Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Current Projects?
 Mosaic Knitting!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2006 :  07:29:39 AM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message
I just placed a hold on the Barbara Walker book from the library. I like the afghan squares because of the size. They are good practice squares and can be used in the end.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2006 :  07:29:39 AM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message
I just placed a hold on the Barbara Walker book from the library. I like the afghan squares because of the size. They are good practice squares and can be used in the end.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

Ingrid_in_Sweden
Chatty Knitter

112 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2006 :  11:46:46 AM  Show Profile Send Ingrid_in_Sweden a Private Message
I love your woo hoos Louisa - makes me smile! Just the same when I discovered it ;-9

Yepps - just THINK of all the sockyarn you can experiment with - the variegated ones. Or artistic handpaints from someone
or..or.....well yes ;-) anything really!
Go to Top of Page

Ingrid_in_Sweden
Chatty Knitter

112 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2006 :  11:46:46 AM  Show Profile Send Ingrid_in_Sweden a Private Message
I love your woo hoos Louisa - makes me smile! Just the same when I discovered it ;-9

Yepps - just THINK of all the sockyarn you can experiment with - the variegated ones. Or artistic handpaints from someone
or..or.....well yes ;-) anything really!
Go to Top of Page

Luann
Permanent Resident

USA
2671 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2006 :  2:01:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Luann's Homepage Send Luann a Private Message
I had the good fortune to learn mosaic knitting from Barbara Walker herself! She did a "farewell tour" a few years back after all her knitting books were back in print. I really enjoy doing it but have felt limited by the thick fabric it makes - it never occurred to me to felt them - thanks for the tip, NaProus!

At the workshop she handed out her last stock of flyers from when she taught MK at JC Penney's in the early 1973! It's one of my treasured knitting artifacts.

Luann

Knit and let knit!
This is not a blog:
http://www.luannocracy.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Luann
Permanent Resident

USA
2671 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2006 :  2:01:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Luann's Homepage Send Luann a Private Message
I had the good fortune to learn mosaic knitting from Barbara Walker herself! She did a "farewell tour" a few years back after all her knitting books were back in print. I really enjoy doing it but have felt limited by the thick fabric it makes - it never occurred to me to felt them - thanks for the tip, NaProus!

At the workshop she handed out her last stock of flyers from when she taught MK at JC Penney's in the early 1973! It's one of my treasured knitting artifacts.

Luann

Knit and let knit!
This is not a blog:
http://www.luannocracy.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

phlame
Permanent Resident

USA
1561 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2006 :  2:44:32 PM  Show Profile Send phlame a Private Message
oh Luann...how fortunate you are. It is something that has always been on my list of things I want to do... just haven't done it yet...maybe I will give it a try now. I have several books, (of course..)

Shirley Ryan, living in Dana Point, CA

...and dance like no one is watching!
Go to Top of Page

phlame
Permanent Resident

USA
1561 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2006 :  2:44:32 PM  Show Profile Send phlame a Private Message
oh Luann...how fortunate you are. It is something that has always been on my list of things I want to do... just haven't done it yet...maybe I will give it a try now. I have several books, (of course..)

Shirley Ryan, living in Dana Point, CA

...and dance like no one is watching!
Go to Top of Page

go get your smock
Chatty Knitter

328 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2006 :  5:43:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit go get your smock's Homepage Send go get your smock a Private Message
And, coincidently, here is a pattern for a felted bag using slip stitches that just came out today in Knitty.

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall06/PATTlittleslip.html

(And I wrote it! )

The thicker fabric lets you use just one strand of yarn but still get a bag firm enough to stand up on its own. But you have to watch that tension!

A starting place while you're waiting for the Barbara Walker book to come from the library (or Amazon!)

Diane in Chicago

Felted Handbag Workshop
Home of the Little Coco Bag
and Felted Millinery Workshop, too!
Go to Top of Page

go get your smock
Chatty Knitter

328 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2006 :  5:43:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit go get your smock's Homepage Send go get your smock a Private Message
And, coincidently, here is a pattern for a felted bag using slip stitches that just came out today in Knitty.

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall06/PATTlittleslip.html

(And I wrote it! )

The thicker fabric lets you use just one strand of yarn but still get a bag firm enough to stand up on its own. But you have to watch that tension!

A starting place while you're waiting for the Barbara Walker book to come from the library (or Amazon!)

Diane in Chicago

Felted Handbag Workshop
Home of the Little Coco Bag
and Felted Millinery Workshop, too!
Go to Top of Page

VickiKK
Seriously Hooked

935 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2006 :  6:29:49 PM  Show Profile Send VickiKK a Private Message
Funny that you should ask. I was thumbing through old knitting magazines last weekend during a period of insomnia. I had been looking for a throw/afghan to knit for me, but nothing was quite it. UNTIL ta dah, in a Family Circle Easy Knitting Holiday 2003 there is a afghan done in mosaic blocks. Yesterday I played around with some yarn trying to figure it out. With CJ's help, I think I've got it down now. Now to find some yarn for the project. Any suggestions???

Vicki near Seattle
Go to Top of Page

VickiKK
Seriously Hooked

935 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2006 :  6:29:49 PM  Show Profile Send VickiKK a Private Message
Funny that you should ask. I was thumbing through old knitting magazines last weekend during a period of insomnia. I had been looking for a throw/afghan to knit for me, but nothing was quite it. UNTIL ta dah, in a Family Circle Easy Knitting Holiday 2003 there is a afghan done in mosaic blocks. Yesterday I played around with some yarn trying to figure it out. With CJ's help, I think I've got it down now. Now to find some yarn for the project. Any suggestions???

Vicki near Seattle
Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2006 :  7:26:50 PM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message
Diane, thanks I have some Lambs Pride so I will give your tote a try. Just printed it out. Good job I love the it. I will do it in blk/red.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2006 :  7:26:50 PM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message
Diane, thanks I have some Lambs Pride so I will give your tote a try. Just printed it out. Good job I love the it. I will do it in blk/red.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

WendyB
Permanent Resident

3262 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2006 :  12:08:18 PM  Show Profile Send WendyB a Private Message
Diane, I have some Lorna's Laces Bullfrogs and Butterflies yarn in the Knit Happens colorway, and plan on making your bag with it and black wool for contrast. I think it will look nice.
Go to Top of Page

WendyB
Permanent Resident

3262 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2006 :  12:08:18 PM  Show Profile Send WendyB a Private Message
Diane, I have some Lorna's Laces Bullfrogs and Butterflies yarn in the Knit Happens colorway, and plan on making your bag with it and black wool for contrast. I think it will look nice.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.7 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?