Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Spotted winter handknits or look-alikes?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

minh
Permanent Resident and Destasher Extraordinnaire

USA
3464 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2009 :  5:43:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit minh's Homepage Send minh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One of the reasons I like winter is that it's the best time to spot handknitted items on other people or to see a store-bought item that you like and could replicate.

Handknitted item I have seen: a Foliage hat in Malabrigo

Store-bought item I liked: I've seen a lot of asymmetrical cardis so far, similar to
this one designed by Yahaira Ferreira

So, what have you seen and liked so far?

miele
Chatty Knitter

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2009 :  06:19:51 AM  Show Profile Send miele a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is a booth at Grand Central Station, part of their holiday fair, that is selling Calorimetry-like hats. These are done in bulky or nubby yarn. I don't think they are as nice as the original but certainly they seem to be a knock-off. I don't know what the price is but I have been there twice and saw people buying them.
Ellen
Go to Top of Page

carolbeech
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
444 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2009 :  8:13:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit carolbeech's Homepage Send carolbeech a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm loving some of the cowls out there. Check out this Burberry inspired one!
http://juliannesmith.wordpress.com/2009/12/04/free-knitting-pattern-burberry-inspired-cowl-neck-scarf/

I'm going to make the one in Vogue Knitting Holiday (p.59), which looks a lot like this: http://fashiondesigners.instyle.com/collections/photos/runway/burberry/all/cowl-neck/results.html?No=4

(Sorry for the long link, I haven't figured out how to do the bold linky thing, hints accepted!)

www.carolbeech.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

purlgin
Chatty Knitter

109 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2009 :  01:29:17 AM  Show Profile Send purlgin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Today in Manhattan, it was really cold, and I saw several hats that looked like handknits. One had spiral ridges of knit-purl (maybe 4 rows knit, 4 rows purl) in a yarn something like Noro Silk Garden. Very nice. Also several handknit chullo-style hats (along with acres of machine-made chullos). And a girl's cap knit of two strands of wool, brown and yellowish-tan.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.36 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe