Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Can felt be fixed?
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Machine Talk
 Standard Gauge Machines
 Knitmaster360
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

SandyUK
New Pal

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2007 :  07:23:51 AM  Show Profile  Send SandyUK a Yahoo! Message Send SandyUK a Private Message
Hi everyone, I am in Harrow UK. I have this machine but have only used the main bed to make a scarf and a baby blanket. Now I have attached the ribber (well hubby did it for me-he understands all that gibberish in the intruction manual).So,I notice the needles on the ribber are head to head with the ones on the main bed and wondered if this was correct? It says in the intructions (Japanese) the needles must 'confront' each other.So this is my interpretation. I have not attempted to use it yet,some help would be appreciated.
SandyUK

SandyUK

Bernie
Chatty Knitter

Canada
115 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2007 :  03:06:23 AM  Show Profile Send Bernie a Private Message
Hi: In the setup it does say that the needles must confront each other. Make sure before you knit that the half pitch lever is at P 5 for all ribs etc. The H position is used when all needles are in work as in a full needle rib. (this is shown on page 7 of the manual)
To do a small test first before actual knitting, bring a few needles out on the main bed in 1 in work 1 out work position, with the ribber up, bring out needles in between these needles, run the carriage across slowly, if carriage goes over the needles smoothly you will then be able to start knitting with yarn. If you need any more help just let me know. Just one thing to mention, on the main bed if this machine has been sitting awhile, you should check the needle retainer bar and make sure it is in good shape, if it isn't in good shape this could cause you a lot of problems.
Bernie
Go to Top of Page

maggie@cooperfam.co.uk
New Pal

9 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2007 :  9:25:27 PM  Show Profile Send maggie@cooperfam.co.uk a Private Message
HiSandy, I'm in Northamptonshire flower, theres some great machine kittersbooks, outof print but regularly offered on E Bay andamazon. Techniques in machine knitting, by KathleenKinder.ISBN 0713427167.
The Machine knitters dictionary, by Linda Gartshore. ISBN 0713441291Bible for machine knitters, Guide to Knitting techniques, The Silver knitting Institute Tokyo. NoISBN. Its companion book, Bible for machine knitting, How to Knit Garments. same compilers. The lasttwo books were written for the Silver machines, (Silver Reed in the USA and Canada, Silver Viscount here in England) The information they contain applies to all single bed knitting machines and ribbers. The knitmaster is identical to the Silver machines. Silver Viscount are in in Rushden and might know if the books are still available from Japan.
http://www.silverviscount.co.uk/ this is their web site. Extracts from the booksare still being used by machine knitting monthly as they areso clear and well laid out. The techniques easily understood and well illustrated, and the garment knitting is the same. Things like blocking out, finishing, waste knitting are all explained in clear easily understood English with no annoying jargon. Terms are explained and the whys and wherefors cataloged. The books answer questions you never knew you wanted to ask until you see the contents.

mags
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.28 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?