Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Dream LYS
 JUST BE NICE!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

TheMrsKnits
New Pal

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2005 :  8:36:28 PM  Show Profile Send TheMrsKnits a Private Message
>>I agree that I should give the store the chance to address my concerns before I "bash" them on my blog --although I disagree with the term "bash." >>

>>Sorry but I have to disagree with you. I read her blog and she is not BASHING...she is telling it like it is! Yes, she should let the owner know about the service....>>

Scuba & Lain:

I used the term "bash" to refer to the fictitious derogotory name given to the shop (hyperlinked) in the blog's OP (now changed), not the complaints therein. Hope that clears it up & happy to see the store responded. :)
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2005 :  8:55:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
Very sincere, dignified response, JannaFanna. Well handled.

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page

azknitter
Honorary Angel

5539 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2005 :  10:38:17 PM  Show Profile Send azknitter a Private Message
Wow, you can't ask for more than that! I wish all disputes and slights in business were handled so eloquently.

Trish
Go to Top of Page

The Irish Ewe
Permanent Resident

USA
1052 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2005 :  04:31:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit The Irish Ewe's Homepage Send The Irish Ewe a Private Message
Jan, the next time I have a problem, can I borrow you to speak for me?

(and I hear you on the end-of-the-day part, one of my boys is autistic, and it does just drain you)

The Irish Ewe
Norway, Maine
http://www.TheIrishEwe.com
Go to Top of Page

lauriec
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
424 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2005 :  05:30:25 AM  Show Profile  Send lauriec a Yahoo! Message Send lauriec a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Atavistic

[
I don't know why having kids makes some women lose their hearing but arg.

Let me guess---you dont have kids??

As a SAHM whose husband is deployed (we're in month 8 of 12!) I hear my 17 month old babble constantly. Do I reply everytime? no. Am I a bad mother because of it? No.

I dont mean to call you out but not all mothers who "lose their hearing" are bad (or however you meant it!)

That aside, it IS annoying to hear esp. when it's not your child. Especially in a public place.

As for the LYS situation I would go in one last time friendly as all get out & see what happens. If they are still rude/standoffish then I would write a letter or ask to speak to the owner. If they continue to be rude/standoffish there are plenty of places on & offline to buy yarn & supplies!!

Good luck!

Go to Top of Page

ScubaQueen
Seriously Hooked

USA
883 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2005 :  06:28:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit ScubaQueen's Homepage Send ScubaQueen a Private Message
Glad to see the issue is being resolved. I also believe it was good for Janna to hear about it...it would be a shame if her business declined and she didn't know why??? Now she has the information and can take appropriate action...which will benefit all!

~Wendy

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: "WOW...WHAT A RIDE!!!"

My blog and other such nonsense... 2 Wet Fins
Go to Top of Page

Knit and Purl Grrl
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
414 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2005 :  1:46:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Knit and Purl Grrl's Homepage Send Knit and Purl Grrl a Private Message
Dear Jan-
I think you have just earned a loyal customer for life. I truly appreciate your willingness to respond to my concerns and address them. No gift certificate is necessary - just the fact that you were open to my experiences says a lot to me.
Thank you, thank you. I'll email you at the address you provided, too.
Lain

Lain
Knit & Purl Grrl
visit me at http://knitandpurlgrrl.blogs.com/my_weblog/
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2005 :  04:44:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
Don't forget to update your blog too, Lain!

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2005 :  04:52:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by lauriec
I dont mean to call you out but not all mothers who "lose their hearing" are bad (or however you meant it!)

That aside, it IS annoying to hear esp. when it's not your child. Especially in a public place.

Call me out for what? If you're trying to shame me, it's not going to work. If you are not answering your kid, do it at home. Let your kid talk and talk and talk so you can ignore them at home.

I am childfree; I have 19 children for 7 hours a day for 36 weeks and if I can answer 19 of them and keep on eye on their butts in public (field trips, including out of state ones) then someone who squeezed a kid out of their own bodies should be able to listen to their own kid.

I didn't say those were "bad" parents, but nobody (esp in public) owes you anything just because you have kids.

Amanda

"Is that my Not-Mine Sweater? Whoever gets that Not-Mine Sweater is very lucky."
Go to Top of Page

lauriec
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
424 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2005 :  05:10:23 AM  Show Profile  Send lauriec a Yahoo! Message Send lauriec a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by lauriec

Call me out for what? If you're trying to shame me, it's not going to work. If you are not answering your kid, do it at home. Let your kid talk and talk and talk so you can ignore them at home.

I am childfree; I have 19 children for 7 hours a day for 36 weeks and if I can answer 19 of them and keep on eye on their butts in public (field trips, including out of state ones) then someone who squeezed a kid out of their own bodies should be able to listen to their own kid.

I didn't say those were "bad" parents, but nobody (esp in public) owes you anything just because you have kids.

Amanda

"Is that my Not-Mine Sweater? Whoever gets that Not-Mine Sweater is very lucky."

Amanda~

Let me start off by apologizing. I wasn't attacking you personally for your comment, nor was I trying to shame you.

I do control my soon to be 18 month old & currently am Mom & Dad as hubby's deployed so unless it's a rare occasion that I have a sitter I'm with my daughter 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 52 wks a yr.

I also answer her when she talks & encourage her to talk. I also don't let her touch things when we are in stores/public. I find myself using the old "we look with our eyes, not our hands" line on her all the time.

Bravo for controlling those 19 wee ones! They certainly do keep you on your feet!

Again, I apologize if you were offended by my comment. I was merely trying to offer the mom's perspective on this.

Go to Top of Page

The Irish Ewe
Permanent Resident

USA
1052 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2005 :  05:17:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit The Irish Ewe's Homepage Send The Irish Ewe a Private Message
quote:
I am childfree; I have 19 children for 7 hours a day for 36 weeks

Ah, but have you never heard a parent say how differant a child acts for a daycare/school/teacher? Has to do with security, and feeling safe - a lot of children simply melt when coming home, because they no longer have to be on their best behaviour, and it's a safe place to mentally shut down for a while.

Don't get me wrong, I make sure our teachers and especially the autistic child's workers all know how much we value what they do while our children are in their care, but it is far differant when you're the parent :)

I still like our shop sign, provided by someone here - "Unattended children will be given a puppy." We still have parents from heck, usually screaming loader than their kids, but for the most part, that's a given in any retail store.

I do want to thank those who have posted here. The past two weeks have been horrid for me, having a handicap child means all kinds of terrors that just shouldn' have to happen. A few times, I went to work mad. Not just grumpy, but mad. I would be fuming, and would shut down and surf for a while. And every time, I would see this thread, and even though I was still mad, it was a lot easier to remember that, to my customers, a trip to the yarn shop was a pleasure, even if my day was not. It made it a lot easier to pick up the pieces and go on, at least in some wierd sort of way :)

The Irish Ewe
Norway, Maine
http://www.TheIrishEwe.com
Go to Top of Page

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2005 :  05:39:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message
For my kids, school is their safe place. They melt HERE because most of them are momming and daddying their siblings at home because momma is at work and they've never met daddy. They are fed here. We often provide clothing and bags and books and all of the things that parents should be providing HERE. And the fact is, my 19 kids are not always on their best behavior and 19 preteens are a hot mess even when they are on their best behavior. Half of my girls menstruate at the same time and don't get my started on the boys.

But the point is, it's my choice to teach and nobody owes me anything for it. If it's your choice to parent, so be it, but nobody owes you anything for it.

Amanda

Go to Top of Page

Knit and Purl Grrl
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
414 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2005 :  10:27:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Knit and Purl Grrl's Homepage Send Knit and Purl Grrl a Private Message
Rose, I updated the comment section of the blog but I will add another post to update everyone. And to update you all...

After reading Jan's very gracious reply, I felt guilty for forgetting that there are real people behind the store -- and that people actually read my blog and my messages on these boards. I thought, "Oh my gosh, I can never show my face in that store again!" But then I realized that I needed to return Jan's graciousness with my own attempts to handle the situation graciously. So I picked out a bouquet of fall flowers and took them to the store to meet Jan in person and apologize to her for not giving her the chance to respond to my concerns in private.

Unfortunately, she was not there, so I wrote a long note expressing my regrets and hoping that we could "start anew," so to speak. She phoned me later that evening and left a very friendly message.

This taught me a great deal about speaking my mind -- that while I am *free* to do so, my words impact others and may have repercussions I did not intend. I am so thankful to Jan for handling the whole thing as graciously as she did. That lady has class.

Lain
Knit & Purl Grrl
visit me at http://knitandpurlgrrl.blogs.com/my_weblog/
Go to Top of Page

HoJo
Permanent Resident

USA
1474 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2005 :  4:46:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit HoJo's Homepage Send HoJo a Private Message
Lain and Jan:

Kudos to both of you for handling this extremely well.

Lain, you had the right to express your opinion and how you felt. I wish I had thought to give you the advice to speak to the owner (another one of those slaps on the head, duh, of course you should speak to her) and I hope my customers will speak to me if they see something going on that they are uncomfortable with.

Jan, you responded like the professional that I have seen and heard about. I don't know if you would recognize me, but we've met, I've shopped in your store many times, and we have numerous mutual acquaintances from when I was a member of Beth David, including that wonderful pediatrician Dr. O and his wife, Carol.

In the short time I've been in business and had a blog, I've realized that everything is now public; there is no private and everything that I say and do is subject to scrutiny and mis-interpetation (I recently was the subject of a mis-interpetation myself, so I know how it feels first hand).

I can only hope that any issues that happen when Full Thread Ahead is open (and I'm sure there will be issues), get resolved this amiably and positively for all involved.

HoJo

Our estore: www.fullthreadahead.com
Yarn for the mind, body, and soul

My blog: www.fullthreadahead.com/blog
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.69 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000