Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Machine Talk
 Standard Gauge Machines
 Sock pattern for the USM?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sissyshame
New Pal

5 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2007 :  08:03:48 AM  Show Profile Send Sissyshame a Private Message
I hand knit, and one of my favorite things to hand knit is socks. My poor DH does not have a pair, that I have done for him. His foot is so darn big, i get bored of just going around and around and around. So, recently I bought a USM and really am still learning it, but I am having success and I think I understand how the machine works. I made a garter bar. And I did kinda make a sock but it was a HK, MK combo deal and was too labor intensive and in the end was too small, not wide enough around the leg. It really was a can it be done project. Does anyone have a good sock pattern that will work on the USM?

[IMG]http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa258/sissyshame/handle.gif[/IMG]

Sissyshame
New Pal

5 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2007 :  7:26:03 PM  Show Profile Send Sissyshame a Private Message
Ok, some reads, but no answers. I have found this and it works well, I have already made a pair! They are beautiful with perfect seams, better than my hand knit ones were, and the work is less tedious. If you are interested.

http://heidisknittingroom.com/AltogetherSock&PicturesPageOne.htm

[IMG]http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa258/sissyshame/handle.gif[/IMG]
Go to Top of Page

SandyUK
New Pal

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2007 :  07:30:08 AM  Show Profile  Send SandyUK a Yahoo! Message Send SandyUK a Private Message
Thank you so much for this info. I have been dreaming of making socks on my machine. I have amassed patterns and different techniques, but its was all so confusing (I am new to machine knitting). Those bobby pins along the dges are such a great idea.Seeing it done makes it so clearer. I have also come across info on making sock weights out of old forks by bending the tines into little claws, making a hole in the other end and hanging the weight (which you can also make out of fishing weights).
Regards from the UK
sandyUK

SandyUK
Go to Top of Page

NastiJ
Permanent Resident

1288 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2007 :  1:04:23 PM  Show Profile Send NastiJ a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Sissyshame

Ok, some reads, but no answers.

FYI - I never looked at this because a USM is not a standard gauge machine.

Nancy J.

"Learning how to knit was a snap.It was learning how to stop that nearly destroyed me." Erma Bombeck
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe