Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Reader's Corner
 What are you reading now?
 Need a new series... recommendations?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

knits_for_preemies
Permanent Resident

USA
1957 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2005 :  04:54:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit knits_for_preemies's Homepage Send knits_for_preemies a Private Message
Amazing! This thread has been fun to read through. We are all so passionate about what we like--that's the beauty of it.

Of course, I have to put my two cents worth in, too.

AS TIME GOES BY by Michael Walsh (1998 Time Warner Books, Inc.)

It is a WONDERFUL sequel to CASABLANCA. So maybe it would fit into your request in a way.

I'd recommend it anyway, regardless. I've read this book about 4 times (all 417 pages--I rarely reread any book, unless I absolutely don't have another book in hand--but this one is just different.)Mmmmmm--think I'll read it again, now.

It picks us just as Humphrey Bogart (Rick) and the little French policeman are walking away in the foggy night as the plane drones away in the distance. In a couple of paragraphs, you are hooked.

It answers some of the mystery of the Rick character's background. What is an American doing in Casablanca anyway? and it also tells more about Ilsa (Ingrid Bergman character)-- then goes forward in the story with much suspense and more as the characters progress in time.

Give it a try, even if it may be hard to find. It's great!

Barbara
Go to Top of Page

KL
Permanent Resident

6041 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2005 :  07:56:37 AM  Show Profile Send KL a Private Message
Off the Series topic but I just had to share a wonderful book with you all.
THE POWER OF ONE by Courtney[I think - I passed it on to someone else]. It is narrated by a white South African boy starting at age 6 and going up to his entrance at Oxford.
It is beautifully written, spiritual in a different way, absorbing charactars,all set in a background of post World War 11.
It discusses and brings to light the often not understood differences of Apartaid between the Boers, the English and sadly, lastly the Afrikaneers[sp?] in a country ruled by and for whites who are obviously the minority.
Don't let the sub-theme of Boxing through you off- it's riveting.
It truely is one of the more thought provoking, enjoyable and beautifully written that I have read in a long time. KL
Go to Top of Page

Chayah
Permanent Resident

1927 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2005 :  07:22:48 AM  Show Profile Send Chayah a Private Message
I have been enjoying the Rachel and Dash mystery series-- by Carol Lea Benjamin. The books are set in Greenwich Village and feature Rachel and her partner Dash who is a beautiful dog. I think I originally read about them here. There are several in the series, I particularly enjoyed The Wrong Dog , and I just finished Dash, P.I. Lots of New York atmosphere and good characters too. Enjoy, and Happy New Year to all,
Chayah
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.48 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.