Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Machine Talk
 Super Duper Basic Beginner Talk
 Artisan knitting machine?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

melissajean
New Pal

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2007 :  4:05:47 PM  Show Profile Send melissajean a Private Message
I am TOTALLY new to machine knitting, as I am a long time hand knitter. A friend has spiked my interested and I have been doing a little research on the different brands. I went to a local shop who sells Silver Reed Machines and thought it was great....they told me it was the only manufacturer out there.

However, when researching I found info on the Artisan and it sounds GREAT from the discription...but I have NEVER used any machine, so I am skeptical. The Artisan can knit ribbing and do circular knittng....it also can knit from sprot weight to light worsted.

Can anyone give me first hand experience on this machine? Thank you!

Happy knitting

llinn
honorary angel

USA
1650 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2007 :  6:07:52 PM  Show Profile Send llinn a Private Message
Artisan seems to be a reincarnation of the Brother. A good friend was the director of the Brother knitting school for years and still gives workkshops and seminars on machine work. She loves the Brother above all machines. So I expect the Artisan will be a good machine.

But remember that machine knitting isn't hand knitting with funny tools. It really feels different and uses different techniques. As a hand knitter by preference, I was never overfond of any machine EXCEPT the bond. It's wonky and sloppy and knits all kinds of oddball novelties and double worsted and I can actually duplicate handknit gauges. I can knit stuff by hand and knit boring parts on the machine and I still feel like I'm doing it all.

So it's something to think about. Check some stores that sell both and see about trying the different kinds of machine.

Llinn
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?