Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Knitting for Babies and Children
 Question on baby toy
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

slogerot
New Pal

41 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2006 :  8:44:05 PM  Show Profile Send slogerot a Private Message
I'm knitting the stuffed elephant from Last Minute Knitted Gifts. I'm on the head and I've been knitting in the round on two circs. I have 24 sts on each needle currently. Directions say: K6, k12, place last 12 sts on a holder, k6 to end front needle, k24 sts of back needle -- 36 sts on needles; 12 sts on holder at center front.

All was well until after I k6, k12 and placed the 12 on the holder. At this point my needles are funky. Because I have the 12 in the middle on a holder, I don't know how to knit the next stitches. Does this make sense? It's hard to explain without a picture. Can anyone help please?

blwinteler
Permanent Resident

USA
3145 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2006 :  9:14:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit blwinteler's Homepage  Send blwinteler a Yahoo! Message Send blwinteler a Private Message
What are the next directions? That info will help us to understand better what they want you to do.

Take care!
Brandy

My finished projects

[img]http://members.cox.net/blwinteler/th_TeamVegas2.jpg[/img]
Go to Top of Page

slogerot
New Pal

41 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2006 :  07:33:49 AM  Show Profile Send slogerot a Private Message
Well, it says we're going to start knitting back and forth in preparation for the elephant's trunk. The part I'm at is the first row of this back and forth section.

Directions say: K6, k12, place last 12 sts on a holder, k6 to end front needle, k24 sts of back needle -- 36 sts on needles; 12 sts on holder at center front.

Do you need more?
Go to Top of Page

blwinteler
Permanent Resident

USA
3145 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2006 :  12:47:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit blwinteler's Homepage  Send blwinteler a Yahoo! Message Send blwinteler a Private Message
Yes, what follows? Are you just knitting the 36 stitches? If you are knitting back and forth, that is not too hard. Start at the stitches next to the ones on the holder, knit across the live stitches until you are at the other side of the 12 on hold, turn and go the other way. Did that make any sense?
One thing that might make it easier is to put the live stitches on one needle and work back and forth that way.
If you give the next directions, perhaps I can help more.

Take care!
Brandy

My finished projects

Go to Top of Page

slogerot
New Pal

41 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2006 :  8:58:56 PM  Show Profile Send slogerot a Private Message
Ok, the next row's directions are: Knit the first 6 sts of front needle, turn, and purl back acros all 36 sts.

I think my problem is this: I have the first 6 sts I knit on one side of the circ. I put the next 12 sts I knit on a stitch holder. So now, one needle (on the right) has 6 sts on it. I don't know how to knit the remaining 6 sts on the other side of the row because my needles are far apart because of the stitch holder between them. Yuck, so complicated!

Thanks for your help, btw. I don't know anyone IRL who knits so I'm dependent on the boards when I can't drive out to my LYS. :)
Go to Top of Page

blwinteler
Permanent Resident

USA
3145 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2006 :  9:09:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit blwinteler's Homepage  Send blwinteler a Yahoo! Message Send blwinteler a Private Message
Perhaps, instead of a holder, you should put the stitches on some scrap yarn. That will be flexible, so you can get to the other stitches. Just take a yarn needle and thread some yarn through the stitches, then tie it into a loop.
But yeah, knit the 6 at that end and turn it all around, knitting (or purling) those 6, the 24 on the back, and the other 6 stitches.
Where are you at? Perhaps someone here can direct you to a group in your area. That is how I found the local group here in Vegas.

Take care!
Brandy

My finished projects

Go to Top of Page

slogerot
New Pal

41 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2006 :  07:26:32 AM  Show Profile Send slogerot a Private Message
Thanks for all your help! I'm in Austin, TX.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.59 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe