Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Crochet Talk
 Crochet finishing for knits - questions and ideas
 Lost in translation (help!)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tyffaneesue
Gabber Extraordinaire

572 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2006 :  6:13:53 PM  Show Profile Send tyffaneesue a Private Message
I see that this part of the forum doesn't get a lot of traffic, but am giving my question a try in hopes that there are knitters-crocheters who can help translate.

As background: I have done nothing more complicated than basic crochet, and the garment in question is a Bouton d'Or.

The instructions read: "around jacket and sleeve, crochet as foll: 8 dc/tr in 1 st, skip 3/4", 1 sc/dc in foll st, skip 3/4"

I understand that dc/tr is double crochet and sc/dc is single crochet, and I also understand about skipping 3/4", but the rest has me totally flummoxed, in particular "8 dc in one st." The effect that I'm supposed to achieve is a scalloped edge, but there is no closeup of it.

Thank you!

WhiteStar
Chatty Knitter

199 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2006 :  06:49:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit WhiteStar's Homepage Send WhiteStar a Private Message
You do 8 double crochets into one stitch from the previous row.

Anne in Colorado
http://whitestarsams.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

LoneKnitter
Chatty Knitter

USA
102 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2006 :  6:27:54 PM  Show Profile Send LoneKnitter a Private Message
WhiteStar is right. They want you to dc 8 times into one stitch, skip 3/4", sc in the next stitch, skip 3/4", etc. this will produce a scalloped edge. If you want it more scallopy, replace the sc with a slip stitch (put hook through stitch indicated, wrap yarn around, pull through the stitch and the loop on the hook). This is a very basic scallop edge that has been used for a long long time. Essentially what happens is that the 8 dc stitches are fanned out over 1 1/2". The edges of the fan are anchored down by the sc stitches.

sort of like this . _\|/_

If you are still confused, try using google. Type in crochet and scallop. You should be able to find a tutorial or at least a picture.
Go to Top of Page

tyffaneesue
Gabber Extraordinaire

572 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2006 :  7:21:19 PM  Show Profile Send tyffaneesue a Private Message
Thanks! I did look up some online sites and have a crochet book with lots of illustrations, but crochet intimidates me. I appreciate the real live assistance--am hoping I might even be able to turn out something that looks like the pattern picture.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.31 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe