Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Crochet Talk
 Crochet technique questions
 triangles
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

seal
Chatty Knitter

USA
168 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2007 :  05:43:05 AM  Show Profile Send seal a Private Message
I am really a knitter, but do crochet occasionally when I find the right patterns/colors. I'm not as good with interpreting instructions in crochet, so maybe I'm mis-understanding something. I want to do an octagon-square afghan. The octagons are worked, and then 4 corners are put on to make them into squares.
The final round of the octagon is worked: 3 DC in next double crochet, work 5 DC in next 5 DC's, repeat. Simple enough.
Now for the corners: The pattern reads to join a CC in the last stitch of any 3 DC cluster, chain 1. Then 7 SC in next 7 DC, giving, I believe, the equivalent of 8 SC, if I include the chain 1 at the beginning of the row, Also, the last SC ends up in the last of the next 3 DC cluster, which seems to put the triangle off-center. The pattern then proceeds : ch 1, turn, Dec 1, 5 SC, Dec 1, chain 1, turn. If I follow the directions for Dec 1, which are "draw up a loop in the next 2 sts., YO and pull through all loops on needle", I don't have enough sts to execute the final decrease.
Could I instead begin a corner in the middle of a 3 DC cluster, work to the center of the next 3 DC cluster, and then ch1, turn, and make the decrease?
This pattern comes from a reputable book- I think Good Hosekeeping "All Time Great Afghans"- I don't have the book with me, obviously, but it's no fly-by night publication.
The pattern is really basic, discounting the annoying triangles. I just realized I had the perfect colors to combine, and I really want to make it. Hopefully someone with more experience can help!

gill 70
New Pal

8 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2007 :  07:10:42 AM  Show Profile Send gill 70 a Private Message
I am not an expert crocheter but I think if you have a found a different way to put on the triangles and they look ok then just do it ,it's the result at the end that counts and luckily with crochet it is easy to pull undone if needs be. I crocheted a baby blanket with roses in the middle of each square and had to adapt the size of the rose because I hadn't enough yarn . Just think "A blind man on a galloping horse won't see the difference" Just do it your way. Gill
Go to Top of Page

LoneKnitter
Chatty Knitter

USA
102 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2007 :  12:31:14 PM  Show Profile Send LoneKnitter a Private Message
I think instead of "then 7 SC in next 7 DC", you are supposed to 7 SC in same stitch as join (and ignore the chain as if it is not there)I have seen this in several instructions over my 30 years of crochet.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.52 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe