Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Spinner Central
 Spinning Techniques
 Wool/yarn comes apart while spinning.
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Valk_scot
Permanent Resident

United Kingdom
1281 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  12:38:15 PM  Show Profile Send Valk_scot a Private Message
If you`re spinning really finely and you feel that even with adjustment the take-up is too fierce, you can try lacing the yarn across the flyer hooks. Basically just cross it in a zig zag fashion from a hook on one side of the flyer to the other a couple of times before letting it wind in from a hook as normal. This is recommended technique on the older Louets when spinning laceweight, which had very strong take ups but no laceweight fliers availible at that time. Big article about in the 1994 winter edition of Spin-Off!

The other thing that was recommended was not to spin directly into the oriface, if that`s what you are doing but a liitle to one side so that the yarn is supported by the oriface side as it pulls in. Otherwise the yarn can flutter, apparently, and this can break it.

Finally, my recommendation is to put this fibre aside and spin something else for a while. You just might be getting too hung up and tense, though frankly I don`t feel that breaking the yarn every ten minutes or so is really that big a deal!

Val.

[img]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/26/26_9_21.gif[/img]
Go to Top of Page

flutebabe
Seriously Hooked

968 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  12:46:31 PM  Show Profile Send flutebabe a Private Message
"I don`t feel that breaking the yarn every ten minutes or so is really that big a deal!"

Well, I guess it isn't, but it is just such a pain in the hindquarters to rethread the single through the hook, the other thingy/guide, and then the oriface.

;)
Go to Top of Page

Valk_scot
Permanent Resident

United Kingdom
1281 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  3:02:41 PM  Show Profile Send Valk_scot a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by flutebabe

"I don`t feel that breaking the yarn every ten minutes or so is really that big a deal!"

Well, I guess it isn't, but it is just such a pain in the hindquarters to rethread the single through the hook, the other thingy/guide, and then the oriface.

;)

I didn`t mean to sound critical, really! It just struck me that you were running your spinning abilities down and really agonising over your "bad" spinning, when in fact you`ve been spinning laceweight for a straight 9 minutes 59 seconds without breaking the yarn, which is pretty good!

Val.

Go to Top of Page

flutebabe
Seriously Hooked

968 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  3:55:48 PM  Show Profile Send flutebabe a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Valk_scot

quote:
Originally posted by flutebabe

;)

I didn`t mean to sound critical, really! It just struck me that you were running your spinning abilities down and really agonising over your "bad" spinning, when in fact you`ve been spinning laceweight for a straight 9 minutes 59 seconds without breaking the yarn, which is pretty good!

Val.

I didn't take it "critical." :) However, I just hate having to re-thread the dang thing each time. Maybe some herbal tea will help me out. ;)

On the other hand, do other people have stuff break? Does your single break often? Is this normal? Well, "normal."
Go to Top of Page

Valk_scot
Permanent Resident

United Kingdom
1281 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  4:59:54 PM  Show Profile Send Valk_scot a Private Message
Well, it happens now and again, yes. I`ve never really paid much attention...I just pick up the orifice hook and get it going again. Mind you my Louet has an oriface that I can stick my small finger through, so it really does just take a second or two to rethread, even if I`ve mislaid the hook. And I always break off my fibre and wind the trailing end up onto thew bobbin when I stop for the day, because of my fiddle-fingered four year old. So I have to rethread it the next day.

So yes I think the yarn breaking now and again is perfectly normal. Fibre varies within the rolag, you get distracted by a good bit on the TV, your fingers just open a fraction too wide....pop, there it goes! Part of a spinner`s life!

Val.

Go to Top of Page

flutebabe
Seriously Hooked

968 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  7:08:03 PM  Show Profile Send flutebabe a Private Message
Well, I put the drive band on the smallest diameter gear thingy and loosened the tension. It helped 200%. I'm still breaking the single occasionally, but not NEARLY as often. THANK YOU ALL for your patience and help.
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  7:22:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
Whew! Glad it's helping out!

Keep going - you'll get the feel of things!

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.86 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.