Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Stash management
 Should I hide the stash or be proud of it?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

celia
Permanent Resident

Australia
2454 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2005 :  3:28:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit celia's Homepage Send celia a Private Message
Amy, I think she probably thought it was perfectly normal - for you! Just as my mum thought it was normal - for me!

celia

My blog is here:
http://celiaknits.blogspot.com
I am destashing here:
http://celias-basket.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kadiddly
Permanent Resident

USA
3076 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2005 :  4:17:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit kadiddly's Homepage  Send kadiddly a Yahoo! Message Send kadiddly a Private Message
I also vote for the wait and let her discover it (if she notices). If she's not a knitter or crafy-type person, she may not even ever pay attention to it! I know I don't generally notice what is in other people's closets, and I certainly wouldn't poke through bins and such! Just say "oh yeah, it's for a project...I can't tell you what or I'd have to kill you!"

You know, my telepathy would work if I had something to READ!
Backstage Stitches
Go to Top of Page

blazfglori
Permanent Resident

USA
1333 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2005 :  4:20:02 PM  Show Profile Send blazfglori a Private Message
LOL!

First off, I would...

"wait for the natural discovery and the inevitable "OMG! You must be kidding!!!"

and then I would...

"hand her some needles and tell her to go to the linen closet and pick out yarn for a project, pretending as though everyone has a yarn closet"

~Lori

Go to Top of Page

twiggyann
Gabber Extraordinaire

427 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2005 :  6:35:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit twiggyann's Homepage Send twiggyann a Private Message
I vote for waiting for her to discover it and mounting a camera that takes pictures when the closet door is open so you can catch the OMG look on film for posterity.

Lesley

Twig's Knitting Blog
Go to Top of Page

Busyhands
Permanent Resident

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2005 :  8:18:23 PM  Show Profile Send Busyhands a Private Message
LOL - I guess I am lucky, I inherited my propensity to stash from my mother! She doesn't blink an eye at the extra bedroom being used as a sewing/yarn storage room...because her quilting supplies take up the spare bedroom, my old bedroom, the hallway, and a healthy chunk of the living room.

But, the linen closet contains...linens. Humph. I should send her a link to this thread!

And for the record, I vote for handing her a stack of towels. If she seems to want an explanation for the closet contents, politely offer to store the yarn in the bathtub until she goes home.

Lin, High Priestess of Liberal Color Usage
"Wearing cheerful, multicolored hats is a public service, easy to perform, and of incalculable value." - Anna Zilboorg
[IMG]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y69/Busyhands/elisaintunnel.jpg[/IMG]
Go to Top of Page

pixie_day
Chatty Knitter

130 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2005 :  2:37:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit pixie_day's Homepage Send pixie_day a Private Message
I'm always grabbing out the latest yarn to show my mom when she comes over!! If she ever got shocked at the size of my stash I would be stunned since my hoarding of yarn is very similar to that of her's with fabric, yarn, books and many other items.
Go to Top of Page

calicokitty6
Seriously Hooked

USA
864 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2005 :  08:49:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit calicokitty6's Homepage Send calicokitty6 a Private Message
I would go with the wait until she discovers it and offer her to choose something for a project as long as you don't have seperation anxiety when letting the yarn go. (I hate to give it away sometimes.)

I have a craft room where I have my yarn, stained glass supplies, and ceramics waiting to be painted. All three stashes are of considerable size. Also several plants and one cat resides in there. My friend, who also does stained glass, came over and did the "Oh my God" about the glass stash. The comment and my reply made for an interesting conversation with my husband later.

=^..^= Debbie [meow] http://calicokitty6.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

KnitKnut
Permanent Resident

USA
1246 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2005 :  11:26:08 AM  Show Profile Send KnitKnut a Private Message
I like the OMG moment. You could go for the gold by compacting all your yarn as tightly as you can, so when she opens the door it pops out like those snakes in cans the kids like (now how immature is that?).
I'd have to keep my stash under lock and key, or it wouldn't be a stash after my mother and her Munchkin sisters left. They fervently believe that whatever I have is theirs, as compensation for all the sage wisdom they've so freely given over the years, and continue to do so whenever not asked (snicker).

Marie from NC
Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2005 :  6:39:08 PM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message
OK you guys all need to read the yarn Harlot's books. In the fist one she talks of the time her daughter and a litle girk frm the neighborhood were playing hiade and seek. The mother of the visiting girl came to pick her up and made a big show of looking for them everywhere. When she finally opened the closet where they were hiding she was struck dumb by the site of a closet packed full of yarn. "What's this?" she asked. YH's daughter explained, "It's one of our yarn closets. You know, where you keep your yarn."

In the second book she has a chapter on creative ways to hide your stash. The woman has yarn inside her piano.

Anita
My completed projects

and here

Go to Top of Page

HeatherM
Chatty Knitter

USA
152 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2005 :  8:00:17 PM  Show Profile Send HeatherM a Private Message
At my store, I used to say that if your yarn stash can't protect you in an earthquake, you don't have enough.

I was once invited to the home of a quilter who had an apartment in an old building in Boston. Her fabric was organized and displayed in a large old-fashioned mahoghany hutch that had glass doors. It was a beautiful addition to the room. We buy yarn because we love how it looks, so let others enjoy it, too!
Go to Top of Page

Margie
Permanent Resident

USA
1032 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2005 :  10:55:28 PM  Show Profile Send Margie a Private Message
Had you thought of saying your stash was a local attraction and in all the latest travel guides?? That people must make reservations months in advance to see it, how lucky she is to be family, etc. etc.

Smile, stash, and enjoy the visit.

Then Lily Chin has a lot of good suggestions on how to hide a stash. The only one I can think of off the top of my head is make more throw pillows -- a dozen or so -- filled with yarn.

Margie

Go to Top of Page

maribelaprn
Permanent Resident

USA
2033 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2005 :  4:39:06 PM  Show Profile Send maribelaprn a Private Message
My DH means well, he's just...um...impaired. I refer to my stash as "my stash". One of the nurses DH works with told me that at their dinner break, DH was talking with a collegue of his who is a psychiatrist, and DH mentioned to that psychiatrist that he wanted to help me manage my "baggage" better. Apparently, DH told him I've got a lot of "baggage" and I'm having trouble with it. I'm expecting either lots of new Rubbermaid totes for Christmas or a trip to the psych ward...

Mari

WIP: Nashua Knitworks Wrap

My blog: http://maribelaprn.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth