Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A new whodunit about a true yarn whisperer
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Things we do Besides Knitting
 Recipe Swap
 Summertime No Oven Recipes
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Chayah
Permanent Resident

1926 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2005 :  12:50:45 PM  Show Profile Send Chayah a Private Message
One of my favorite easy desserts is fresh blueberries and sliced peaches over Banilla yogurt(or sub. your favorite flavor.) C.
Go to Top of Page

Capucine45
Warming Up

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2005 :  7:13:54 PM  Show Profile Send Capucine45 a Private Message
I make my own hummus, which is really easy and tasty. Just drain a can of chickpeas, but save the "juice," and throw them in the blender. I usually add about 2-3 tbsp of the chickpea liquid, about 1/4 cup of lemon juice, a bit of olive oil, and a couple cloves of garlic and whirr it all around until it's smooth. Sometimes it needs a bit more of the liquid, especially if you like soupey-er hummus like I do. Then I throw in some fresh parsley and cumin, and a tablespoon or so of tahini, make sure it's blended well, and refrigerate at least overnight -- it usually tastes best after 2 days, but you can eat it right away if you want. The best thing about it is that it's so easy, you can adjust it to taste, add other flavors, use white beans instead of chickpeas, etc, so there are endless variations and it doesn't get too boring. It's so yummy on pita bread or as a dip for veggies, and I practically live on the stuff (as well as pasta salads and cereal) during the summer.
Go to Top of Page

msgb
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
531 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2005 :  6:20:06 PM  Show Profile Send msgb a Private Message
Ok I just made some gazpacho and some rice krispie treats. Both great for the summer time with out the heat. If you have the counter space perhaps a toaster oven might be a good investment. Trust me, my DH and I weren't sure we wanted one but now wouldn't part with it. The kitchen doesn't heat up in the summer and it keeps the gas bills down in the winter.
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2005 :  6:55:25 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
I adore my toaster oven. Counter space is not an issue if you buy an under the cabinet model. We don't own a toaster because we have the toaster oven, and I might use the regular oven 12 times a year at most.

"An injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Martin Luther King Jr.
www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

chellethinques
Permanent Resident

USA
1431 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2005 :  7:29:57 PM  Show Profile Send chellethinques a Private Message
Earlier in this thread someone asked what kind of beef roast I use for BBQ sandwiches in the crockpot - I have no idea, LOL! We only buy meat that is under $2 a pound at Sam's Club, otherwise it's beans and rice, baby! I would think any cheap cut that is well marbled will work. :)
DH has been "brining" chickens (soak in salt water with onions, brown sugar, pepper corns) then grilling them in the early a.m. We just keep them in the fridge and pick off and chop what is needed for chicken salads. Three favorites:
1. Chicken, halved red grapes, celery, red onion, mayo, almonds.
2. Chicken, julienned red bell pepper, bite size broccolis, shredded cheddar, mayo and salsa whisked together, serve in a wheat tortilla.
3. Chicken, shredded cabbage and carrots and green onion, stir fry briefly with garlic, then add sauce made from 1 T ketchup, 2T soy sauce, 2 t plum jam. (This is SO much better than it sounds!) Again wrap in a tortilla. We told the kids it was Mu Shoo chicken - they eat it and enjoy the goofy name.
Otherwise it's veggies and dip and microwave light popcorn at our house. :)
Ditto the toaster oven! Mini bagel pizzas, toasted pitas, one or two cookies - it's fabulous. Our microwave is on a butcher block cart with a shelf and the toaster oven is on the lower shelf. My 6 year old can make his own toast (using bamboo tongs to remove the toast.) Now, if only he could reach the coffee maker...
Go to Top of Page

pjkite
Permanent Resident

1198 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2005 :  12:11:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit pjkite's Homepage  Send pjkite a Yahoo! Message Send pjkite a Private Message
One of my family's favorites this summer has been any ravioli or tortellini, cooked, and topped with the following sauce:

2 cups heavy cream
1 tablespoon butter
1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper & a dash of hot sauce
salt & pepper to taste

Cook over medium heat until slightly thickened.

I've done this with chicken and mushrooms sauted before I stir together the sauce, and with italian sausage, browned and drained, and with crabmeat and shrimp. All versions have received raves.

Another favorite for really hot days is a cup of cream heated with a 4-oz. container of any sort of pesto, then stir in a little shrimp or crabmeat and serve over any pasta. You're out of the kitchen in less than 20 minutes, including the time it takes to cut up a salad.

Pamela Kite
East Tennessee
http://fiberlife.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Meadra
Chatty Knitter

USA
259 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2005 :  12:47:04 PM  Show Profile Send Meadra a Private Message
Fresh Basil, Tomato And Mozzarella Toss
http://www.thewmurchannel.com/food/3463442/detail.html?treets=man&tml=man_food&ts=T&tmi=man_food_1_12000107082004

It's so yummy! I think it's even better the second day, cold from the fridge.

Christy
Go to Top of Page

azknitter
Honorary Angel

5539 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2005 :  1:40:48 PM  Show Profile Send azknitter a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Meadra

Fresh Basil, Tomato And Mozzarella Toss
http://www.thewmurchannel.com/food/3463442/detail.html?treets=man&tml=man_food&ts=T&tmi=man_food_1_12000107082004

It's so yummy! I think it's even better the second day, cold from the fridge.

Christy

This is one of my all time favorite salads....only in our house we don't toss it....we "arrange" the slices of buffalo mozarella with the freshest slabs of ripe tomato and scatter on the torn basil leaves before we pour on the olive oil, sea salt and freshly crushed black peppercorns.

....and we call it "Insalata Caprese". This is truly the food of the Gods!

http://www.capriflavors.com/recipe_insalata_main.php

Trish
Go to Top of Page

Schaeferyarnlover
Gabber Extraordinaire

513 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2005 :  06:44:20 AM  Show Profile Send Schaeferyarnlover a Private Message
I made the mozzarella salad and a green salad yesterday. I bought a new toaster oven recently and got a larger one just for this season. Thank Goodness the heat has finally broken here in NYC.
Debra
Go to Top of Page

Karknit
Seriously Hooked

USA
711 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2005 :  10:32:42 PM  Show Profile Send Karknit a Private Message
OK this is weird, I was googleing toaster oven recipes and guess what I ended up here at home on KF.
who would have thunk it.

karknit

My diet incentive, to knit smaller sweaters.
Go to Top of Page

homebodyknits
Seriously Hooked

USA
713 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2005 :  03:32:51 AM  Show Profile Send homebodyknits a Private Message
I'm a salad fan. My favorite is sometimes known as a flower pot- lettuce with fruit,poppyseed dressing,some chicken & nuts (cashews or pecans or walnuts). The fruit I like best with it is: strawberries, pineapple, & mandarin oranges. Play around with different combinations to come up with your favorites. Add a roll and enjoy.

Homebody Knits

Go to Top of Page

luv2knit944
Permanent Resident

USA
1789 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2005 :  12:55:57 PM  Show Profile Send luv2knit944 a Private Message
Here's one of the best pineapple pie for you.

1 Pint sour cream
2 pkgs.instant vanilla pudding
1 large can crushed pineapple

Add pudding (do not make pudding)(add from packages)to pineapple(undrained) and mix well.

Add sour cream-mix well

Pour into graham crust(preferably)or reg.crust and chill overnight.

Garnish with fruit or/and cream

(I used orange manderins;pineapple slices or bananas on top of pie.)

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

crzyang
Warming Up

90 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2005 :  10:49:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit crzyang's Homepage Send crzyang a Private Message
BLT (Bacon, lettuce, tomatoe with mayo on toast) sandwiches are always good.

Go to Top of Page

fish
Chatty Knitter

USA
149 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2005 :  2:06:29 PM  Show Profile Send fish a Private Message
If this is a duplicate I apoligize my ISP hiccuped.
Another barbecue suggestion.
Buy sliced or shaved roast beef from the deli section,
Mix with your favorite barbecue sauce, heat, serve on
bun. Works for me.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.78 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000