Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: An Irish twist on yarn from Black Water Abbey
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Embarrassing habits when admiring yarn
 Sniffers Anonymous
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

KnittnChick
New Pal

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2005 :  08:55:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit KnittnChick's Homepage Send KnittnChick a Private Message
I'm so glad I'm not alone! Thanks for all of your support :D

I swear! I'm only going to look at the yarn this time.

http://knittnchick.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

LaurieAdlerAnderson
New Pal

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2005 :  12:07:36 PM  Show Profile Send LaurieAdlerAnderson a Private Message
Yes! Yes! A thousand times yes! Who cares what others think of our sensory experiences in touching/sniffing/seeing yarns? As long as we don't have long ribbons of mucus from colds (yuck!][blush] or drool (from hunger!?) dripping on our yarns, we should proudly indulge--we have, after all, the artistic temperment, the good taste (no pun intended) to consider no day complete without a little beauty entering therein! And besides, sniffing yarn has got to be better than sniffing glue or spray paint! (not that I ever tried either!)[:00]
Knit on, dear sisters and brothers, in peace and harmony--Laurie.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle--Philo
Go to Top of Page

Marianne W
New Pal

7 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2005 :  12:47:19 PM  Show Profile Send Marianne W a Private Message
It had never occurred to me to sniff the yarn, but now I've started doing it because it does make sense not to want to work on smelly yarn. One LYS smells like a litterbox/ashtray and I am pretty desperate when I drag myself in there. I usually dash in and out with non-yarn purchases.

I always furtively rub the yarn on my neck to make sure it's not too scratchy--I HATE scratchy yarn for anything.
Go to Top of Page

wannaknit
New Pal

21 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2005 :  11:56:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit wannaknit's Homepage Send wannaknit a Private Message
I never thought to sniff new yarn, hadn't noticed any unpleasant smells yet when knitting so far, but I still am a pretty new knitter. But had an experience with some yarn I bought at an auction...... got it home and it STUNK like smoke, very strong, definitely not from a smoke free home![crazy] So I had the bright idea to wash the yarn. I put all 5 skeins in a pillowcase ( it works for stuffed animals, right?) I had this picture in my head that the skeins would come out all pretty and intact and stink free in the pillowcase.......WRONG.....it was a huge twisted mass of stringy yarn!!!! Then I couldn't believe I actually did that!!!!!!!
Needless to say now I smell all yarn from yard sales, auctions, etc. Now I can start smelling at the LYS too, COOL!!!!!
Vicky
Go to Top of Page

Imknittin
Chatty Knitter

USA
171 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2005 :  12:39:13 PM  Show Profile Send Imknittin a Private Message
Vicky that's funny about washing it in a pillow case, sounds like something I would have tried! Thanks for saving me!
quote:
Originally posted by wannaknit

I never thought to sniff new yarn, hadn't noticed any unpleasant smells yet when knitting so far, but I still am a pretty new knitter. But had an experience with some yarn I bought at an auction...... got it home and it STUNK like smoke, very strong, definitely not from a smoke free home![crazy] So I had the bright idea to wash the yarn. I put all 5 skeins in a pillowcase ( it works for stuffed animals, right?) I had this picture in my head that the skeins would come out all pretty and intact and stink free in the pillowcase.......WRONG.....it was a huge twisted mass of stringy yarn!!!! Then I couldn't believe I actually did that!!!!!!!
Needless to say now I smell all yarn from yard sales, auctions, etc. Now I can start smelling at the LYS too, COOL!!!!!
Vicky

Angie
Go to Top of Page

DonnaD
New Pal

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2005 :  1:28:20 PM  Show Profile Send DonnaD a Private Message
The wonderful thing about knitting is that it allows us to indulge in the sensous nature of touch and smell. I teach and some of my students have autism. Sensory issues are extremely important and some children are highly sensitive to the feel of their clothing. Some are hyper sensitive and need to touch a variety of things to lessen their anxiety. We keep a 'fidget bag" of items to feel for this purpose. Odd balls of wool would be wonderful for these children to feel and smell. We also keep a book of all those perfume tabs that come in magazines to fufil the need for sniffing. Balls of wool would do the same trick. By doing this, one of our students stopped going up to people and sniffing them. She still needed the sesory input, but gets it in a more appropriate manner.

Donna
Go to Top of Page

woolwoman
Warming Up

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2005 :  2:58:29 PM  Show Profile Send woolwoman a Private Message
I once returned some 100% silk to my LYS and the owner was so insulted - "that is the way silk smells" she said - I just said OK fine but I don't like it! Plus not all 100% silk seems like that - I have purchased the Fiesta La Luz and it is fabulous and doesn't smell peculiar like the other one did. Oh well - different stokes for different folks!
Go to Top of Page

Knitser
New Pal

7 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2005 :  2:53:53 PM  Show Profile Send Knitser a Private Message
Yup, I am definitely a sniffer if it is wool....love the lanolin but you need to check for a sheepy-smell if is it farm spun---sometimes it stll smells like the barn. The real hidden disaster is cheap silk mixed with wool--that smells nasty when you get warm in that garment.
Go to Top of Page

danspun
Chatty Knitter

101 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2005 :  6:39:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit danspun's Homepage Send danspun a Private Message
Yes, I too am a sniffer. There is one particular scent that I know is in some detergent (not like Eucalan, but close) that I have found in several different yarns (smaller batch companies - usually handdyed or spun). I could bury my nose in there for days. Interestingly most of that yarn is Canadian, and I would love to find out what it is for my own use (like I mentioned before, I use Eucalan, but it's a slightly different smell, but that slight difference is quite a difference and I love it).

I also like the clean, but sheepy smell of good wool.

Treat the senses, I say

My blog:
http://www.sattler-reimer.com/spinknit/bBlog

My shop:
http://www.sattler-reimer.com
Go to Top of Page

knittingdoc
Warming Up

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2005 :  5:25:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit knittingdoc's Homepage  Send knittingdoc a Yahoo! Message Send knittingdoc a Private Message
I also sniff yarns. I only started this recently. I purchased yarn at a craft show and the hanks had the most lovely scent. Not quite Eucalan, but lavendery. It also had the lanolin feel to it. I spent many days just holding the yarn before I knit it into warm socks. Since then, I've been sniffing. I'm glad I'm not the only one.
Mary
Go to Top of Page

rsisland
New Pal

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2005 :  10:21:43 AM  Show Profile Send rsisland a Private Message
I usually have my six year old son with me whenever I am out shopping. He likes to help pick out the colors. When we were at Walmart yesterday and not rushing around we spent a few minutes looking at all the yummy colors of yarn. He told me that I can finally teach him to knit today!! As I was looking for some blue and green for projects, he started sniffing the yarn! I thought he was nuts. After seeing this thread, I guess he is just meant to be a knitter!! That's 2 out of 3 kids.

http://www.thefloridabrats.blogspot.com/
http://www.rsislandcrafts.etsy.com/
Go to Top of Page

crazy-co-knitter
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2005 :  12:29:41 PM  Show Profile Send crazy-co-knitter a Private Message
I love the smell of silk, myself. [I love dyeing silk, but haven't had the opportunity to dye silk yarn.] It's the way that I know it's silk. :)

And thankfully, I like the smell of wet wool [as I've been dyeing yarn lately], although the smell of dry wool is nice, too. I don't typically sniff, though, unless it's silk.
Go to Top of Page

KCShaw
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
393 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2005 :  09:03:17 AM  Show Profile Send KCShaw a Private Message
I too am a sniffer. I search for the lanolin smell which I love! I cuddle it with my fingers and play with the strands. Sometimes twisting a few together. I like squishing the balls of yarn to feel the softness. If i like it, I search for something to put with it, twisting those two together and thinking about them made up together, then I put them back.
Go to Top of Page

LearnedInGirlScouts
New Pal

9 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2005 :  09:57:42 AM  Show Profile Send LearnedInGirlScouts a Private Message
I too am a sniffer. Good to find out I'm not alone. I bought every skein I could find of Di.Ve' mohair kiss ombre in the store because it just smelled so good. Like a live animal, not dead chemical yarn. And my very favorite knit scarf is my favorite, in part, because it smells warm and alive when I wrap it about my face and neck.
my LYS is non-smoking, thank the knitting goddess. I have a hard enough time with library books that have been in smoky houses. Smoke tainted yarns would make me nuts.
Happy sniffing to all!
Go to Top of Page

Woodlander
New Pal

6 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2005 :  11:32:26 PM  Show Profile Send Woodlander a Private Message
Ok, the FIRST thing I do, before rubbing the yarn all over my face and chest, is SNIFF it. I love the smell of lanolin and just the whole sensual experience of sniffing yarn. I need my blankie...

Jana
Go to Top of Page

jennaknits
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2006 :  4:40:03 PM  Show Profile Send jennaknits a Private Message
I was thinking about this after a visit to a LYS recently, wondering if maybe there's something weird about me for NOT sniffing yarn! Next time I shop, though, I'm definitely trying it.

http://knitdiva.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

jebrem
Warming Up

60 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2006 :  08:06:56 AM  Show Profile Send jebrem a Private Message
Simpleknitter wrote: the vinegar smell of the "mordant"--- on Schaefer yarns turns my stomach. I have sold all that I bought---except one lone skein of sock yarn, Anne, that I couldn't smell it on. why don't they rinse it more?

But for me, I love that slight vinegar scent. Am I the only one? When I was knitting with Schaefer Elaine, I could not stop smelling it. And, Lorna's Laces shepherds worsted and bulky have a similar very slight vinegar scent which I love. At least I think that's what I'm smelling. I must be strange. Oh, well.
Go to Top of Page

schlupfwinkel@myway.com
New Pal

United Kingdom
16 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2006 :  10:32:08 AM  Show Profile Send schlupfwinkel@myway.com a Private Message
I don't sniff yarn as a general rule, but there's one particular yarn which smells SO nice... Sirdar denim ultra, it smells really clean. I got a non-knitting friend to smell it, and even she admitted it smelled great!

Rachel
Go to Top of Page

BrownSugar
New Pal

37 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2006 :  1:05:15 PM  Show Profile Send BrownSugar a Private Message
I'm a sniffer, too . . .

and a squeezer and a rubber. It's more like letting my hand dive in for a luxurious squeeze. Then I rub it on my hands and wrists and between my fingers. Then I smell. The yarn I'm working now has a "clean smell" to it. I've been to people's houses that are really clean that smell like that. I can't really describe it, but it makes the yarn pleasant to work with. Every few rows or so, I stop to sniff.
Go to Top of Page

beh2g
Chatty Knitter

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2006 :  09:13:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit beh2g's Homepage Send beh2g a Private Message
I use Kookaburra wool wash on my yarns and I loe the way it smells. Not chemical at all, just herbal and fresh. (not like Herbal Essences "I should be a perfume" herbal). Maybe that is what you are smelling?? Try calling the company and telling them how much you like the smell, and ask if it's something commercially available!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.52 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?