Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Tool Talk
 Needles
 Knitting Needle Policy at LYS
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

metromaples
Seriously Hooked

USA
878 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2005 :  3:52:02 PM  Show Profile Send metromaples a Private Message
Can you tell us the ID of the ebay seller in Hong Kong? There is one that I found that used to have Addis regularly and now they don't.

Jeri
Go to Top of Page

Savitar
Chatty Knitter

311 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2005 :  4:26:56 PM  Show Profile Send Savitar a Private Message
The seller's ID is jeff_wonderland. He was off for a while, but has selling again. Prices went up, and most needles are "buy it now" but they still are about half price. Shipping per needle is about $1.50 I think.
Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2005 :  9:00:41 PM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message
I would never return needles anyway, because even if they were not right for this project they will be for another one down the road. I guess I stash needles also.

Anita
My completed projects

and here

Go to Top of Page

lyndyn@yahoo.com

USA
Posted - 12/06/2005 :  09:42:55 AM  Show Profile Send lyndyn@yahoo.com a Private Message
I guess that I can see it from both sides. So many small businesses (and most LYS are this) operate with a pretty narrow margin of survive or perish and every penny counts. At the same time, building good will with customers is of no insignificant value and once lost is very hard to regain. I try to support my LYS as much as possible, but, honestly yarn/knitting stuff is a smaller sideline for the quilting side of the store. They have a lot of different yarns - but often only two or three skeins of each! And, often these are of different dye lots. What I end up doing is buying yarn somewhere else, but I try to buy books, notions and needles from them and take classes when I can there. Their return policy is very liberal with anything other than books and patters - which I think is fair. Needles are not a problem.

I do try to do what business I can there because I figure that it shows there is an interest in knitting in the hopes that they will increase their knitting real estate in the store.
Go to Top of Page

LesleyKnits
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  7:31:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit LesleyKnits's Homepage Send LesleyKnits a Private Message
My LYS has a no exchange/no return policy for their knitting needles. On the other hand they do allow returns for "insurance" yarn i.e. a full skein or ball that you ended up not needing.

I have a blog! http://honeybeeknits.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ScubaQueen
Seriously Hooked

USA
883 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  08:56:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit ScubaQueen's Homepage Send ScubaQueen a Private Message
I don't even know what my LYS policy is (because I'm too lazy to return anything). So I just pulled out a receipt and they have a custom stamp that they stamp my receipts with that says: ALL SALES FINAL! Please ask about yarn layaway.

Even so...I'd be willing to bet money that if I really needed to exchange a needle they would probably allow an across the board exchange. I like my LYS and shop there frequently....they just seem like the type to "bend the rules" if appropriate, i.e., a regular customer who has NEVER attempted to retun/exchange anything. If not...no big deal...in my mind I can never have too many needles.

Now about that Layway thing!! Wow I didn't even see that before...I can put yarn on Layaway surely this is going to get me in trouble.

Wendy

Somewhere in Texas there's a village missing its idiot!
My blog and other such nonsense... 2 Wet Fins
Go to Top of Page

GailnCocoaBeach
New Pal

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2005 :  06:46:40 AM  Show Profile Send GailnCocoaBeach a Private Message
I am an LYSo, and while we push the 'all sales final' line, if you were to call within a day of noticing you had picked the wrong needles and you had been a polite customer, I would have told you to come right back and we'd make the exchange.
Had a lady from Tennessee once fedex me back 2 pairs of Addi's with a nice note and a $20 bill. It had only been 4 days since she had been in... (She was in Cococa Beach on holiday). I exchanged out the needles for her and FedExed them back with her 20. Had she have waited a month, don't think I would have.

Had another woman, (local), try to return needles she had purchased from another shop ages ago. I new they weren't from our store because they had the other shop's label on the back. I tried to be nice about it, but I wouldn't take them. About a week later she came back wanting to exchange a ball of 'fun fur' from Wal Mart. I wouldn't take that either.

Moral here I guess, if you are honest and attempting your exchange/return in an immediate time frame, I think the rules will bend.

Welcome to my Happy Little World
Go to Top of Page

Parrot Girl
Permanent Resident

2129 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2005 :  2:33:57 PM  Show Profile Send Parrot Girl a Private Message
About three years ago when I was just rediscovering knitting I accidentally bought two of the same size and the LYS would not take one back, and were not nice about it. Since that time I've found that my other LYS is quite nice about it if it's within a reasonable time, and also encourages you to buy one skein of yarn more than you need and they'll take it back. Guess where I shop?

"The past does not equal the future"

The other Fran in Kansas City
Go to Top of Page

HoJo
Permanent Resident

USA
1474 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2005 :  11:36:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit HoJo's Homepage Send HoJo a Private Message
We instituted a no return policy after we saw a customer buy the needles, walk out to her car (HELLO, WE CAN SEE YOU), finish her project, put them back in the packaging, tape the packaging (yep, she had tape in her purse), then walk back in and say they were the wrong size.

Yes, it was only 15 minutes, but she used them.
And we've have more than a few (remember we've only been open since 10/31) customers ask us, if they can just buy them to finish a quick thing and then return them.

Since there is no way we can tell the difference between the honest mistake and the abuser, we've instituted a no return policy, no exceptions unless the needles are damaged.

We also are sure to tell people that the needles are not returnable and give them a small needle reminder form that they can fill out and carry in their wallets so that they can keep track of what needles they have.

HoJo

Our estore: www.fullthreadahead.com
Yarn for the mind, body, and soul

My blog: www.fullthreadahead.com/blog
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.66 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000