Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Seeking Nearby Knitters
 Knitters/Spinners in Rochester, NY ?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sarah_knits
Chatty Knitter

161 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2006 :  12:49:43 PM  Show Profile Send sarah_knits a Private Message
I had great luck finding a wonderful knitting group in Seattle through KR a few years ago, and they made me promise that I would try again! I just moved to Rochester from Seattle. I don't know anyone here! (Except my husband, who is a new doctoral student at the Eastman School of Music.) Would anyone like to meet up for a coffee or tea sometime? I don't bite and I promise not to steal your yarn.

Sarah

LittleMousling
Permanent Resident

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2006 :  3:19:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit LittleMousling's Homepage Send LittleMousling a Private Message
Hi Sarah! I'm away at school and am of no help to you, but I can tell you there are several groups of knitters who meet up regularly, especially during the "school year." A couple meet at the Pittsford B&N, if you're near there, and at least one in Gates, one in Fairport, and several farther out. There's a lot of information about the groups on the Knitty Coffeeshop, for some reason.

I assume you've already found SpiritWorks in Irondequoit? If not, I can't recommend it highly enough. Also don't skip Village Yarns in Midtown, despite the location - great stock and an amazing selection of good ol' wools from big and small mills and companies. And as long as you're not allergic to dogs, Wild Wools on South Ave is a fun stop.

-Molly, obsessive but not exclusive socknitter
Stash photos, WIPs and some FOs
Go to Top of Page

sarah_knits
Chatty Knitter

161 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2006 :  07:49:09 AM  Show Profile Send sarah_knits a Private Message
Hi Molly,
Thanks for the leads. I haven't been to any of the LYSs yet -- I live pretty close to downtown Rochester (Park Ave area is what it's called??) but I don't have a car so I haven't seen much of the surrounding communities. I'll definitely check out Village Yarns and Wild Wools soon ... those both seem to be within walking range for me.
Sarah
Go to Top of Page

LittleMousling
Permanent Resident

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2006 :  11:13:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit LittleMousling's Homepage Send LittleMousling a Private Message
Ooh, a lovely neighborhood indeed. Yes, Wild Wools should definitely be within walking distance; Village Yarns would at least be biking distance.

Did you move there early enough to experience the Park Avenue Festival? It's quite a shindig.

-Molly, obsessive but not exclusive socknitter
Stash photos, WIPs and some FOs
Go to Top of Page

sarah_knits
Chatty Knitter

161 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2006 :  1:41:26 PM  Show Profile Send sarah_knits a Private Message
I walked to Village Yarns today -- from where I live (between Park & East) it seemed closer than Wild Wools. I was really impressed by the selection for a yarn store that's advertised as being in the back of a book store!
I missed the Park Ave festival by a few weeks, but maybe next year!
Go to Top of Page

HilaryL
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
360 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2006 :  2:16:14 PM  Show Profile Send HilaryL a Private Message
Sarah,
Welcome to Rochester! You should come to the next Knitting Guild meeting on Oct. 9 (the website is http://www.rochesterknitting.org) at Temple Brith Kodesh in Brighton. The Guild newsletter also has info re. various knitting groups.
I love the Village Yarn Shop; sometimes it can be overwhelming though so for a quick stop I often go to Knit 'n Purl at 12 Corners, which is easier for me to get in and out of. Rochester is crawling with yarn stores!
Let me know if you need help with transportation to a Guild meeting ...
Hilary

http://hilaryknitstoo.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

artsyfish

Posted - 09/28/2006 :  07:27:18 AM  Show Profile Send artsyfish a Private Message
I currently live in Virginia Beach, but will be visiting relatives Thanksgiving week in Rochester. We have a group that meets weekly here even on holidays. Will any groups be meeting that week?

I'm thinking of moving back to town and want to make sure I can get my fiber fix on a regular basis! The knitting guild looked interesting (Sally Melville!?)

Thanks for any info you can give me.

Joanne
Go to Top of Page

HilaryL
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
360 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2006 :  1:58:55 PM  Show Profile Send HilaryL a Private Message
Joanne,
The Guild's list of groups that meet regularly should be out soon; I can let you know if there are any scheduled for Thanksgiving week. (You can check the store websites too.)
I am hoping Sally Melville is still on, however Annie Modesitt is scheduled to come in the spring so I'm not sure.
Hilary

http://hilaryknitstoo.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.5 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.