Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Machine Talk
 Super Duper Basic Beginner Talk
 Which knitting mashine to buy?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Yelena_knitter
Seriously Hooked

USA
898 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2007 :  6:24:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Yelena_knitter's Homepage Send Yelena_knitter a Private Message
Hello
Today my husband told me, if he will take a good bonus in march- he may be able to buy knitting mashine for me.

I was so exited!!! But I have a very little experience with knitting mashine. My mother knitted on our neiboughr's knitting mashine a few year ago. It was Toyota, class 5. She made 2 sweaters for me and I helped her to make cuffs and other small details. That's all my experience with knitting mashine.

Which one better to buy???

Is it good to buy used mashine or it is not guaranteed???

Hope to hear your advice!

----------------------------
if you see some mistakes in my writting,please,correct me! I'm still in process of learning english...
--------------------
http://foto.int-world.com/user1723035.html
-------------------
http://www.myspace.com/yelmor
---------------------

Yelena.

Bernie
Chatty Knitter

Canada
115 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2007 :  03:44:38 AM  Show Profile Send Bernie a Private Message
Hi: There are different gauges of machines for different weights of yarn. There isn't one machine that will knit all yarns. First you will have to decide what weight yarn you would use the most. For example baby weight would be a standard gauge machine, sport and light worsted is done on a mid-gauge machine, and heavy worsted and chunky weight yarn on a Chunky machine. There is also a fine gauge machine for lace weight yarn, but these are extremely hard to find. There are electronic machines, and punch card machines, and machines with no patterning capabilities. Brother and Passap machines are no longer made, but a lot of replacement parts are still available. Singer still makes machines and parts are available. If you live where there is a machine knitting group, you should go visit and they can give you lots of information.
There are a lot of very good machines sold on ebay and privately, but it would help to have someone check it out for you. (Just like buying a car, good to have a mechanic check it out first)
Machine knitting is not hard, but like anything else it takes a lot of practice. Hope this helps, if you need more information let me know. I have several machines.
Bernie
Go to Top of Page

Yelena_knitter
Seriously Hooked

USA
898 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2007 :  07:41:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Yelena_knitter's Homepage Send Yelena_knitter a Private Message
Thank you, Bernie

I think I'll mostly make knitting in color(jackkard, mosaic). By the hands it takes lot of time. I heard Passap really good about that. It can take stitch patterns with many stitches in repeate.

Is it?

Thanks!

if you see some mistakes in my writting,please,correct me! I'm still in process of learning english...
--------------------
-------------------
---------------------

Yelena.
Go to Top of Page

Bernie
Chatty Knitter

Canada
115 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2007 :  4:34:41 PM  Show Profile Send Bernie a Private Message
Passap is also an excellent machine. It can do Double Jacquard, and there is a punch card machine and also an electronic machine, these are a standard gauge machine. To do Double Jacquard on these machines you will need a Deco, this is the punch card for the machine. Passap machines are no longer manufactured either. These are double bed machines and cannot be seperated. I've seen some on ebay for sale, if you are having a machine shipped to you, it will be expensive as knitting machines can be quite heavy.
As I said before, any knitting machine takes practice, there is a lot to learn on them.
Brother machines can also do double jacquard.
Bernie
Go to Top of Page

Yelena_knitter
Seriously Hooked

USA
898 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2007 :  07:24:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Yelena_knitter's Homepage Send Yelena_knitter a Private Message
Thank you, Bernie

I'm far away yet from march, but I'll think about it and I'll make search on knitting mashine

Thanks lot!

--------------------
-------------------
---------------------

Yelena.
Go to Top of Page

maggie@cooperfam.co.uk
New Pal

9 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2007 :  10:16:30 AM  Show Profile Send maggie@cooperfam.co.uk a Private Message
[/quote]I'm far away yet from march, but I'll think about it and I'll make search on knitting mashine
Thanks lot! Yelena.
Hi Yelena,Passaps are the Roll Royces of the knitting machines, they are true double bed machines which allow you to make wonderful stitch designs, fantastic Jacquard, slip, embossed and so many more designs. If you lived in Europe I would say to you, get one for sure. There are still plenty of spares, technicians and enthusiasts, but I don't know about America.
Silver Viscount is a machine that is still being manufactured, it was at one time sold as Knitmaster I believe. I have two of them with ribbers. The fine guage, which I knit 2 ply through to 4 ply on. the standard guage which I knit 2 ply through to fine double knit on, and it has a lace carriage. I also have 2 Brother knitting machines one without a ribber as I love its lace making knit carriage, and the tuck stitch so I bought two of the same model. I have the Brother 260, a chunky knitter, great for those yarns that resemble rope, they lack warmth though. I have my two Passaps, the duo 80 with deco unit, and the E6000 which one day soon will cease to function as it's an electronic and out of production. The purely mechanical ones will keep going forever. I have a Singer double bed which was an electronic, but the electronics are now scrambled and far too costly to warrant getting them fixed, so I use it as a plain rib or stocking stitch machine. Finally I have a Jones/Brother which must be 40 years old if not older and it still works. I did have others but those I "lent" to family and friends who after seeing mine in action wanted to try one. I don't ask for them back unless I know they are buying a new one.

So which machine for you, well first, a 24 stitch punchcard single bed machine to get patterns. A mechanical one, not electronic as when the electronics go, so does the machine. Brothers are wonderful but not produced any more and spares though plentiful, are finite. Singers are lovely but they have so many models out now and it's mind boggling working out which is which, same with the Brother machines. Look at the Silver machine. It's still manufactured, you can purchase the single bed machine first. then add the lace carriage, following year add the ribber. They don't keep relaunching it as a new model when they tweak it, so you're not being urged to keep changing model. That's what Brother, Toyota, and the Swiss knitters did, Passap just forgot who its market was and went too high tech and outpriced itelf.
If you live in an area that's really cold look at Norwegian sweaters, no thick wool, they are oiled 4 ply real wool which knits perfectly on a standard guage. Fishermens Ganseys, the windproof warm when wet real wool jumpers, knitted in a a slightly heavier 4 ply but still not double knit. That knits beautifully on a standard guage.
I use industrial yarns and wool, I buy in cones of 500 grammes up to 5 kilos, the weights o 1/20..1/28..1/14..2/30..2/28 and soon. I just ply them up myself. You'll find it's not much fun trying to knit hand knit yarn, the guages are too hit and miss and the descriptions wildly innacurate. Most knitting machine patterns are guaged for industrial weights not hand knits. So try sourcing yarns a well before you finally make a decision. Unlike hand knitting, you can knit make up and wear a jumper in a day, so you need all the yarn before you start.
The beauty of standard guage is it can make really warm fabric nd lovely lacey fabric for the summer. Best of both worlds.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.73 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe