Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 What's On Your Knitting Wish List?
 I MADE my wish come true
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

castelfam7625
Chatty Knitter

USA
170 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2006 :  4:46:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit castelfam7625's Homepage Send castelfam7625 a Private Message
I'd love to see it. Obviously from Rose's posting there are quite a few out there, but what a consumer wants depends on their needs and what works best for the majority. I have the last(?) one-the sock pouch and I'm not thrilled with it. Yes, it is convenient for active knitting but not for storage. Admittedly if I used needle protectors it would help, but to store a Sock on DPNs you can't lay it or just put it in the bag, the needles won't lay horizontally. So putting it away requires the needles to be vertical and I've dropped stitches almost every time I put a sock away in that bag. As I said needle protectors would help but I prefer wood needles and I don't like protectors on my wood DPNs. The inner pocket is elastic so its snug but doesn't close all the way. There are some outer pocets to tuck in tape measures or a folded copy of a pattern but again they don't close-just open pockets. It's not intended to be a long term storage bag but I do have to put away my sock after I'm done walking, watching kids' softball, etc. Wish I'd looked at some of the other solutions first. So your bag, Cam, sounds great since it is roomy. Does it close with a drawstring?

Lisa C in Tn
http://knitternavywife.blogspot.com/
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy sh** - what
a ride!"
Go to Top of Page

Just 1 More Row
Chatty Knitter

USA
207 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2006 :  07:14:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Just 1 More Row's Homepage Send Just 1 More Row a Private Message
Your idea is great! I know I would be interested also! I know I need more exercise.....and might get it if I could knit also!!

Laura
Wait 1 more minute while I finish this row.
Go to Top of Page

Margie
Permanent Resident

USA
1032 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2006 :  7:59:07 PM  Show Profile Send Margie a Private Message
I agree about the stories at the bottom of page one. I, too, would love to hear them.

Why not knit on a treadmill?

Maragie
Go to Top of Page

Cam
New Pal

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2006 :  09:36:02 AM  Show Profile Send Cam a Private Message
Sorry to have been away from the forum for a while. I was in charge of running a summer school for middle schoolers, and it finally ended this week. Hurray!! Now I can get on with a little bit of relaxation before I leave for Germany next week.
I walked for an hour with my "Knit 'n Fit" this morning. I got 2.5 inches of ribbing done on a sock. I knit on two circulars, so I don't have the problem of losing the stitches due to putting it back into the bag. I just manage to lose stitches in other ways -- like after a few glasses of wine ;-).
I took the pouch to my knitting group last week, and several people tried it on for size. Even the largest woman could adjust it to fit.
The reasons for my conclusions? Here they are for reference: 1) Don't knit in the rain. The yarn drags too much. 2) Look up occasionally so see if there are any cars parked in the road, so you don't walk right into the back of them. 3) Don't take along a project that you need to consult the pattern on; stuff with straight runs, like cuffs on socks, work best. 4) Use of the "knit walker" is safest in a quiet neighborhood or on a track. 5) Don't knit on a treadmill.

1) The first one has its reason included. 2) The second one is because I almost did walk into parked cars, several times. However, now I just scan down the road periodically to prevent that. 3) I do have room in the pouch for a folded up pattern, and others may be able to follow the pattern while they walk, but I just get lost. To keep track of how many rows before decreasing, when to add shaping, etc., would be too much for me. I need my counter and my pen and notepad to be able to follow the pattern. I just had to rip out the aforementioned sock because I screwed up the heel turn on it. I was too confident even with the pattern next to my elbow to follow it properly! 4) I found myself concentrating so much that if I were walking on a city street, I might just walk into an intersection without looking carefully. If I were walking with others who would look out for me, it would be OK to be in a busier environment, I suppose. 5) The reason for the treadmill thing is that I personally would not be able to do it. I have to concentrate just to open a water bottle with both hands to keep from rolling off the back. I could just see the first dropped stitch, and whoomp! Off the back you go! If someone else is more coordinated, more power to them.

I have some pix, but if this idea is marketable, I probably should not show it. Sorry to be distrusting, but I was talking to someone from my knitting group about the idea, and she warned me not to post it--yet. I did have a link here, but I have removed it. Sorry...

Whatever works for anyone to get more exercise and to knit at the same time--what could be better?? It sure has decreased those critical looks and remarks from my husband when he sees me spending an hour on the couch knitting -- again. He has started with the "good for you" remarks when I return after an hour. The time sure does fly when I am out there! The only "problem" is that I have to keep several projects in the "easy" stage, and not too large, to take with me when I go. But what knitter doesn't have several projects going at once?

Cam
Go to Top of Page

suek137
Chatty Knitter

340 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2006 :  4:51:40 PM  Show Profile Send suek137 a Private Message
Cam,
That is absolutely incredible! And where did you find that fabric??? I think you should be marketing these -:)
Sue
Go to Top of Page

Cam
New Pal

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2006 :  4:55:29 PM  Show Profile Send Cam a Private Message
I got the fabric at Hancock's. Everything came from there. I should go back and get some more before it is all gone.

I would like to market this idea, but doing so is easier said than done. I would have to find a manufacturer and I would really have to keep the costs down. I wouldn't know where to start.

Cam
Go to Top of Page

csutliff
Chatty Knitter

USA
281 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2006 :  02:10:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit csutliff's Homepage Send csutliff a Private Message
very cool idea. I have been trying to knit while in lines and stuff and just knitting out of my purse is a pain and frustrating. Your idea is a timely one. I wouldn't mind getting my soft fluffy butt off the couch too. Can't wait to see it.

Crystal
"Get your Knit On" http://www.freewebs.com/csutliff/
My Yahoo Knit Group!
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/michiganknitters/
Go to Top of Page

ozknitter
Permanent Resident

Australia
3290 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2006 :  4:50:17 PM  Show Profile Send ozknitter a Private Message
Hi Cam,

Good for you!!!

Knit in peace and harmony.

Rose in Melbourne, Australia.
Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2006 :  05:46:04 AM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message
I agree about the treadmill. I don't know what it is but I have a hard time opening water when I on it. Why? I watch people read on the treadmill but I can't. Needless to say, I really don't like walking on the treadmill.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

tiennie
Warming Up

USA
70 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2006 :  9:32:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit tiennie's Homepage Send tiennie a Private Message
That's what I call multitasking! Glad it's working for you!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.81 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?