Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Things we do Besides Knitting
 Recipe Swap
 Thanksgiving - vegetarian sides
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2005 :  1:17:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message
Moxie--I've never understood the concern about where protein comes from. What do cows eat? Grass. OK, and they're still getting protein and iron and everything we're supposed to get from eating them.

Amanda

"Is that my Not-Mine Sweater? Whoever gets that Not-Mine Sweater is very lucky."
Go to Top of Page

MMario
Permanent Resident

2208 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2005 :  1:20:42 PM  Show Profile Send MMario a Private Message
yes - but cows can digest a number of things that people cannot - not to mention the sheer QUANTITY of food cows eat in a day. And - guess what is the most common dietary deficiency in beef and dairy cattle? right! protien!

MMario - I don't live in the 21st century - but I play a character who does.
Go to Top of Page

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2005 :  1:26:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message
MMario, if you ate enough potato flour to sustain your weight, you'd be getting enough protein. People need WAY less protein than they think.

And another interesting thing--the countries where people consume the most dairy products are the countries with the highest rate of osteoperosis (sp?). Excess protein (common in the excess dairy countries) leaches calcium from your bones. Protein is not the end-all be-all that people make it out to be.

And it wouldn't surprise me that beef and dairy cattle are deficient in protein--they're eating whatever the heck the cattle industry can throw in front of them for the cheapest amount of money available.

I actually intended my post as a joke--my grandmother is vegan and a registered dietician or nutritionist (whichever one actually has regulation and requires college). Whenever people ask her where she gets protein from, she says, "The same place a cow does." If cows are so protein-deficient, maybe they need to start eating each other.

I haven't had meat in years, beef in over 10, and every time I go donate blood I'm told that I must eat a lot of meat because my "blood sinks like a stone." Yeah, meat, that's the ticket.

Amanda

"Is that my Not-Mine Sweater? Whoever gets that Not-Mine Sweater is very lucky."
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2005 :  3:27:46 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
ROFL

When did a mushroom deserve stars???????????? We weren't using bad language. All stars were added by the computer program.

I do love the "s**take happens" line, though and will remember it.

fran

http://www.geocities.com/martian_mischief/
Go to Top of Page

chellethinques
Permanent Resident

USA
1431 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2005 :  6:28:26 PM  Show Profile Send chellethinques a Private Message
Anyone wanting a literal FEAST of yummy sounding vegetarian holiday dishes - go find the current issue of Cooking Light magazine! OMG! There is one whole column called "Inspired Vegetarian" that has a meatless holiday menu, plus I counted several dozen vegetarian dishes in other articles, plus several more dozen that maybe had cheese, eggs, or could be veggie if you subbed vegetable stock for chicken stock, or eliminated the bacon. I had to quit using sticky notes to mark recipes I wanted to try, as there were stickies on every other page. :)
(Not affiliated, yada yada, just a girl who loves to cook, eat, and is what DH calls a "reformed vegetarian!)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?