Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Knitalongs
 February Cormo Woolalong
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Clara
queen bee

USA
4401 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2010 :  5:36:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello everybody!

I'm writing to let you know about something fun bubbling away in the Knitter's Book of Wool group on Ravelry: woolalongs! The idea is simple: Each month I pick a breed and we play with it. We can knit anything we want, out of any YARN we want - as long as itís from the breed in question. No pressure if you just knit a square or a shawl. It's all about the experience.

Consider it a monthly wine-tasting group where each of us brings our own bottle and talks about it. You can share what you find, where you find it, and what you think of it. Together, we can assemble a pretty amazing list of yarn sources for each breed.

Our February woolalong is dedicated to the glorious breed called CORMO, which is a cross between Corriedale and Merino. It's one of my favorites.

Folks are already ordering yarn, winding their skeins, and contemplating projects. I invite you to join along. If you don't have any Cormo in your stash, I can recommend companies with whom Iíve had a long and extremely satisfying Cormo yarn relationship:

Elsa Wool Company
and
Foxfire Fiber & Designs

If you'd like to join us, you can follow along here or go straight to the Knitter's Book of Wool group on Ravelry.

Thank you!

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher

marfa
Permanent Resident

USA
1993 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2010 :  6:24:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit marfa's Homepage Send marfa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How do.

Clara, love this idea! I have some Cormo from Foxfire - I grimace as I wonder which tote houses it. We moved 3 months ago & I know you all will appreciate that I/we still have things in boxes ^^ .. ^^

Foxfire yarns are fantabulous! So yummy.

Thanks, Miz Clara.

Martha

http://marfasmewsings.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

minh
Permanent Resident and Destasher Extraordinnaire

USA
3458 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2010 :  7:19:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit minh's Homepage Send minh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What a great idea! Does it have to be 100% cormo or can we use blends? I have plenty of Foxfire Cormo Silk Alpaca in my stash.

Let me see if I can somehow combine the woolalong with "Defi 13". I love to multi-task!
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4377 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2010 :  7:45:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, you know I'm on board! I have some Foxfire cormo alpaca yarn that will make a nice small shawl... But then there's that little Bijou Basin cormo yak order I placed the other day... It's a wonderful idea, Clara!

Jane

Betty needs a warm hat: Support KR
Blog: Not Plain Jane
Photos: My Flickr Album
Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4401 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2010 :  9:52:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh yes indeed, Minh, blends are good. They add to the fun, since the blender and blendee further impact what you experience.

Clara
Go to Top of Page

Lanea
Permanent Resident

USA
5189 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2010 :  05:39:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lanea's Homepage Send Lanea a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm thinking decadent thoughts about an afghan from the woolalong. I have a new reading chair in my bedroom, and I bet it would be even better with a lovely afghan on it. Mmmmmmmm, cormo . . .

See proof of insanity: http://crazylanea.com/
Read my audiobook reviews: http://booksforears.com/
Buy handmade sock knitting bags: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5031570
Join the KR Webring: http://www.crazylanea.com/fiberarts/2006/07/the_knitters_re.html
Go to Top of Page

One Stitch at a Time
Chatty Knitter

294 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2010 :  09:01:07 AM  Show Profile Send One Stitch at a Time a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm in...just need to think of a small project. Any suggestions?

Nanci
Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4401 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2010 :  10:41:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*cough* Sweet Fern Mitts *cough*

Clara
Go to Top of Page

jrpalermo
New Pal

8 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2010 :  10:43:01 AM  Show Profile Send jrpalermo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have some wonderful Cormo yarn from Elsa's. I made some great hats and scarves for the men in my life last Christmas.
Go to Top of Page

Bethany
Permanent Resident

USA
1546 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2010 :  1:00:52 PM  Show Profile Send Bethany a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not saying I'm going to get to it this month, or even this year... but would the Elsa fingering woolen-spun be suitable for socks? (The worsted might be better, but it's cream, and I think the natural gray could make for some pretty socks... maybe with a cable pattern?)

I'm interested in trying some of the fine wools you mention in your book, to see if I can use for them for next-to-skin wear. (So far every non-merino wool I've tried has been a bust for me, but of course that was generally generic "wool," not wool from other breeds specifically bred for fine wool.) Socks seem like a thing to try, because I'm not nearly as sensitive on my feet as elsewhere. (I can wear "generic wool" socks.) So even if I get the yarn and decide it's not soft enough for next-to-the-skin most places, I can still make nice socks from it.
Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4401 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2010 :  1:51:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't feel comfortable recommending the woolen-spun for socks, simply because the fibers are fine, there are only two plies, and you really need the added reinforcement of fully aligned fibers that you get in the worsted-spun.

Having said that, I would recommend the worsted-spun for socks. In fact, you can see them in action (in the white, no less!) in Amy King's Guernsey Socks from The Knitter's Book of Yarn. Lots of purdy cables and everything.

Clara
Go to Top of Page

Coolj
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2010 :  5:39:38 PM  Show Profile Send Coolj a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm in! Elsa worsted is on order!
Juanita
Go to Top of Page

KnittingKittens
Chatty Knitter

USA
170 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2010 :  6:28:44 PM  Show Profile Send KnittingKittens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am also in--a state of indecision. I cannot decide what to make and I still need to get the Cormo. Oh, what to do! Maybe I will order it and display this in the basket of beauties (all yarn of course!) on my coffee table. Hmmmm.
Go to Top of Page

knitree
Seriously Hooked

688 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2010 :  6:52:18 PM  Show Profile Send knitree a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From the 2008 Stash Lounge, I hold in my hands 1 luscious skein of 100% Cormo sportweight, 4 ozs, 200 yards, from Winter Haven Fiber Farm, in natural cream, with just a hint of lanolin-scent. It is soft, it is springy, and it has been waiting to be called to action. Let the pattern-hunt begin!

Tree
Taking simple patterns and complicating them...
Go to Top of Page

Bethany
Permanent Resident

USA
1546 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2010 :  7:25:20 PM  Show Profile Send Bethany a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was afraid you were going to say that... if I had time to do some dying, the worsted would definitely be fun for hand-dyed socks. But these days I barely have time to knit. :-)
Go to Top of Page

aviva
New Pal

18 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2010 :  8:03:30 PM  Show Profile Send aviva a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Buckwheat Bridge Angora yarn is very nice too (kid mohair plus cormo). So soft!
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4377 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2010 :  04:29:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnittingKittens

I am also in--a state of indecision. I cannot decide what to make and I still need to get the Cormo. Oh, what to do! Maybe I will order it and display this in the basket of beauties (all yarn of course!) on my coffee table. Hmmmm.

I like your idea... You could call it your "piece" for the month, then rearrange it (artfully, of course) next month, and so on, and so on. No commitment to a pattern! No ruining those beautiful skeins by knitting them (we all do that don't we?)! As long as you take artful photos no one will notice that you haven't knit a thing!

Jane

Betty needs a warm hat: Support KR
Blog: Not Plain Jane
Photos: My Flickr Album
Go to Top of Page

BlueStocking
Sustaining Member

USA
945 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2010 :  07:36:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit BlueStocking's Homepage Send BlueStocking a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm in, and will be starting to spin the cormo/silk roving I bought from Foxfire at the Retreat last year ... 16 ounces ~ yum!

Jennifer

"What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail?"

Yarns and Rare Spinning Fibers from Spirit Trail Fiberworks: http://www.spirit-trail.net
Blog: http://TheSpiritTrail.blogspot.com
"SpiritTrail" on Flickr and Ravelry

Go to Top of Page

KnittingKittens
Chatty Knitter

USA
170 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2010 :  5:57:32 PM  Show Profile Send KnittingKittens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jane is one smart cookie! Artful arrangements indeed--superb idea,simply superb! I can hold my head up and announce I ordered two skeins of the light gray woolen spun worsted weight. What a sweet relief knowing that the Cormo is on its way to me.
Go to Top of Page

ella
New Pal

12 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2010 :  10:17:18 AM  Show Profile Send ella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm in! Just ordered a skein of Cormo Woolen-spun from Elsa in medium gray . . . what shall I make with it? Any pattern suggestions?
Go to Top of Page

ceddy
New Pal

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2010 :  11:43:50 AM  Show Profile Send ceddy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm in - this sounds very intriging and a great way to sample differnt yarns. I like the idea of an aphgan of the completed parts at the end.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.8 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?