Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 What Should I Make with It?
 50 Yards or Less
 elann knittable sample skeins
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic   

moxie
Seriously Hooked

844 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2003 :  3:17:59 PM  Show Profile Send moxie a Private Message
quote:
52 sample skeins per year! Sample skeins are 10 yards each for the majority of yarns, 5 yards each for bulky yarns yielding 65 yards per 50g or less, and variable for rare precious yarns where Elann price is greater than $10.00 USD per 50g.

I've been collecting these for a few months, meaning to knit them into swatches when I have a moment. However, does anybody have a good idea for an entire project that could be made with these little twists of yarn?

Moxie

Milinda
Permanent Resident

USA
3817 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2003 :  3:50:11 PM  Show Profile Send Milinda a Private Message
Moxie, long time, no "see"!

M L
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2003 :  4:14:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
I just received the Patternworks holiday update catalog and the cover is a Christmas tree decorated with tiny little sweaters. The patterns are offered in a book on p.2 and each sweater is multicolored using a total of approx. 20 yards. Otherwise you'll have to make a patchwork something or maybe doll clothes or afghans for a dollhouse if you have any need for that.

Go to Top of Page

Lelani
Permanent Resident

USA
2005 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2003 :  5:03:22 PM  Show Profile Send Lelani a Private Message
Moxie, how do you get these elann sample skeins?

Lelani
Go to Top of Page

SandyD
Chatty Knitter

216 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2003 :  6:36:39 PM  Show Profile Send SandyD a Private Message
quote:
Moxie, how do you get these elann sample skeins?

Lelani,
You become an Elann sample skeins subscriber which costs I think about $45/yr. Toward the end of each month, you get their sample newsletter which shows their closeout offerings for the Tuesdays of the following month. You also get the sample skeins to knit up and test out how they wash/block. Past few months though I haven't been tempted by any of their closeouts, the choicest offerings have been their unpredictable oddball offerings!

I remember that this was brought up before on the Elann chat site, and someone suggested crocheting scrunchies and a crochet site with free scrunchie patterns,http://crochetpartners.org/patterns/. For some reason (all my knitting projects) didn't get around to it, but have bought elastic bands and a Leisure Arts pamphlet for scrunchies, so I'm ready for it, anyways!

SandyD

Go to Top of Page

moxie
Seriously Hooked

844 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2003 :  8:48:32 PM  Show Profile Send moxie a Private Message
Hee hee, ML!

I've been busy... on good things! more on that later.

Scrunchies are a great idea! The yarns are often an odd texture so that striped mittens, booties, etc. didn't seem to be quite right.

The mix of fibers might also cause trouble in terms of washing.

The benefit to being a sample skeins subscriber is that you get the cost back in terms of vouchers... as long as you spend enough (I think $2.50 off per $25 you spend). Click on the "Subscriptions" heading under "Products" in the sidebar on the left of the elann homepage.

Moxie
Go to Top of Page

Boogie
Permanent Resident

USA
3073 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2003 :  04:55:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Boogie's Homepage Send Boogie a Private Message
In the Vogue holiday edition they had a few patterns for shawls and such that used up scraps and were beautiful. I also saw a stunning afghan at a county fair this year that used many different yarns all together. It was gorgeous. I'm thinking of signing up now jsut to make myself a funky patchwork shawl or lap blanket.
:)amy

Go to Top of Page

knottyknitter
Permanent Resident

USA
3702 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2003 :  09:58:22 AM  Show Profile Send knottyknitter a Private Message
Sounds like they would be perfect for that "Freeform" knitting I've heard about and seen. I know my LYS has a class coming up in that techinique too, so it would be very worth checking out.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic   
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.53 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe