Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Designers Forum
 Help, how to increase for cable
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Beenispired
New Pal

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2006 :  12:37:57 PM  Show Profile Send Beenispired a Private Message
Hi, I still very new, so I have a question for the more experienced. I am trying to word a pattern I hope to publish. It is a 16 st cable pattern after a cast on ribbing. The gauge is 13 sts/ 4", so the cable needs more stitches to match the gauge on the rest of the sweater. Should I write the directions so the increases are on the same sts as the cable, or just evenly distribute them over the front?

Thank you
Colleen

sarah@k_rev
Warming Up

67 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2006 :  3:16:45 PM  Show Profile Send sarah@k_rev a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Beenispired

I am trying to word a pattern I hope to publish. It is a 16 st cable pattern after a cast on ribbing. The gauge is 13 sts/ 4", so the cable needs more stitches to match the gauge on the rest of the sweater. Should I write the directions so the increases are on the same sts as the cable, or just evenly distribute them over the front?

It really depends on quite a number of factors, and the effect you're hoping to achieve. Are your cables to be repeated across the entire width? Or is it just a single 16st panel? Where are the knits & purls of the rib falling ? And where are the knits & purls of the cable going to be? What standard of knitters are you targetting your pattern at?

It is usually easier (particularly for less experienced knitters) to make an increase less obtrusive if it's worked on a k stitch, rather than purl, so you may want to work out exactly where you want the increases to be, if it's to be in harmony with both the rib as well as the pattern stitch. Many patterns say 'increase x sts evenly across the row' but some knitters may not have the experience to determine where best to place those increases.

Sarah
--
http://www.sarahdurrant.com
Go to Top of Page

Beenispired
New Pal

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2006 :  09:15:12 AM  Show Profile Send Beenispired a Private Message
Thanks, This is just one panel in the center. If I think I'll then work it in on the knit side, and try to count so that the increase in the cable happens then has the right count after the increase, then work the pattern. Is pattern writting always so hard? When I knit for myself, I guess I never have to worry if sts are a little off. I'm sure it pays to be fussy.
Thanks again
Colleen
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2006 :  10:30:10 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
When I write out a pattern, I pretend that I am writing it for the dumbest knitter I know. You can't rely on the reader to compensate for what you have left out.

fran

http://martianmischief.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.5 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.