Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Knitting for Babies and Children
 Help with Easy Baby Cardigan
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Charigot
Chatty Knitter

185 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2006 :  7:15:01 PM  Show Profile Send Charigot a Private Message
Hi there, thanks for your help in the past w/the Seedling cardi. It is going along nicely, ready to do the arms! I needed another distraction, though and decided to make this easy thing:
http://www.knittingpureandsimple.com/babycardi.html

although I am not sure I have enough yarn for the hood so I decided to do the collar instead. Directions for the collar say:

"For collar only version, cast on 50 ( 54, 60, 64,) sts. Work in
garter stitch for 2 1/4 ( 2 , 2 3/4, 3) inches."

This is knit from the top down. Wouldn't you think I'd have to increase a bit to make the collar fold over correctly? I've been thinking about doing it in seed stitch instead of garter (just my personal preference). Should I increase instead of just knitting straight?

Thanks for your opinions!
Jen

Angelika
Chatty Knitter

USA
252 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2006 :  7:42:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Angelika's Homepage Send Angelika a Private Message
I've not done that pattern, but I've done some of her others. Diane has you increase on the outside edge. She did them in garter stitch.
I've done the Children's Bulky Neckdown Jacket #249.
[img]http://www.yarn-store.com/images/kps/kps249.jpg[/img]

Thank You !! [img]http://www.yarn-store.com/bowing-angelika.gif[/img] Angelika
www.yarn-store.com
On the Southern Oregon Coast !
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2006 :  9:03:05 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
quote:

This is knit from the top down. Wouldn't you think I'd have to increase a bit to make the collar fold over correctly? I've been thinking about doing it in seed stitch instead of garter (just my personal preference). Should I increase instead of just knitting straight?

The collar will fold over correctly because the back neckline is higher than the front neckline. The collar Angelika posted is curved around the outer edge and that is why it needs decreases. Round collars need decreases. Without the decreases the collar would flare slightly, but that is what you want it to do with a rectangular collar. Just follow the pattern, it is okay. With seed stitch you will need to go down in needle size. Use the same size you plan on using for ribbing.

fran

http://martianmischief.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

frenetic@charter.net
Permanent Resident

1386 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2006 :  03:59:19 AM  Show Profile Send frenetic@charter.net a Private Message
OOhhh that sweater is too cute!
Sharon
Go to Top of Page

Charigot
Chatty Knitter

185 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2006 :  06:41:01 AM  Show Profile Send Charigot a Private Message
Thanks Fran. I will just trust the pattern and continue on. (Angelika, there are no decreases or increases indicated in this pattern.) Thanks for your reassurance! I hope the size 18 mos fits my daughter. There are no schematics and she is almost 18 mos, but running right along with that size in most clothes.
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2006 :  08:07:54 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
Your daughter is approaching an age where she will not change too much in her circumference but will get taller. Get her length measurements and use them to check your pattern. I always make children's sweaters 2 inches longer so they can wear them at least 2 years. I also make the sleeves long enough before I do the ribbing on them, then I make 3 inches of ribbing. It can be folded twice if necessary, but can be folded down as she gets taller. There is another trick I use at the underarm. Lowering the underarm about 1/2 inch will let children wear the sweater a year to 18 months longer, but there is a way to rescue sweaters that have snug underarms so that they can continue wearing them. Let me know if you are interested in that technique.

fran

http://martianmischief.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2006 :  09:09:22 AM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message
What a cute pattern.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

Charigot
Chatty Knitter

185 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2006 :  09:19:24 AM  Show Profile Send Charigot a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by fmarrs

Your daughter is approaching an age where she will not change too much in her circumference but will get taller.

True, true. Thanks for the reminder. I have a 4yo son who gains about only 5-6 pounds per year, but 4 inches in height. (my kids are tall, like my husband and me)

I am using a Henry's attic merino I bought some years ago on ebay and can't remember the yardage. It's a periwinkle shade and dk weight. Very soft. Was all one hank, but seems to have a lot of yardage, but I don't know if it has 400+ so that's why i'm doing the collar instead of the hood. I'm hoping it's the Kona Superwash DK and then would have 560 yards per half pound...

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.59 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe