Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Stuck on a Pattern
 K3T Question
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Yaya
New Pal

15 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2006 :  12:13:06 PM  Show Profile Send Yaya a Private Message
Hi! I got help on this forum the last time I had trouble, so I know you'll are an amazing group. Thank you in advance! My question is about some instructions for a small bag pattern #2 from "Knit It" from March 2002. It calls for the body having a stockinette stitch, but at the beginning and end you do a Cable Pattern:

Row1: K2,P2 Row 2:P2,K2 Row 3:Repeat Row 1, Row 4: (This is the one I'm having trouble with) P2; *(leaving sts on left needle, k3tog then insert right-hand needle between the 2 sts just knitted tog and k the first stitch again. Sl both sts from needle at the same time-cable made), p2;rep from *across.
Rep rows 1-4 for Cable Pattern

If I knit 3 tog, why does it say "between the 2 sts just knitted tog"? I tried doing it literally, but I end up with the 4 rows and repeats being wider than the body of the purse. In the picture, the cable rows look narrower than the body, as the purse flares out a little after the cable rows.

I also did a small swatch and tried K2Tog, and that was a lot easier, but the shape ended up even, no flaring. I am also wondering if in doing the 4 row pattern I am supposed to end up with fewer stitches on the needle? I hope I am clear as to what I'm trying to explain.

Thanks!

YarnGoddess
Permanent Resident

USA
2460 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2006 :  2:23:40 PM  Show Profile Send YarnGoddess a Private Message
That sounds like it might be a typo. What you're describing is a right twist (one of my favorite stitches). Knit 2 together, leave it on the needle, insert your needle between the stitches and knit the first one then slip the whole thing off your needle. It makes a teeny tiny cable. Check your stitch count to be sure you've still got the correct number of stitches.

Elizabeth
Zipper & Diva

A sense of humor can help you tolerate the unpleasant, cope with the unexpected, overlook the unattractive and smile through the unbearable.

To learn more about healthy nutrition for your cat, go here: http://www.catnutrition.org and here: http://www.catinfo.org/
Go to Top of Page

Yaya
New Pal

15 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2006 :  4:06:54 PM  Show Profile Send Yaya a Private Message
Thank you Elizabeth! That sounds like it makes more sense to me. Like I said, when I did the 'K2tog' it looked more like the picture on the mag, but the stitch count was the same as I started out with. I thought perhaps there was supposed to be a decrease in the #of stitches for the bottom part of the purse to 'flare' out a bit. In the pic it almost has a fan shape, narrower at the top, then a little wider once it's past the cabled area. Anyway, thanks for your help, I think I can do that!
Yaya
Go to Top of Page

Yaya
New Pal

15 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2006 :  5:01:40 PM  Show Profile Send Yaya a Private Message
YarnGoddess, just a quick update here. Wanted to thank you again for your help! The purse is coming along smoothly. I cannot emphasize enough how great it is to have an instant help resource such as this! Were it not for you guys, I would have had to give up on my projects.
This is my favorite knitting site!
Yaya
Go to Top of Page

YarnGoddess
Permanent Resident

USA
2460 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2006 :  1:33:46 PM  Show Profile Send YarnGoddess a Private Message
You're most welcome! Glad to know it worked out for you. I just love doing that little twisty stitch.

Elizabeth
Zipper & Diva

A sense of humor can help you tolerate the unpleasant, cope with the unexpected, overlook the unattractive and smile through the unbearable.

To learn more about healthy nutrition for your cat, go here: http://www.catnutrition.org and here: http://www.catinfo.org/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.84 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe