Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 I'm not worthy!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

fiddlerbird555
Permanent Resident

USA
1429 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2010 :  5:57:04 PM  Show Profile Send fiddlerbird555 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been procrastinating on my next project. Last year I bought this beautiful soft natural color (two skeins, dark & light) alpaca yarn with the intent of making a neckwarmer from it. Now I've gotten my other projects out of the way & feel intimidated by it. The original idea was a simple double-knit tube, with a fancy-to-die-for two-color design, but I never figured out the design. I'd kind of like something bold, to be seen from a long way, but also with fine detail (and I'm not sure of what gauge I'd get, and therefore how big a design I can make).

Secondarily, we've had this really cold snap around here (yea, and everywhere else in the US), and I'm wondering if I wouldn't rather make a balaclava, or whether, since I need to wear glasses, it would be better to explicitly put a slit in the tube, so that I can pull it over my nose & not get too foggy to see.

Advice?

I can go loopy, or I can knit. Your choice.

Cheerleader9
Permanent Resident

USA
1563 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2010 :  8:21:03 PM  Show Profile Send Cheerleader9 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My advice is to pack up and move out here to AZ Weather is in the high 60's, low 70's. I'll put out the welcome mat

Barb in AZ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cheerleader9
http://www.ravelry.com/people/Cheerleader9
Go to Top of Page

fiddlerbird555
Permanent Resident

USA
1429 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2010 :  8:24:56 PM  Show Profile Send fiddlerbird555 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had a chance to transfer to Az. I wouldn't inflict the summers on my Viking-descended DH, and besides I'd lose all the fun of knitting warm stuff.

Go to Top of Page

Eleanor
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
583 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2010 :  06:20:59 AM  Show Profile  Send Eleanor a Yahoo! Message Send Eleanor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I emailed a site for a helmet hat.
Go to Top of Page

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2010 :  09:08:01 AM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
By any chance, is it this pattern? http://www.pepperknit.com/patterns/tapestrycowl.html It's on my to-do list.

Jan
Go to Top of Page

fiddlerbird555
Permanent Resident

USA
1429 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2010 :  12:56:29 PM  Show Profile Send fiddlerbird555 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was thinking of making a pattern, but that one looks nice enough I might just buy it.

Added; or maybe not. I think the yarn I want to use is thinner.

Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2010 :  10:36:26 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A cowl is just a cylinder of knitting about 24 inches in circumference. I've made them from 5 to 12 inches in length and a variety of patterns. Go for it!

fran

http://martianmischief.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

fiddlerbird555
Permanent Resident

USA
1429 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2010 :  1:41:23 PM  Show Profile Send fiddlerbird555 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I actually made a cowl before. It was meant to be a scarf, but I got impatient. I've started casting on, but this one I think I want to knit circular (That means I get to cast on the long way; I got at least 3/4 done last night.)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.38 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe