Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Knitting for Babies and Children
 What should I make for a first time mom?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

mtdortiz@hotmail.com
New Pal

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2006 :  4:11:29 PM  Show Profile Send mtdortiz@hotmail.com a Private Message
I have made some knitted stuffed animals for babies. Teddy bears and even dinosaurs. You might want to try something like that. Family Circle Easy Knits for Babies has some great patterns.
Maria
Go to Top of Page

SheBer
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
421 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2006 :  5:31:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit SheBer's Homepage Send SheBer a Private Message
One of the gifts I loved most when our son was born was a soft white baby blanket that one of my MIL's friends knit for us. I was in my extended "away from knitting for two decades" phase, so it wasn't even that I was a knitter and was loving a knitted gift! It was just that it was the perfect small size and beautiful. We used it all the time and I tucked it away for grandchildren some day. So don't give up on a blanket too quickly. I also think a knitted toy would be wonderful. And the washcloths. And the mitts. And ... well, you certainly have a lot of knitting ahead of you, don't you?

Sheri
www.theloopyewe.com
www.theloopyewe.com/sheri/ (blog)
Go to Top of Page

llinn
honorary angel

USA
1650 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2006 :  6:21:01 PM  Show Profile Send llinn a Private Message
One of the most popular ideas I ever had and passed around was to knit a toy and to use a terry type cotton yarn. Really simply flat shapes and then stuff the toy with sut up and crumpled plastic bags. Fun fur would work equally well or maybe a nice chenille. This gives interesting textures for the baby's hands to explore and the crumpled up plastic bags (especially the strange papery kind) makes interesting crackling noises when squeezed. I don't remember who I did it for, but I knit someone a set of blocks in different yarns, a different texture for each side and a little bag to carry them in. That was really successful.

Llinn
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.33 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.