Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Tool Talk
 Gadgets
 Blocking boards vs mats
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Gibson Girl
Chatty Knitter

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2010 :  10:47:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Gibson Girl's Homepage Send Gibson Girl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
After nearly 40 years of knitting I must admit I'd never heard of a blocking board. I've always used two striped beach towels and a tape measure on the guest bed. Seems to have worked well all these years. However with so many glowing reports I may have to check it out.
Go to Top of Page

churchlady
Warming Up

Canada
81 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2010 :  4:32:22 PM  Show Profile Send churchlady a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a big collapsible sweater-dryer that folds into a tube for storage. It fits into the bathtub or onto the bed and props up a bit so I can turn on the ceiling fan and block pattern pieces or dry a sweater. I think it had "Woolite" brand on it, with the laundry stuff. I've got a package of puzzle-shape blocks I haven't tried yet, and my first shawl is about 3/4 done, so I guess I have to see if I have enough space.
Go to Top of Page

sdprince
New Pal

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2010 :  11:41:44 AM  Show Profile Send sdprince a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I made my own blocking board from two sheets of 2' X 4' styrofoam insulation, taped together with duct tape so they can fold in half. Final dimensions are 4' X 4', of course. One side of the board has a printed 2 in. X 2 in. dot grid, for rough measurement. It's light and the price was right. It would be easy to make a larger one, too, to suit one's needs.

I use it when I block newly knit & dampened or rewashed sweaters, and other garments. Works like a charm.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Susan Prince
Alta, CA
Life is short - carpe felix.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

erikahanne
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2010 :  5:51:58 PM  Show Profile Send erikahanne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What is the large board someone mentioned from Jo-Anne"s fabric made of and what is it's intended use? Also, what is it called? No one at Jo-Ann's knew what I was talking about and they said they would also like to know because they are also knitters.
Jo-Ann's has a 40% off coupon this week and I would like to get one of the large boards for blocking a couple of baby blankets I just finished. Although I have knitted my whole life, I have never blocked anything.
I wonder if an item like a baby blanket made from the 100% acrylic yarn called Sensations from Jo-Ann's will benefit from blocking. I used the pattern called "Boats for Cameron" from Debbie MacCombers first pattern book. The blanket consists of three panels with boats and two panels with cables between. The cables and the seams seem to pull and don't want to lay quite flat. The blanket looks much prettier when I pull it apart a little. And then, how do I go about blocking, since I have never done it?
Please let me know what you all think before my coupon expires.
Thank you so very much for your input.
Erika
Go to Top of Page

jonggleur
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2010 :  12:39:21 PM  Show Profile Send jonggleur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i dont use either a blocking board or a mat; i use the cover of a large, heavy cardboard box! I knit mostly childrens sweaters, so they fit fine on the cover. Anyone else try this?
Go to Top of Page

djk528
New Pal

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2010 :  08:25:13 AM  Show Profile Send djk528 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I made a blocking board from one of the large cardboard cutting boards sold at Joanns. I used the coupon, of course :) I covered the board with clear Contact paper so I could use it for wet and damp things. Then I just use the t-pins and stick them into the cardboard. Works great for me and I like having the printed inch grid. The whole thing is big enough to block all parts of a sweater at once. It folds flat and stands in the back of a closet for storage.

I have had mine a few years now, and use it often. I suppose it won't last forever, but as long as I can find the cardboard cutting boards and clear Contact paper, I can always make another one :)
Go to Top of Page

Goldendoodle Mom
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  5:38:51 PM  Show Profile Send Goldendoodle Mom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do you know where I can buy the large size blocking board? I prefer to buy it locally but can't find any stores that carry one. Which website sell them? Thanks.

Sara
Go to Top of Page

neraksenrab
Chatty Knitter

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  06:03:55 AM  Show Profile Send neraksenrab a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WEBS has both the small and large blocking boards ($45.00 and $79.00) Go to http://www.yarn.com. Guardian Table also sells the Sew EZ blocking boards -- I think these are identical -- http://www.guardian-tablepad.com/sewez.html -- they are on sale right now for $40 for the small and $60 for the larger board. I did not check shipping prices -- which also could make a difference for you. I've ordered before from both companies and had great service. Karen

Go to Top of Page

Laxmom4x
Gabber Extraordinaire

527 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2010 :  3:44:27 PM  Show Profile Send Laxmom4x a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am wondering, some people have made their own grids on their homemade boards. Could you make a grid on the KP interlocking blocks with a T square and a permanent marker? (Of course if we let KP know, they will come up with blocks with grids I bet but in the meantime....

Janet
"Change is inevitable except from a vending machine"
Go to Top of Page

susan14_23
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
551 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2010 :  2:07:08 PM  Show Profile Send susan14_23 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't tried this (haven't gotten blocking mats yet) but I imagine you could keep a large piece of 1" square gingham fabric with your blocking mats, and lay it over the assembled mats before blocking your knitting. It would be easier than drawing a grid directly on the mats.

Susan
Go to Top of Page

Laxmom4x
Gabber Extraordinaire

527 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2010 :  4:56:12 PM  Show Profile Send Laxmom4x a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And probably more colorfast too!

Janet
"Change is inevitable except from a vending machine"
Go to Top of Page

Kak
New Pal

Ireland
15 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2012 :  3:25:36 PM  Show Profile Send Kak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was thinking of ordering the Blocking Tiles advertised on this site, anyone used them ??

Kak
Go to Top of Page

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2584 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2012 :  6:50:28 PM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have both the blocking board (ordered from Guardian years ago) and blocking tiles. The board is good for things like sweater parts that need to be measured; the blocking mats are good for small items (socks, mittens, swatches), and for oddly shaped items like scarves and some shawls. Like a lot of accessories - are they necessary? No, people have been knitting for generations without these things. Are they nice to have? Yes, no question about it, subject to budget and space constraints.

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Go to Top of Page

CatherineS
New Pal

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2013 :  12:21:49 PM  Show Profile Send CatherineS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm in the market for my 1st blocking board, but, after reading these comments and looking at what's available, I think I'm going to go with the Bagsmith's Block & Roll Flexible Blocking Mat (on Amazon -- the size in the heading is incorrect, actual size is 38"x50"). There's a similar mat sold by Webs (Block 'n Roll Blocking Mat) but it's almost $15 more. The mat is about 1/2 the price of a blocking board of similar size, and I don't want to try building my own board.
Go to Top of Page

Daylily
New Pal

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2013 :  8:19:43 PM  Show Profile Send Daylily a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have the interlocking tiles from Knit Picks along with the wires and T pins.

Daylily, another one tomorrow
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.5 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.