Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Knitalongs
 Watergarden Shrug Knitalong
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Tangled Jane
Seriously Hooked

Canada
750 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2006 :  3:27:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tangled Jane's Homepage Send Tangled Jane a Private Message
Linda, I think we were all trained to 'get things right', training so grooved into our brains, those little ruts cause some of us to go a little obsessive. We end up thinking there's one way of doing things and that we'd better get it perfect or it just won't be good enough--WE just won't be good enough! Though a few places exist where that brand of perfection is critical (heart surgery comes to mind), in art, at least, mistakes are irrelevant and only become mistakes if we label them that way.A dropped stitch is easy to fix. Nobody will every see it.

An artist only makes mistakes when she says she does.

All you needed was one pattern loose enough to bring out your own sense of experimentation. The glory in this kind of knitting is not in stitch arobatics (though I admire all those lace pattern maestros, truly I do) but in expressing yourself through color and texture. I can't tell you how thrilled I get when someone tells me that I've helped them feel more confident.
I keep thinking of all those legions of knitters who enter yarn stores and face bins upon bins of gorgeous yarn with no idea what to do with them. Now I'm hoping some of the stitch combo strategies I've illustrated turns all those yarns into new possibilities.

Jane
Go to Top of Page

lford
Chatty Knitter

USA
143 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2006 :  5:39:38 PM  Show Profile Send lford a Private Message
I made a mistake recently on the last block on each of my daughters quilts (they were identical). Before I had corrected the mistake, I read somewhere that some artists deliberately make/leave an error in their work as a sign of humility. After thinking about it, I decided to leave the blocks 'as is.'

Linda
Go to Top of Page

hypchick
New Pal

23 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2006 :  04:47:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit hypchick's Homepage Send hypchick a Private Message
That's right Linda! It's a very Zen notion that only God is perfect, and for man to "assume" perfection that is quite erroneous. So, to maintain humility a work of art must absolutely have an imperfection built into it. Considering that oriental art can be extremely intricate and an artist may have spent years or even generations (of a family), executing a piece, ...this is incredible. I spent a huge amount of time reworking my shrug when I got to the final sleeve. I thought I would never finish! I went off on my own with the yarns, and I have to hand it to Jane for the beautiful way she evolves color and texture through each vignette. I guess I am have a "Jane addiction" now, as I don't miss a day studying her website as I grow my knitting skills.

I was about to knit another shrug in some yarns I was thinking of for the Indonesian scarf, but I decided that I enough to knit a shrug, and I might as well pull some other yarns for a scarf. I am "loosely" following the pattern for the scarf in colors I never wear. Shades of pale: pinks, brown and grey, and more strips of fabric! This time I pulled some silk I have had for probably thirty years! OMG! ...Am I a pack rat?!!! The silk is shimmering squares of pale pink, lavendar, slate blue, beige and coral that result from the weave, so they blend beautifully. I don't know how, but the scarf got a crook in it! I keep tugging at it, but it's still there. I'd like to know how it got there, but I just plan to hang some yarn off the edge and some beads, and no one will ever see the shape for the pretties.

A question for you Jane: I am still debating about the Scotian Meadow. My mind keeps telling me that perhaps I could adapt it with sleeves and side seams somehow, and then I quickly tell it "If you really knew how to knit (design) you could!" ...S-i-g-h, it's always worked that way! Beyond this though, I am wondering about the pattern. Do you think it would throw a beggining knitter into a totallly un-Zenlike experience?

Waiting on your word, Sensei...
Mardx
Go to Top of Page

Tangled Jane
Seriously Hooked

Canada
750 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2006 :  09:53:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tangled Jane's Homepage Send Tangled Jane a Private Message
Mardi, I know Scotian Meadow is just begging to have sleeves; it told me that from the start so I'm planning on giving it wants eventually. The way to do it, I believe, is to think shrug but knit wrap. If the two ends of the wrap widen enough, you can make shrug-like sleeves but the trick is to keep the fall in the back rather than catching it up blouson-style a la wrap. That will probably mean knitting it in three pieces. Meanwhile, I encourage you to experiment and see what happens. You certainly have the free-ranging spirit; I bet you could do it!

As for imperfection, your references to Zen reminded me of how Japanese artists often deliberately make an error in their work believing as they do that to create true perfection is an offense to higher powers. Perfection, in other words, is the domain of the Divine.

There. That's getting way too heavey. Besides, Confusious say 'one never steps into same river twice'. That said, I'm going swimming!

Jane
Go to Top of Page

hypchick
New Pal

23 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2006 :  2:14:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit hypchick's Homepage Send hypchick a Private Message
Thanks Jane! I do believe it can be done also. Something like a little extra "ranging" might give the hint of a sleeve. I might have to cut it out in muslin first, or better yet, something stretchy, to play with the shape. I did another shrug, that was knit as two rectangles. One for the body that had the sleeves sewn together, and another narrower one for a ring shape that was sewn in all around the sides of the circle which was left (in the body) to form the collar and fronts and back bottom. ...Or, maybe I will just wait to see what you do with it! I have been learning so much from you and it's all been good fun.

p.s. ...lucky you! I don't even own a swimsuit any more, not since the mirror said: "Please, spare me!" one day.

Mardi
Go to Top of Page

Tangled Jane
Seriously Hooked

Canada
750 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2006 :  01:20:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tangled Jane's Homepage Send Tangled Jane a Private Message
Mardi, I have a rectangle shrug on the menu for fall, too. It's amazing what you can do with one shape.
Speaking of shapes, I try not to scare the fish when I go swimming but, luckily, wherever there are large sea mammals sighted, I blend right in...
Go to Top of Page

hypchick
New Pal

23 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2006 :  04:16:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit hypchick's Homepage Send hypchick a Private Message
As always, your groupies are eagerly waiting! ...And as for the free-ranger scarf, I gave in and frogged the last 6 inches to where the "bent elbow" look started. Watching carefully, I saw nothing amiss. H-m-m-m... Anyway, as I started again, I noticed that there was another bend forming. I think part of it may have been the bulk and character of the yarn. I knit in for 2 stitches, then left a tail. I tried changing tactics, and got rid of the bend. However, now that I am several inches beyond that point, I can see a slight tendency for that yarn vignette to skew off at an angle, just like fabric that needs to be straightened! Any comments to help me understand this weird yarn behavior will be appreciated! I am not sure what the yarn is, ...I bought it as an "end" from ArtFibers, and it had no label. I suspect its a synthetic, a ribbon type and has a translucent quality, really quite beautiful. Also, I was doing the YO-K2 together pattern.

Mardi
Go to Top of Page

Tangled Jane
Seriously Hooked

Canada
750 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2006 :  1:01:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tangled Jane's Homepage Send Tangled Jane a Private Message
Mardi, it's the yo-k2 together sequence combined with the yarn that's doing the twisted sister thing. You can offset this by alternating a two-row sequence of yok2to's with a two-row sequence of garter stitch or alternate you yarnovers so that you're not yarnovering the same set of stitches at exactly the same place (knit the first 2 stitches of the begin and end of each row instead of just one and go back to one on the next right-side row.

Does that make sense? Jane
Go to Top of Page

hypchick
New Pal

23 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2006 :  1:58:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit hypchick's Homepage Send hypchick a Private Message
LOL ...I think all the YO's just strangled my brain, but I will think it through slowly and I am sure I will get it. Thanks Jane!
Go to Top of Page

lford
Chatty Knitter

USA
143 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2006 :  7:20:26 PM  Show Profile Send lford a Private Message
I hate to admit that fear kept me from sewing the sleeve seams on my shrug -- all those pesky ends! Today I conquered my fear and sewed those seams. They don't look perfect which reinforces my goal to NOT strive for perfection. Tomorrow I should finish the top and bottom edges.

I tried the shrug on after sewing the sleeve seams and it drapes beautifully. I'll be sending a picture to you, Jane, as soon as its completed.

Linda
Go to Top of Page

Tangled Jane
Seriously Hooked

Canada
750 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2006 :  1:31:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tangled Jane's Homepage Send Tangled Jane a Private Message
I'm looking forward to it, Linda! Jane
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.82 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.