Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Dyeing Discussion
 Dyeing Basics
 Need suggestions for color/overdyeing
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2395 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2006 :  07:35:39 AM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message
If you had some Merino wool that is now pale peach, minty green and deeper blue (dyed with Jacquard) and you had Cherry Red, Emerald, Sun Yellow, Sky Blue, Violet and Deep Orange to work with, what would you use to overdye it? It's enough to knit a sweater and I wanted deeper, bolder color but over-diluted the dyes. Thanks for any suggestions!

azblue
------------------------------------------------------------------
So much to learn, so little time.

ForestBird
Chatty Knitter

USA
265 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2006 :  8:17:52 PM  Show Profile Send ForestBird a Private Message
What I usually do is look at the colors I have and break them down to their components, i.e. peach is a sort of pale orange, which is yellow and red, minty green is a sort of pale green, which is yellow and blue, and lastly you have a blue (deep). It would be nice if you could ascertain if the blue tends to warm or cool. All colors have a warm (yellow or red) or cool (blue) tone to them. Blue is never just blue. There is no universal agreement as to what is blue.

But I digress. After breaking down the colors, I would look for the common denominator, if there is one. I would pick, say, yellow from the peach and the green, and use it to overdye. That way one is merely making the peach and green more saturated with yellow, and the blue, whatever it is, would become some sort of green.

If you want to be daring you could use the complement of one of the colors, say red to the minty green, which would make the peach more red with some yellow, the blue would turn purple, and the green - which is the complement of red - might turn some sort of brown. If the green were any more bright, the complement might even turn out some sort of deep grey or a type of black.

Try a test swatch and see. Hope that helps.

"Art is the imposing of a pattern on experience, and our aesthetic enjoyment is recognition of the pattern."
Alfred North Whitehead, Dialogues (1954)
Go to Top of Page

yarnmama
Seriously Hooked

880 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2006 :  8:21:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit yarnmama's Homepage Send yarnmama a Private Message
I would probably go with the deep orange at a depth of shade of 2.5 or 3. the places wher you have green may be a brownish and the blue places may be a muted gray, but I think it could work. If the overdye is deep color and the uderlying dye weak, you might not get any show through at all. Good luck!

Catherine Harrison
owner of Knitting Notions:Kettle Dyed yarns, Hardwood yarn swifts and more
http://www.knittingnotionsonline.com
Go to Top of Page

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2395 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2006 :  07:14:53 AM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message
Thanks! The blue is from a watered down Violet so maybe it's warm? <I have so MUCH to learn.> It's very light in most places and darker in others. I'll definitely experiment this weekend with the colors suggested and see which is a winner. And if nothing works, I could always make a beautiful baby blanket and then wait for the baby...and hope the busy Mom doesn't hate me for giving her something that would have to be handwashed. Again, thanks for the suggestions.

azblue
Go to Top of Page

Shelia
Permanent Resident

USA
2367 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2006 :  08:57:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shelia's Homepage Send Shelia a Private Message
Or, as a friend of mine (a professional weaver) says, when in doubt, overdye with fuschia. You would get some warm browns, purples, and pinky-reds. What have you got to lose?

Shelia
www.letstalkstash.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2395 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2006 :  12:41:36 PM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message
Alright! another color to put in the mix. Thanks :) Hmmmm...how do I get fuschia with the colors I have on hand?

azblue
Go to Top of Page

natashafialkov
New Pal

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2006 :  9:05:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit natashafialkov's Homepage Send natashafialkov a Private Message
i hope this helps, but a lot of the dyes that jacquard makes are not pure pigment. this means that they are made up of a bunch of colors mixed together. this is why when you overdye something, or mix colors, they will sometimes pull a strange color totally different than what you wanted or expected. i would suggested taking a few yards and experimenting so you don't end up with something ugly, unless you are pretty laid back about that sort of thing. i have an art background and am very good at mixing paint colors, but when i mix dyes, and overdye, the results are not reliable. i am not super picky, so it doesn't bother me, but if it is a lot of yarn, it might be wise to check. hope that helps! you may want to stick with the same colors but just use them at a stronger hue...
Go to Top of Page

truly violet
Permanent Resident

6398 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2006 :  04:24:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit truly violet's Homepage Send truly violet a Private Message
I love fucshia

ok I over dye stuff alot
I overdyed knitpicks shimmer in the happydance.....I overdyed it with a deep blue red

there are a few things I think about before I decide .... will the purple and yellow bronze or will they gray....
what overall color to I really want to see.....

( I overdyed a really ugly varagated green mix with blues until I got an interesting teal.... that one went through the dye vat quite a few times )

so
if it was me....
I would first LOOK at the colors.
then figure which one of them I want to live with..... and over dye and tone with that...

folks here all gave you a LOT of good advise for all the different ways of playing with color...
( where were THEY when I was in art school and had to do those endless color boards???)

vi

none of this will matter in 100 years.......
except I will finally be at my goal weight...vi
http://notashyviolet.blogspot.com/ ~now with chickens!
Go to Top of Page

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2395 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2006 :  07:15:45 AM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message
I experimented with the dyes I have on hand and the first colors I used disappeared. Maybe I didn't dilute the second dye enough (I didn't want a solid color but that may be what I end up with). I put it away for now and will pull it back out when I get my holiday knitting done. If I had to do it over again, I would have spun the Merino first and then dyed it instead of dying it first and then spinning it. Oh, well....live and learn. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll print this page off and store it with the fiber.

azblue
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.61 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by