Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Stuck on a Pattern
 Knitty's "Fetching" Fingerless Gloves
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

CatKnitz
New Pal

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2006 :  3:06:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit CatKnitz's Homepage Send CatKnitz a Private Message
Can anyone suggest an alternate way to do the thumb stitches on "Fetching", Knitty's fingerless glove pattern?

(The pattern tells you to knit 7 stitches with waste yarn, put them back on the needle and then knit them with the working yarn). Later you carefully remove the waste yarn and pick these stiches up.

I am new to glove knitting, fingerless or not, and I had a hard time removing the waste yarn and finding the stitches.

Would there be a way to slip the stitches on to a stitch holder instead of the waste yarn?
HELP! I have done the left hand and my right hand is getting COLD!!!
Many thanks.

KarenP
Chatty Knitter

172 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2006 :  4:07:44 PM  Show Profile  Send KarenP a Yahoo! Message Send KarenP a Private Message
I think you could slip the seven stitches onto a holder and cast on 7 stitches using the single cast-on method. Then when you go to knit the thumb, you'll have to pick up 7 stitches where you cast them off earlier.

Cheers,

Karen

QUIT SLOUCHING!!!
Go to Top of Page

eknits
New Pal

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2006 :  10:11:03 AM  Show Profile Send eknits a Private Message
When I knit the gloves and used the waste yarn for the thumb, I think I picked up the stitches on the wrong side... I wish I had taken a snapshot of it. If you use a contrasting color, when you look on the wrong side of the thumb hole, you should see the stitches that need to be put on your needle in between the waste yarn. Let's say X represents waste yarn and - represents the stiches you want to pick up. The inside of the thumb hole would look like this:

X - X - X - X - X - X - X
X - X - X - X - X - X - X - X

After you place each - stitch on your needle, then remove the waste yarn (X). Then, since I picked up the stitches on the wrong side I had to finagle the double-pointed needle so that it was on the right side to begin knitting. I remember it worked perfectly. I still had to pick up a couple of extra stitches to close up a gap. Good luck!
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe