If it's a purl bump instead of a chain, I back up and slip it the other way.
By the way the previous suggestions will all work great too. Plus...isn't Knitters Review great?
::o)Linda (Black Sheep)
Go to Top of Page

daveywavey
New Pal

19 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2010 :  04:00:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit daveywavey's Homepage Send daveywavey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
An option is to do a double chain crochet edge. It looks great and is easy to add. You can find a few great tutorials on YouTube.
Go to Top of Page

chem
New Pal

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2010 :  05:08:06 AM  Show Profile Send chem a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thank you all for your great suggestions!! I do want to add that I usually have pretty neat edges- the problem here was the switching colors every row. I wasn't consistant. I will try the crochet edge first- it sounds the simplest. And if this snow continues, I will have time to try the I-cord edge. thanks again.
marianne
Go to Top of Page

marigold
New Pal

4 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2010 :  08:23:55 AM  Show Profile Send marigold a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i came across this in doing dishcloths. slip the first st as to knit, work to the end of the row and purl the last stitch. this gives you the prettiest edge.

since you are way into this scarf you could simply do a single crochet- not too tightly!
Go to Top of Page

Rossteusch@sbcglobal.net
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2010 :  09:39:14 AM  Show Profile Send Rossteusch@sbcglobal.net a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chem

I am knitting knitspicks column scarf http://www.knitpicks.com/cfpatterns/pattern_display.cfm?ID=50544220 and the edges are messy. Not that my son will ever notice but my eye is drawn to those edges. I have already knitted about 5 ft. Is there anything I can do? can I add an I-cord edge? thank you all. I hope I put this in the right place. marianne

I am of the old European school where selvedge stitches were always part of the pattern and I still use them 98% of the time. I've been doing this for 60 years, my mother before that and probably on and on into the past. You may have to add two extra stitches to your knitting. On the right hand side, purl the first stitch, then knit your pattern until the last stitch and knit the last stitch through the back of the loop. I'ts always the same. At the beginning of the row, purl the first stitch and at the end of the row knit the last stitch through the back of the loop. This gives you a nice edge that is flexible and neat. Hope this helps. Renate
Go to Top of Page

shar1ford
New Pal

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2010 :  6:26:52 PM  Show Profile Send shar1ford a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Slip the first stitch of each row..your sides will be beautifully straight!!

Sharon L. Ford
Go to Top of Page

kare
New Pal

18 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2010 :  5:09:19 PM  Show Profile Send kare a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some great ideas here...I'll try them next time I have a project that I know will have uneven edges. Also will be helpful with the dishcloths I make.
Kare
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2010 :  05:14:20 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Uneven edges tend to disappear with experience in knitting. Here are a few ideas which may speed the process. Knitting tends to loosen up when we stop knitting, for example, to turn it for the next row. This loosening up gives messy edges.

A knitting stitch needs to be held in place by another stitch or it will loosen up. So when starting a new row, you will have a loose stitch if you don't snug it up before making the next stitch, the first on the row, which will lock the last stitch in place, but now you have to make another stitch to lock that first one in place or you will still have a loose stitch along the edge. You will find your own way to do this automatically now that you know to watch for it. What works for m e is to put an extra wrap of yarn around my index finger which tightens up the tension and after I have made those first 2 stitches I drop it and continue knitting.

Remember, it takes 2 stitches to hold the yarn in place.

fran

http://martianmischief.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.36 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.