Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Knitter's Review Retreat details and Sheepshow
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 What other forums do you love?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Consuelo
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
582 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2010 :  3:54:12 PM  Show Profile Send Consuelo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm interested in joining more knitting forums. I finally joined Ravelry and I'm finding my way around OK (I still don't LOVE it, but it's OK).

What other ones do you subscribe to and like a lot?

Consuelo
"Perfect is the enemy of good"

knitz2
Permanent Resident

USA
1800 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2010 :  06:37:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit knitz2's Homepage Send knitz2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
several years ago I was involved in a forum over at the Craft Yarn Council, I think it is www.craftyarncouncil.com but liked KR so much better I quit going there.

if you crochet, there is www.crochetville.org which I joined to take an online class last spring but rarely spend any time there now.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass ...
.....it's learning how to dance in the rain!
Come visit me at http://yarnbasket.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2010 :  10:59:50 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will browse ravelry to view finished projects or get a pattern and occasionally go to knitting.about.com but there is no other forum I visit on a daily basis except KR. For one thing, even though it is so slow, KR is still the best arrangement for a forum and the simplest for finding things.

fran

http://martianmischief.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Sara Sue
Permanent Resident

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2010 :  11:17:47 AM  Show Profile Send Sara Sue a Private Message  Reply with Quote
KR is the only forum I use. If I spend too much time on forums, I'm not spending time knitting, etc.
Go to Top of Page

zknit08
Chatty Knitter

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2010 :  12:56:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit zknit08's Homepage Send zknit08 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like www.crochetme.com Its mainly for crocheting.
Go to Top of Page

Luann
Permanent Resident

USA
2661 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2010 :  2:53:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Luann's Homepage Send Luann a Private Message  Reply with Quote
KR for me, too. I occasionally look at the Rav forums - those that are about a specific designer or technique can be useful, but nothing compares to the community of friends I have found here at KR.

Luann

Knit and let knit!
http://www.luannocracy.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

La galloise
Chatty Knitter

France
162 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2010 :  3:29:22 PM  Show Profile Send La galloise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are a few spinning forums I use regularly and I belong to Ravelry, but KR is much more friendly.
Mary
Go to Top of Page

kadiddly
Permanent Resident

USA
3076 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2010 :  3:33:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit kadiddly's Homepage  Send kadiddly a Yahoo! Message Send kadiddly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use KR for actual knitting and yarn advice, and Ravelry for project and color ideas. Oddly, I spend more time discussing things like hockey games, martial arts and television shows on Ravelry than I do discussing crafty things, but that's okay.

I've looked at a few other craft-forums and generally find them difficult to navigate. KR is definitely the best!

You can't tell me the sky is the limit when there are footprints on the moon.
Blackstage Stitches
Go to Top of Page

Marg in Mirror
Permanent Resident

Canada
3205 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2010 :  8:08:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Marg in Mirror's Homepage  Send Marg in Mirror a Yahoo! Message Send Marg in Mirror a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I confess: I delayed joining the Ravelry Bandwagon because Clara and KR were my first loves. But "Rav" is the only other knitters' forum I'm part of now. I find it has many differences -- and many similarities -- to KR, so I enjoy both. I like the subgroups on Ravelry, and have found some people with specific interests in specific groups there. At the same time, I enjoy the broader 'stroke' of the KR forums (fora, if one is to be correct in one's Latin)...And I still love Clara and follow her on Facebook too.

I am an equal-opportunity social net-worker!

M in M

TLWKOTB
http://knitsonthebus.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Wen
Permanent Resident

Australia
3244 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2010 :  02:58:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Wen's Homepage Send Wen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm an active member of a number of Rav groups. I tend to avoid the main boards as there appears to be a lot of judgemental people comment on there. I prefer the groups that are less serious and won't brow beat me because I prefer mass produced machine made socks to handknitted (oh the shame).

I saw one thread recently where a girl who was very obviously dyslexic was called out for not being able to spell. She didn't say so but she shouldn't have to. The level of her spelling ability made it obvious she wasn't just lazy. That is enough to upset me and make me stay away. I prefer smaller communities where people actually care about others and notice if you go missing. KR was very good to me when I came back after a bout of depression, it has a real community feel.

Wen

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wen1965/sets/72157612251840708/show/ FO 2009
http://www.flickr.com/groups/kr_members/
http://wenswoolgathering.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Panhandle Jane
Seriously Hooked

USA
607 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2010 :  04:53:19 AM  Show Profile Send Panhandle Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Unlike others, I seldom find negative comments on Ravelry, but I llimit my groups to projects or very narrow topics in which I have an interest. Some of those groups are not even active on a dialy basis, but I find the info and pictures on specific projects to be a valuable resource. For general information, I still prefer this group.

Blog--http:\\www.panhandleknitandsew.blogspot.com
Ravelry--panhandlejane

Go to Top of Page

KathyR
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
2969 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2010 :  3:09:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit KathyR's Homepage Send KathyR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm with Jane, here. I've seldom seen much negativity. I do like coming back here most days, though. However I do miss Ravelry agree, etc buttons. They do come in handy at times!

KathyR

If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got.
My Blog
http://www.flickr.com/groups/kr_members/ (Roselea Fibres)
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9712 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2010 :  5:00:57 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm a fan of the KR. From the beginning it was the best ever on the web. I don't care that it's a little slow.

I am a new moderator in one forum at Ravelry, and enjoy that. It's a huge place and trying to keep track of any but a few things there is overwhelming. Rav is nothing like KR. KR is the best for getting help, Rav is best for getting lost!

I do find the pictures and projects there good to see. All in one place with a touch of a button, you can see what lots of other people are doing with your yarn choice, or pattern choice. That's exactly what I thought would be good about it in the beginning. Organizing yarns, and patterns on line.

Lella
Zippiknits
Go to Top of Page

Milinda
Permanent Resident

USA
3817 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2010 :  5:33:52 PM  Show Profile Send Milinda a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lella

. . .I do find the pictures and projects there good to see. All in one place with a touch of a button, you can see what lots of other people are doing with your yarn choice, or pattern choice. That's exactly what I thought would be good about it in the beginning.

Lella
Zippiknits

:: I use Ravely for the reason Lella expressed.

But Clara's Front Porch/Cozy Sofa by the Fire has been and is always home for me.

M L
Go to Top of Page

Consuelo
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
582 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2010 :  8:13:46 PM  Show Profile Send Consuelo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are there no other forums that are of interest? Useful? If the answer is no, I'm good to go. I'm just wondering

Consuelo
"Tavel is fatal to prejudice" Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

Tranny
Warming Up

72 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2010 :  8:49:17 PM  Show Profile Send Tranny a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Based on the 13 answers so far, I'd guess not. Have you tried Googling it? I bet with some clicking here and there you might find yourself in another community you like even more.
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9712 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2010 :  12:00:35 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tranny,"might" is indeed the word. From my own experience, they must be well hidden, because I did a lot of looking myself from about 1989 on, and never found anything remotely as good as the KR. I was seeking to reconnect with the knitting community after working in sales in a yarn shop that was very active until it closed during the latter part of the knitting drought of the 80's.

Consuelo, I love that tag line of yours. true true!

Lella
Zippiknits
Go to Top of Page

Consuelo
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
582 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2010 :  1:31:27 PM  Show Profile Send Consuelo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Lella. We live on the road abou 9 months of the year and that proves itsef true again and again.

Well, thanks everybody. I've come to the conclusion that KR, Ravelry, Kitty and the forum on KnittingHelp are about it. The yarn companies have them, too, but I just couldn't get interested.

I'll give up the search and stay this these.

Consuelo
"Tavel is fatal to prejudice" Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.61 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.