Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Worst Project Nightmare
 Sock issues
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Old Knitter
Seriously Hooked

USA
790 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2006 :  11:09:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Old Knitter's Homepage Send Old Knitter a Private Message
I hear a lot about knitting socks with two circulars. I have only used DP's. Can anyone give me a quick lesson on using circulars instead? Can it be as easy as putting the heel stitches on circular and the rest on the other?

Holly

www.knittinghaven.com
Float through life with a smile in your heart.
Go to Top of Page

Katheroni
Permanent Resident

USA
1407 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2006 :  11:15:18 AM  Show Profile Send Katheroni a Private Message
I just ripped out an nearly complete Jaywalker yesterday -- I was about 3-4 round from kitchenering the toe!! I'm not a beginner sock knitter, but I just wasn't willing to face the fact that I had made one mistake too many, didn't really enjoy the pattern, didn't want to knit another one, and didn't like that it was kind of hard to get on my foot. I could have ripped earlier and saved lots of time, but I didn't wanna! I like the way the pattern looks but didn't like knitting it so I didn't want to do it again. And I was hoping I wouldn't mind the baggy foot. Or the too-long toe. Or the fact that it was hard to pull over my heel.

I'm generally not a big perfectionist -- especially over socks!! I think that's why I didn't rip earlier. I can live with a lot of "anomalies" with socks. But frankly, I really really like the yarn and want to make socks I will feel like wearing. So, I ripped. It was fun! Ramen! Rip rip rip! Now I have "brand-new" yarn again, waiting for its calling.
Go to Top of Page

Calamintha
Permanent Resident

USA
2886 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2006 :  12:34:33 PM  Show Profile Send Calamintha a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Old Knitter

I hear a lot about knitting socks with two circulars. I have only used DP's. Can anyone give me a quick lesson on using circulars instead? Can it be as easy as putting the heel stitches on circular and the rest on the other?

When you do a sock on 2 circulars, one needle holds the heel stitches and one needle holds the instep stitches. On some patterns the stitches stay that way and it is very easy and straightforward. On other patterns you need to rearrange the stitches once so that one needle holds the right side of the instep and heel and the other needle holds the left side of the instep and heel.

I learned this method from Cat Bordhi's booklet, Socks Soar on Two Circular Needles. It is also explained in the book, Sensational Knitted Socks.
Go to Top of Page

socks4all
Permanent Resident

USA
1461 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2006 :  08:15:45 AM  Show Profile Send socks4all a Private Message
In the 10 years that I've been knitting socks (my first were fair isle on 5 dps) I average 12 pair a year. Several years I've completed 23 pairs. I see nothing wrong with ripping out if you see that the sock won't fit (a good reason to do toe-up, you can try the sock on at all stages) or if you just don't like knitting the pattern or with the current yarn. For socks, I ask myself, will I ever make the 2nd, or will I ever find someone to fit into the sock the way it is. I like the idea of donating single socks to the Veterans homes. It is not just WWII vets who are amputees! I keep a stash of extra pairs of socks for the homeless and also for friends & relatives who are sick. If I can't be with them, holding their hands, I can send something to hold their feet.

Bottom line: don't let anyone else tell you when or if to rip. You have to be satisfied with your work or it is no fun.
Go to Top of Page

RuthE
Warming Up

59 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2006 :  2:52:51 PM  Show Profile Send RuthE a Private Message
For me the appeal of socks is the combination of mindlessness and interesting construction. I like the long stretches of simple repetition in the foot and leg (at least on the socks I do!) for a portable project. But for me it is fun to sit down and figure out the heel and toe as well. I've only done a few pairs of socks, so there's lots more to learn. When you think about it, the foot is a strange shaped body part to try and cover with knitting. So far none of my socks have been perfect, but as long as they are functional and comfortable I don't worry about it.
Go to Top of Page

Dances with Needles
Chatty Knitter

197 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2006 :  2:26:59 PM  Show Profile Send Dances with Needles a Private Message
If it helps to explain whay you are knitting something as mundane as a sock to increadulus non knitters. The explanation I used for years is this. My DH is a diabetic. it is actually dangerous for him to wear socks that have those lumpy seams across the toes, and elastic in the cuff cuts of circulation. A short row heel sock has no seams and no elastic in the cuffs unless you put it there. much better for diabetic feet. Of course now he has no feet at all and so socks are irrelevent. I now knit socks because I am addicted to the fit and to the wonderous colors that you don't get ansy other way. the diabetic explanation goes a long way to closing mouths, and leaving you to peacefully knit on your project.

DWN
Go to Top of Page

mamid
Permanent Resident

Canada
1568 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2006 :  2:45:07 PM  Show Profile  Send mamid a Yahoo! Message Send mamid a Private Message
I've figured out 3/4 of a sock pattern _on my own from the toe up_ and have found only one design flaw - the heel is too square. I've already casted on its mate and plan on having it done in a week or less.

I like the pattern I've come up with and I think I'll do socks that way from now on. :)

The Last Thread
Go to Top of Page

MissSilver
New Pal

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2006 :  7:06:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit MissSilver's Homepage Send MissSilver a Private Message
I had to do an argyle sock a couple of years ago. I've done lots of regular socks, plain, stripes, lace, I could practically do them in my sleep, but that argyle was a trial. I told DH that he'd better not develop a taste for them because he was never going to get another pair. It wasn't the color work per se that got me it was keeping the stitch count right on the narrow crossing lines. I'd get to the middle of the color block where the narrow lines are supposed to cross and they wouldn't and I'd have to frog about an inch to get thing straight. Pooey to argyle socks!
Go to Top of Page

KnittAR
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
575 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2006 :  7:46:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit KnittAR's Homepage Send KnittAR a Private Message
I love to knit socks. They don't have to be perfect, but I like them to look good. I only rip them if they won't fit anyone I know, or if the mistake(s) I made are really obvious. (Like the ones I was doing today) I get a lot of attention for my bright colored hand knit socks from family, and friends. I like attention. I think everyone does, at least a little. I think I like to knit them so much because certain people I know said I couldn't do it, so I went and taught myself from books and the internet. Just to show them!! Haha!

Later....AR
Come visit my blog
Go to Top of Page

Blue Turtle
New Pal

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2006 :  08:47:46 AM  Show Profile Send Blue Turtle a Private Message
I love making socks, because they fit my small feet, they travel well and I like making them for my loved ones! But they must be purfect! Not because I'm bragging or punishing myself but because I know what I want them to be and in this unlike "real life" I can control how they come out. Most things in life you do once and hope you did OK but in knitting you are free to try and try again! I find it comferting and a stress relefe.

Shoot for the moon, even if you miss you'll land among the stars (with a cool pair of socks!)
Go to Top of Page

socks4all
Permanent Resident

USA
1461 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2006 :  12:39:20 PM  Show Profile Send socks4all a Private Message
Dances With Needles: I'm sorry to hear that your husband has lost his feet to diabetes. I have diabetes also and find that my handknit socks are my lifesavers. My toes "tingle" if I am barefoot. It's impossible to sleep with that tingling. Wool socks (I've tried store bought cotton & nylon for diabetics) even in the summer work like a charm. No timgle, lots of sleep. I have small, fat feet so finding socks that fit, let alone with no seams or elastic is not worth the effort. I like the fit, making them, the attention I get when people receive them or see me knitting them, and that fact they can be either complicated or simple depending on my mood.

Back to the topic though, my ratio of rips out to finished is very low...now. I've made so many I have a good feel for size, both mine and my family's. Sometimes a new pattern doesn't go right the first pattern repeat or two. Rip, rip.
Go to Top of Page

Smock7
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
491 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2006 :  05:38:35 AM  Show Profile Send Smock7 a Private Message
I usually don't have a problem with nightmare socks, until now! I'm knitting a pair of socks for a friend that will be here in a couple of weeks. Usually I can knit a pair of socks in one week. The problem? It's everything! I don't like the yarn, some color of Opal. I like to knit two pairs at the same time on two sets of needles. I started the pattern, realized it was too small, my friend is close to 6 ft. tall and needs a larger size sock. She's so sweet, I showed her how I could not get the colors to match (you know, starting at the same place in the color changes) and she said, "I love them, I'm not going to wear them on the same feet so I don't need them to match!" But then, I knit the heels three times....I kept ripping them out because I didn't like the heels so I finally settled on a basic ribbed heel. Then, I was just knitting along one day, not paying attention and knit one heel almost 4" long! It's amazing, I am surprised at the durability of this yarn considering how many times I've ripped! Then I had a mental moment when I was working the gusset on one sock, got almost to the end and kept thinking that it didn't look right....well, I'm embarrassed to say that I forgot to turn the heel! What is the matter with me????? I'm not a newbie here, I've knit dozens of pairs of socks. I think, secretly, its because I do not like this color of yarn or the texture or the pattern on the leg part (the pattern is beautiful but not for this colorway) and all in all, I hate working on the project. But, what's a girl to do? I've already showed it to my friend, so I must finish them! This is painful!

And, I know in my heart, that because I think these are ugly [crazy] socks that I will have to knit her another pair so I won't feel guilty for years! She is one of my best friends and deserves better!

Vanessa

Take each new day as an adventure in life!
Go to Top of Page

Dspen89
Chatty Knitter

330 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2006 :  2:06:54 PM  Show Profile Send Dspen89 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Old Knitter

Holly

www.knittinghaven.com
Float through life with a smile in your heart.

I used Nenah's DvD that I got from Knitpicks, (knitting two socks at once) to learn. I just have an easier time if I can watch someone I guess.

She sounds so much (and kind of looks) like my MIL. It's gives me a chuckle that they could be twins (My mil IS a twin).

There's also a site to read if you have time:
http://www.az.com/~andrade/knit/twocirculars.html

Hope this helps. It's really fun once you get going. I don't have one preference over another except when doing lacy things & y/o's in a small rnd pattern. Then I can ONLY use my two circulars! Thank goodness it's an option.

Dawn

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dawnzknits/
Go to Top of Page

Margie
Permanent Resident

USA
1032 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2006 :  9:57:23 PM  Show Profile Send Margie a Private Message
My DH, too, is diabetic and loves to go around the house w/o shoes. He's asked me to make him more socks. What a compliment. I make 'em for myself too and some just get worn to bed. Others get worn in public.

I like socks -- small, portable, good chance to try new things with several colors (which I love) and, in the end, useful.

Margie
Go to Top of Page

EliotsSocks
Warming Up

71 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2006 :  10:33:41 AM  Show Profile Send EliotsSocks a Private Message
I definitely start a lot more socks than I finish... there are a bunch of lonely single socks at my house... It's so easy to get tempted with a new yarn or a new pattern!

Finishing a new pair is wonderful though. I love seeing them on my feet (both of them!) for the first time!

I teach sock knitting at my LYS, and I'm actually quite surprised that the majority of my students do finish the pair from class!

Happy Knitting!
Go to Top of Page

Emmeknitz
Chatty Knitter

USA
100 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2006 :  12:13:05 PM  Show Profile  Send Emmeknitz a Yahoo! Message Send Emmeknitz a Private Message
It took me a whole year of knitting and ripping before I was finally to get my first pair of socks done that was just a few months ago. I am happy to say that I will be giving lots of socks as Christmas presents this year.
I am however looking for a good basic toe up pattern on 3 or 4 needles...........
Go to Top of Page

ShannonM
Gabber Extraordinaire

352 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2006 :  07:41:30 AM  Show Profile Send ShannonM a Private Message
So I'm not the only one who isn't in love with the famous Jaywalker? It is a cute sock but I couldn't get over the fit problems either. I thought I must be alone.

I'm into socks lately but I've concluded that I don't like doing patterns on socks. I like the fancy colors and self-patterning yarns, but nothing but rounds and rounds of stockinette.

quote:
Originally posted by Katheroni

I just ripped out an nearly complete Jaywalker yesterday -- I was about 3-4 round from kitchenering the toe!! I'm not a beginner sock knitter, but I just wasn't willing to face the fact that I had made one mistake too many, didn't really enjoy the pattern, didn't want to knit another one, and didn't like that it was kind of hard to get on my foot. I could have ripped earlier and saved lots of time, but I didn't wanna! I like the way the pattern looks but didn't like knitting it so I didn't want to do it again. And I was hoping I wouldn't mind the baggy foot. Or the too-long toe. Or the fact that it was hard to pull over my heel.

I'm generally not a big perfectionist -- especially over socks!! I think that's why I didn't rip earlier. I can live with a lot of "anomalies" with socks. But frankly, I really really like the yarn and want to make socks I will feel like wearing. So, I ripped. It was fun! Ramen! Rip rip rip! Now I have "brand-new" yarn again, waiting for its calling.

Shannon
my blog:
http://yarnandchocolate.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

LadySpring
Chatty Knitter

127 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2006 :  4:50:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit LadySpring's Homepage Send LadySpring a Private Message
I knit my first sock about three months ago. It currently sits, lonely, in one of my many knitting bags. I love the yarn and knitting the sock was fun. It's knit from the top down and it was cool to see the sock start to appear from the pattern. Here's the problem (I guess)...It doesn't fit me so I'll be giving them (when there is a "them") to my sister or other small-footed person I know and...I, for some reason, decided to use a three needle bind off on the toe so my sock has this funny little elf-toe thing happening. I need to redo the bind off so it'll look less like it was made like for a dwarf (I mean, my sister is small but she's not a dwarf. She may be part elf, however, because her ears are slightly pointy at the tops.)and more like I made it with a human in mind. As it is my first sock, my ratio of started socks to finished socks is 0 to 1. I have great plans for knitting up more socks because I think they're fun. I can't seem to get the hang of knitting socks on circs though so I think I'll stick to knitting them the old-fashioned way, i.e. on a set of 4 DPNs. Socks, like hopefully everything else you knit, should be fun and enjoyable. When it's not, put it down and walk away until it is fun again.

Knittin' along,
Erika

Knitters know a good yarn or two...
Go to Top of Page

~bananaKnits~
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2006 :  3:34:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit ~bananaKnits~'s Homepage  Send ~bananaKnits~ a Yahoo! Message Send ~bananaKnits~ a Private Message
I have been knitting for many many years, since I'm a little girl. I grew up in Eastern Europe and after the war we just did not have anything to buy in the stores so most of our clothing including socks were hand made. I just posted some pictures on my blog and there is a picture of a pair of gloves my mother saved that I knit when I was a young girl.
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/4860/1168/320/IMG_6555.jpg

I have not knit gloves socks or anything of the sort for many many years and have forgotten how. Recently I decided to knit socks and now I'm hooked! At first it was kind of odd and trying to figure out exactly which method to use, 5 needle, 4 needle, 2 circulars, the magic loop, toe up, top down? Finally I realized the easiest for me is 5 short dp needles and top down. I knit very tight so the two circulars just would not work and the same for the magic loop and I can cast on a lot looser than I can cast off so the top of the sock is "stretchier" (probably not even a word).

I love the mobility.... well take a look at the thread "what do you love most about knitting socks?"
http://www.knittersreview.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=63451

Happy Knitting,

http://bananaknits.blogspot.com/

and my sock blog: http://bananasocks.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.94 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000