Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Felting Talk
 General Felting Discussion
 Knitting Vivian Hoxbro's Domino Bag
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LaurieD
Warming Up

80 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2007 :  4:43:47 PM  Show Profile Send LaurieD a Private Message
Have any of you ever knit the Felted Domino-Knitted Bag by Vivian Hoxbro? I have recently downloaded it and plan to make it. I have knitted the Dorothy Bag and the Market Squares Bag so I don't know why this one should intimidate me, but it does. I was just hoping someone could give me some tips that might help me get started.

Thanks!
Laurie

temari
Gabber Extraordinaire

497 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2007 :  10:14:40 PM  Show Profile Send temari a Private Message
Hi Laurie,

This isn't helpful, but I made a similar looking purse using a pattern (Felted Geometric Tote ~ I think that is the name of the pattern) in Iris Schrierer's book, Modular Knits. It was a fairly easy pattern. I think that Vivian Hoxbro's pattern has been up for a couple/few years, so you would think if there were errors, they would have been corrected by now. If you have problems with the pattern, you can always ask questions here!

Carolyn
Go to Top of Page

elizh
Permanent Resident

USA
1248 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2007 :  11:07:51 AM  Show Profile Send elizh a Private Message
I started it in a class she did, but never finished it. The Harrisville yarn is so thin and I've never made a felted project with size 5 needles. The process felt very small and picky. But since then I've made a shawl using that yarn, and I like the yarn a lot better now.

My one suggestion is to use a knitted cast on, and slip stitches at the beginning of the row as directed. It makes for easier picking up of stitches, and the knitted cast on matches and is not bulky. Doing the squares in the right order can also save on the number of ends you have to weave in.

She is a wonderful instructor, and a very lovely and generous person. Her designs are done with a great deal of care, and have been thoroughly thought through, so I wouldn't expect any mistakes, or a need to make any improvements on her ideas. She also has an astonishing sense of color. It was a privilege to spend a week with her on a knitting cruise.

I thought her comments on felting were interesting..."Just wash it with some undershirts. Do it as many times as necessary until it's how you want it." No need to put it in a pillowcase or anything. I haven't felted the Harrisville yarn before, but I would imagine that it felts "hard", i.e., not easily. But the resulting fabric is lovely, strong, yet not bulky. (I got to handle and inspect her original model of this bag that SHE made!)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.75 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe