Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Crochet Talk
 Crochet technique questions
 Felting crochet projects
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

knitnut05@yahoo.com
New Pal

33 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2007 :  11:34:16 PM  Show Profile Send knitnut05@yahoo.com a Private Message
This is the first time I have tried to felt a crocheted item. It doesn't seem to felt as well as knitted projects using the same yarn. Any ideas or experience with this same problem? I would like to make some felted flowers and crocheting them is so much easier then knitting. [:((]

Thanks,
Knitnut

SweaterGrrrl
Chatty Knitter

USA
334 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2007 :  09:11:14 AM  Show Profile Send SweaterGrrrl a Private Message
I tried it and found I needed to re-felt what I crocheted to get the effect I wanted. You have to remember that crochet will never behave the same way as knit--not necessarily a bad thing, they're just different.

BTW, Vogue Knitting-on-the-Go has a "Felted Crochet" book coming out (not sure of the date).

SweaterGrrrl
Go to Top of Page

sparkleplenty
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
484 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2007 :  09:18:50 AM  Show Profile Send sparkleplenty a Private Message
What stitch did you use? I've found double crochet felts best. I felted some crochet flowers and had good success. I made the kind that you roll up into a rose...I think I got the pattern from Lion Brand's site. Let me know if you want me to try to remember what I did. It was a couple years ago.

There's a book called Felted Crochet by Jane Davis that has some good explanations about felting crochet. There are some cute projects too.

sparkleplenty

http://sarah.teamradicus.com/art.htm
-------------------
If I have the belief that I can do it, I shall surely acquire the capacity to do it even if I may not have it at the beginning.
~Mahatma Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

knitnut05@yahoo.com
New Pal

33 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2007 :  7:16:41 PM  Show Profile Send knitnut05@yahoo.com a Private Message
I used double crochet. maybe it is the color. I used yellow. I am just going to knit the flowers even though it is more work!

Knitnut
Go to Top of Page

purlthis
Permanent Resident

USA
2752 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2007 :  7:24:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit purlthis's Homepage Send purlthis a Private Message
A gal who goes the the LYS with me has tried felting a few crocheted bags. They turned out very very wonky. I think she did them at her normal gauge, and it didn't have anywhere to shrink to. She likes them, but everyone else thinks they turned out weird. There is WAY too much stitch definition for me. We told her to go up a hook size or 2, just like in knitting.

Rachel
------------------------------------------------------
As I get older, I prefer to knit. Tracey Ullman
http://purledthis.blogspot.com/ UPDATED! WITH PICS!
Go to Top of Page

Bethany
Permanent Resident

USA
1546 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2007 :  9:17:48 PM  Show Profile Send Bethany a Private Message
I've never done it but I have friends who have felted crochet items successfully. I'll third, or fourth, or whatever going up a hook size or two. Crochet is naturally more dense than knitting, it needs room to shrink.
Go to Top of Page

KrazyKim
Chatty Knitter

USA
240 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2007 :  01:41:05 AM  Show Profile Send KrazyKim a Private Message
Knitnut,

I think I've read somehere that white doesn't felt as easily as other colors. Maybe the yellow is similar and really was the problem?

Kim, Playa del Rey, CA
Go to Top of Page

mertle
Permanent Resident

USA
1732 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2007 :  02:57:14 AM  Show Profile Send mertle a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by sparkleplenty

Let me know if you want me to try to remember what I did.

[:00]Sparkleplenty, I definitely relate to this statement! In other words, I ain't gonna try too hard to remember unless you really want/need me to! I'm sooooooo that way, too! And it gets worse with each passing year . . . [**]

Knitnut, my super SIL wanted to crochet and felt some small flowers but called me in distress that they didn't seem to change at all when she had done everything I had told her to do with the washer. So, we backed it all up a bit and discovered that she was trying to do it with her usual needles, usual gauge, etc. I advised her to do it much more loosely to the point of looking really big and weird. Tight knitting or crocheting won't get it - at least not for me. She loosened up and was ultimately successful.

Marilyn
Check out my bags here.
Go to Top of Page

sparkleplenty
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
484 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2007 :  06:40:15 AM  Show Profile Send sparkleplenty a Private Message
I forgot to add that in my post (Marilyn my memory is definitely failing!! :-)). Definitely use a hook size bigger than usual. It does help the felting. Yarns all felt differently and yellow just might not felt as well as another color. Although you might have good luck with a yellow in a different brand. Sometimes it just takes a little experimenting.

I used this pattern: http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/chs-rosettes.html?noImages=0 and I used either a J or K size hook with regular worsted weight yarn.

Hope that helps.

sparkleplenty

http://sarah.teamradicus.com/art.htm
-------------------
If I have the belief that I can do it, I shall surely acquire the capacity to do it even if I may not have it at the beginning.
~Mahatma Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

Katheroni
Permanent Resident

USA
1407 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2007 :  12:48:02 PM  Show Profile Send Katheroni a Private Message
I've felted crochet successfully (it was a rainbow-colored bag made of Lamb's Pride Worsted, FWIW). I did crochet it at a pretty loose gauage. Lemme tell ya, the fabric on that sucker is THICK.

I'm thinking the difference is basically how much yarn there actually is in the fabric. Crochet fabric is much thicker; the yarn loops in and out and all around to make a stitch that's a little more knot-like than a simple little loop, like the knit stitch. The whole thing is a lot more dense, even if you did crochet at a looser-than-normal gauge. It took me a long time to felt it. But it can work, just dont' give up!
Go to Top of Page

herbandteas
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
417 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2007 :  6:43:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit herbandteas's Homepage Send herbandteas a Private Message
I have felted using lion brand wool in a solid color and 2 different verigated colors. The pink color is loose stitch wise vs the blue color being dense. If you go to the link for my blog below then scroll down a bit you will be able to read about it there.

I have done felting more in crochet than I have in knitting. I knitted needle covers from Cat's treasury of felt book 2. The same pink color and it twisted when it felted but my crochet coffee cozies didn't.

Helaine in Olalla, Wa
View my blog @ http://misshelaineous.blogspot.com/
Women who behave rarely make history
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.53 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by