Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Where does yarn hide?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Coolj
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2010 :  07:34:53 AM  Show Profile Send Coolj a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Am I the only (or perhaps just the most) disorganized person on KR? I'm always losing or misplacing needles, markers, holders but primarily yarn! Now I've managed to lose two skeins of KP's Imagination in Seven Dwarves colorway. I know that part of my problem lies in trying to keep the den straight even though I do 95% of my knitting there. I believe I went through all my knitting bags, and now I'm heading to the basement to search through the plastic bins.

Sometimes, yarn seems to take on a life of its own and play hide and seek. I have found it hiding under books, in the car trunk, in closets and with other yarns.

I know what I need to do, but I'll never maintain the discipline required to keep my supplies organized. Does anyone else have this problem? Do you frequently lose or misplace things?

My D S-I-L's socks will have to wait until I find those pesky skeins.
Juanita

yarnlover
Permanent Resident

1752 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2010 :  08:16:56 AM  Show Profile Send yarnlover a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This makes me laugh - at myself.

I am very organized, in my mind, but physically, it is a challenge. I know my problem stems from having too much yarn with too little space for storage. I also have A LOT of wool for spinning even more yarn...

I bought 10 skeins of a beautiful yarn on sale last summer and I haven't got the foggiest idea of where I put it. I know it is in the house somewhere, and eventually I'll find it, but these days I don't have a lot of spare time to look for it - or to try once again to reorganize myself. I have yarn, needles, wool, beads, embroidery thread, felting supplies, fabric, and more, everywhere.

The problem with organizing it is that then I can't find things. I did some organizing a few weeks ago and put some beads for knitting somewhere. I found a few more on sale last week and want to store them all together - only problem is I can't find that first batch. So, no you are definitely not the only KR member with this problem. Maybe we are the only two, but somehow I don't think so.........

See My Stuff: Here

Go to Top of Page

Kade1301
Permanent Resident

France
1438 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2010 :  08:41:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kade1301's Homepage Send Kade1301 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think my things disappear into another dimension. Often enough I KNOW that I have some of that beige angora (or whatever I need at the moment) left, I know WHERE it must be - but it isn't there. Till the moment when I've finished the item without it - then it reappears, at the exact same spot where it's supposed to be and where I looked for it.

Bye, Klara

http://www.lahottee.info
Go to Top of Page

2totangle
Permanent Resident

1212 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2010 :  09:26:08 AM  Show Profile Send 2totangle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've managed to herd all the yarn into one closet, with some escape pods in the form of WIPs in canvas bags. However, I did have 3 skeins I had bought to make a Night Garden Noni bag disappear for the better part of a year. I had concluded they might have fallen out of the car and pictured them cold and forlorn in the snowy, muddy parking lot of a mountain town Starbucks. Then, while packing up to leave my mother's house after Thanksgiving, I found them buried in one of her chairs under a pile of old dolls. I'm not sure why they decided to hide there since last winter -- maybe it's like wanting to stay in the museum after closing time? I've now got yarn for a second bag, having gone ahead and replaced them and knit the bag since they initially disappeared.

Suzanne

Flickr pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/2totangle/
Ravelry project page: http://www.ravelry.com/projects/2totangle
Go to Top of Page

Consuelo
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
582 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2010 :  11:47:41 AM  Show Profile Send Consuelo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought I was being organized when a friend and I built a small credenza sort of thing in the dining area of my motorhome: 9 cubbies all with container for yarn. A total luxury when you live in 400 sq ft. I proceeded to organize it all by brand, color, weight. OOOOHHHH I was proud of myself. But then the inevitable happened: I bought more yarn and it didn't fit in my cubbies. So I started stashing in less obvious places...

Forward one year: I usually teach in the winter and provide yarn for the classes so my credenza supply has recently dwindled. I though I'd find the other stashes and bring it all back to the credenza. DO YOU SUPPOSE I COULD FIND THE STUFF?????? I found a few skeins here and a few there but I know I'm missing at least a dozen skeins. I've even looked where I keep my toilet paper, in the engine compartment, in my husband's underwear drawer and nothing. When we get to Maine this summer and unload they'll probably show up in some obscure place that I was so sure I would remember.

With dog food??? In the unisex sweatshirt bin??? Under the stove in that hole I found??? I'm sick of looking so I'll wait till then :-D

Consuelo
"Tavel is fatal to prejudice" Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

Coolj
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2010 :  1:32:18 PM  Show Profile Send Coolj a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've really enjoyed reading your responses; it's nice to know I'm not alone in misplacing/losing things.

The Seven Dwarves wasn't in the basement. However, I did fine two missing skeins of Kureyon in a storage box under the guest bed! I will continue this search until I either find the yarn or something else I want to work on!
Juanita
Go to Top of Page

Luann
Permanent Resident

USA
2668 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2010 :  5:58:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Luann's Homepage Send Luann a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm in the same boat. Even when I had a stash room (former guestroom, now occupied by permanent little guest) I would loose things. About once a year I am in a frantic hunt for yarn I'm sure I have, usually can't find it and decide I must have de-stashed it at some point. Then it will turn up after I've decided to use something else or (more likely) bought more. I'm the worst about needles. I have tried everything. I have inventories, needle cases, a drawer with the sleeves for circs nicely sorted... but when I'm working on something or just finished w/something, I'm terrible about putting things away.

Luann

Knit and let knit!
http://www.luannocracy.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Audi
Chatty Knitter

106 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2010 :  11:08:06 AM  Show Profile Send Audi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow and here I thought I was just disorganized or my DH was right(heaven forbid), he says if I can loose yarn it means I didn't need it or had to much in the first place.

Now I know it's the yarn playing Hide and Seek on me!

Audi
Go to Top of Page

cpknits
Chatty Knitter

USA
300 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2010 :  4:06:23 PM  Show Profile Send cpknits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the yarn hides where some of my books do. I finally started keeping a record of my projects, measurements (also DH's) last year. I CANNOT find it in my stash/knitting/sewing room or in the living room, etc... ARGHH! It must have walked out the door.....

Carol, Wisconsin
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4387 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2010 :  4:14:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I stop short of keeping yarn in an underwear drawer or with the TP but I do stash it all over the place. The best part about losing yarn is finding it again -- it's as much fun as buying it in the first place!

Jane

Betty needs a warm hat: Support KR
Blog: Not Plain Jane
Photos: My Flickr Album
Go to Top of Page

Coolj
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2010 :  05:53:56 AM  Show Profile Send Coolj a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seven Dwarves still hasn't turned up. A friend suggested I get a house elf, but I'm not sure Dobby's skills would even locate my missing yarn. I GIVE UP! Do you hear that, yarn tricksters? I quit! I'll work on a totally different project. I'm not longer looking, so you can return my yarn.
Juanita
Go to Top of Page

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2046 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2010 :  11:52:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I used to have yarn all over the house and would even forget that I had certain skeins. Around the first of December I visited an unfinished furniture store, in my search for "something" tostore my yarn in. I found a bookcase by Archbold Furniture that just fit the bill for my storage. I had it stained and it is now full of yarn. If you go to the link below and click on "unfinished furniture catalog" and then click on the last item listed on the resulting page, you will see my "bookcase" at the bottom right. I had an oak like stain put on mine and it is beautiful.

http://www.archboldfurniture.com/

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!
Go to Top of Page

jreiz
New Pal

Canada
15 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2010 :  01:42:48 AM  Show Profile Send jreiz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My gang is used to me saying I can't find ??? My excuse is I know just where "it" is: "Under my roof". And I KNOW that, because I haven't rented a storage unit yet (a la Lily Chin) That may happen soon, not being able to entertain in my own house is getting to be a bore. Good thing that the cats are little - they can still make it through the pathways. Yes, that also is becoming more than a little embarassing!
Go to Top of Page

KnittingKittens
Chatty Knitter

USA
173 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2010 :  03:49:33 AM  Show Profile Send KnittingKittens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting that there has been no mention of animals. I know that the KnittingKittens have played with and hidden stitch markers so why not yarn? Look the little darlings right in the eye and get them to 'fess up! I think I will check my stash now. God only knows what goes on while I am at work!
Go to Top of Page

Coolj
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2010 :  06:05:00 AM  Show Profile Send Coolj a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No cats. Dogs, yes, but they aren't the perpetrators of yarn crimes.
Go to Top of Page

cablequeen
New Pal

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2010 :  08:45:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit cablequeen's Homepage  Send cablequeen a Yahoo! Message Send cablequeen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was always a little disorganised until we packed up and moved to America. Once it was all put into packing cases for the big move and I was on a visa which did not allow me to work - til I got my green card my resolution was to get organised! Over a period of time I purchased clear plastic zippered sweater bags. I then put each "project" in a bag and that meant the pattern, yarn and yes beads or trim that I needed. Now 13 years on and four of those years working full time in a yarn store the system still works incredibly well. Naturally with probably more yarn than some small LYS I have taken to putting one or two projects in a bag and I do have the huge plastic storage bins labelled with yarn in weight. My excess notions are stored in plastic cosmetic bags that came "free" with gift/purchase and again they work very well. And as for all the knitting needles they are stored in shoe boxes according to type - bamboo or metal, circular or straight. I have two Maine Coon cats and because of my careful storage system they have not been able to destroy anything. We will be moving back to Australia in the next year or two and this time everything will be a breeze to pack

Sally's Knitting Adventures
www.yarnblog.com
Go to Top of Page

Marianne W
New Pal

7 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2010 :  09:04:57 AM  Show Profile Send Marianne W a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't lose much because my stash is small and I tend to knit in one place, but my mom lost some yarn the other day. She's staying with my nieces while their parents take care of their newborn in the NICU. Late one night she was looking for her project and found one needle and one skein, but the rest of the project was missing. The next morning my brother asked the girls if they had seen it, and the 3 year old said that she knew where it was, because she'd hidden it behind her bedroom door. When they asked why, she said it was because Grammie wasn't knitting for her! She really really wants some blue socks. I suggested that Grammie should take her to buy some blue yarn!
Go to Top of Page

Irish Red
Warming Up

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2010 :  09:18:49 AM  Show Profile Send Irish Red a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I feel so much better! I have bought every organization item I see in the LYS's and knitting magazines....bags, containers or all shape and size. You nname it and I have probably tried it, to no avail. My studio is totally consumed by knitting and beading projects, my guest room MAY still have a bed in there somewhere, beside my favorite chair stands a pile up to the chair arm, and the spread is taking over the dining room table. Books are in every room, patterns in too many places. Yarn I KNOW I bought years ago and haven't knitted up yet mysteriously vanished. As much as I like gazing at the abundance and knowing I will never live long enough to knit up my stash, I am very frustrated with my lack of control when it comes to laying hands on any particular item. Coolj, you are not alone, although I have no solutions to offer you. I read all the suggestions for sorting and organizing and the stack of tubs just gets deeper!

The Industrious Bee
Go to Top of Page

mcavert
New Pal

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2010 :  09:57:50 AM  Show Profile Send mcavert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Through experience, I have the best luck finding something when I give up on finding and look for something else. We have had a cold winter here (Alabama) and I looked several times for a scarf that I knit out of Silk Garden in a shadow-knit design. I wanted that one more than once and looked "everywhere" for it. I finally decided that I must have left it somewhere at the end of the season last year, and that it was in someone's closet or at Goodwill. I finally finished a long-term project this week and decided it was time, now that the weather has moderated somewhat, to dig out an unfinished cotton sweater that has marinated for a couple of years and that I had finally decided to rip out to re-use the yarn. When I pulled out the bag that held that project, on top was my shadow scarf. What possessed me to put it in with the cotton sweater? The only thing could have been panicked housekeeping before a visitor's arrival. What made me look for that particular project? I can't rationalize this and make it happen. I have to truly give up and stop looking for the item and the next search is completely unrelated. I don't know if there's a germ of an idea that may help anyone else. Just adding my two cents' worth. By the way, this happens not only with yarn, but yarn and knitting supplies seem to be the things I look for most often.
Go to Top of Page

FL Knitter
Warming Up

59 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2010 :  10:01:49 AM  Show Profile Send FL Knitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I usually just lose entire projects into some random tote bag that I forget where I stowed. Skeins of yarn only get lost one way - cat! Luckily they also dig them back out so I can find them.
Go to Top of Page

Bonstrick
New Pal

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2010 :  10:54:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bonstrick's Homepage  Send Bonstrick a Yahoo! Message Send Bonstrick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well if anybody happens to be sick or have a week or two off from work they can do what I just did. In November I was out of work for the entire month with asthma. Once I started to feel better, I had my son bring all the large plastic tubs of yarn up from the basement. I listed each skein of yarn in a spreadsheet using Excel. I listed quantity (# of skeins), yardage per skein and total yardage, color, weight, brand and name With a spreadsheet it was easy to categorize into types of yarn so all aran weight, fingering weight, DK and Lace were listed separately. I then listed the tub number or closet or basket or shelf where the yarn was stored. This helped me in numerous ways. I can locate the yarn easily. I can refresh my memory as to what I have so it's easier to match yarn to pattern and honestly I was bowled over by the amount of yarn I owned. Now I think twice before purchasing new yarn. This system also helps when I am matching yarns or substituting yarns.

Just to give you an idea of the size of my stash, I have 7 pages of yarn listed. I have 80 skeins of Queensland Kathmandu, 50 skeins of Rowan Kid Classic, 70 skeins Debbie Bliss Cashmerino etc etc. I also have 30,000 yards lace yarn and there is sock yarn. OH MY! I would never admit to anyone other than another knitter how much yarn I own because it is beyond extensive. But my yarn brings me so much pleasure.

I hope my new method of keeping track helps me to use my stash rather than buying more and I hope my idea helps others.

I also organized all my patterns by category. I bought 10- 3 " plastic binders at Staples and plastic sleeves then I labeled them socks, women's sweaters, baby, mens sweaters, scarves, shawls etc. and I bought three 5 shelf book shelves to store my books and patterns on. It was all fun to complete and makes me feel happy.

Next time I get sick, I need to work on organizing knitting needles and accessories. Does anybody have suggestions for that? Also I have many started but stalled projects and I often go looking for a certain needle but because it's in a project I can't always find it or use it if I find it.

I'm looking forward to seeing all the suggestions ya'll make.

Bonnie
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.86 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.